Electricity & Water Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by shadow Star rating in Northern Ireland. 10 posts Send private message

Does anyone know what the charges are for connecting electicity and water in Marbella region? 

Like 0      
26 Nov 2006 10:03 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

HI Shadow if you PM Spanish Inquisition he should be able to answer your Q. Seem to recall that it is 200€ to contract the water supply not sure on leccy but got an idea it is simply a quation of changing the account name although most lawyers will charge you for this if they do it for you.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Nov 2006 10:42 PM by shadow Star rating in Northern Ireland. 10 posts Send private message

Hi Smiley

Thanks for your help.  You really are a mind full of information!!

Like 0      
22 Feb 2007 9:46 PM by OZZIE Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

We took over our show apartment in Marbella 6 weeks ago and stayed there for 10 days, all utilities had already been connected by the developer who agreed to pay the bills until electricity/water and been transferred into our name.  Our Spanish lawyer contacted us today to say that the water contract would cost us 750 euros, which came as a shock.   We don't know the name of the water company but can anyone suggest utility companies to deal with?  Is this charge in line with other people's experience?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2007 11:22 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2007 11:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
That does seem rather steep Ozzie.  JeansSis is right, it's around the 200 Euro mark.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Feb 2007 11:41 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Ozzie sounds to me like youre being rooked if its 750 for water - normally about 200€ with Aguagest. 750€!!! Daylight robbery unless you are being charged for water usage by the developer before the contract was put in your name or your lawyer was charging you an extortionate fee for setting contracts uo for you  just for the reason you dont know better. Tell your brief you wnat a breakdown and to see the bill from the water company itemising how the charge is so high.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 12:51 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Utilities basically are monopolies here, you don't get a choice.

I believe Sevillana Endesa cover all Andalucia for electric (could be wrong). We paid €150 to connect 3 years ago, this included €30 fianza, which is a deposit on your meter. (This is theoretically refundable, but since you are unlikely to return the meter when selling the property on, you might as well write it off!) It's possible to buy your meter, in which case you won't have to pay rental charges on it on every subsequent bill. Don't know how much it costs, so can't tell you whether it's worth it or not. We have a 5.5kw supply, which is more than adequate for the type of appliances we use. It is possible to request less if you think you don't need it, and you will pay a little less in standing charges in this case. For example, 3.3kw would be more than ample for a studio probably.

At the same time, we contracted our water with Astosam. Each municipality has it's own provider. We paid €42 to connect, plus €54 fianza. The cost may be calculated according to how many bogs & basins you have, maybe on the size of your drains. Perhaps Ozzie lives in a palace with gold taps and pipes you can park the Rolls in?

I see no reason to pay anyone to get these services connected - it's really not difficult. Just go to the relevant offices with a copy of your title deed, the obligatory ID, spare photcopies of every piece of paper you can find, and most importantly, the boletins from the developer, which he should provide you with as soon as the First Occupation Licence has been issued.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 1:30 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you are buying a resale property, there may be a charge for changing the name on the contracts (i.e transferring the existing contracts into your name). Many people don't bother, and just change the name on the billing address. I think it is advisable to make sure the contract is in your name

In our area there is a charge of €12 to change the electric contract into a new owners name. I'm not sure what the charge for changing a water contract is. Also, in our municipality, if you are registered on the electoral role (empadronamiento) you are eligible for a significant discount on water and rubbish rates. This has been challenged in the European Courts as unfair to non-resident property owners, but since anyone owning a property can register on the electoral role, it still stands. The council did this partly to encourage more people to sign up, since the more people registered, the more dosh they get from central govt. (and the more dosh they can then embezzle, rather than improve the infrastructure!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 10:02 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

If its' any help, we paid €75 connection for Electric and €50 for water.

Be careful though, as our builder charged us, which we paid, then both utility companies charged us again on our first bills.

I took ages to get the money back off the builder.

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 2:21 PM by Brian and Helen Star rating in Shipley,West Yorkshi.... 19 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

We were charged €1000 at the notary in November 2006 for the change from builders supply to ours,this was combined water and electric.Our bank manager and legal advisor said this was normal.  

Brian

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 3:14 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We've been given a bill, payable when we move in, for 901 euros for the following:

Obtaining the electrical installation bulletin
       Supplying of water and electricity contracts and meters and connections
       Licence for connecting to the water network and contract
       Licence for connecting to sewage
       Registration with the local rates department
       Certificate of Habitation
       Management expenses
Seems fair to me                      

This message was last edited by bobaol on 2/23/2007.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 11:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

This is becoming an interesting thread, particularly I would think for anyone who is yet to complete on a new property. I admit to having limited experience, but look at the figures that Fibby and I paid, then look at what Brian & Helen and Bobaol are being charged. Seems a bit of an anomaly to me.

Bobaol, it looks to me like your developer (or lawyer) is just making up things to charge you for. I would check your contract carefully to find out why you are being charged for the boletins (bulletins), registration at rates dept., and especially Certificate of Habitation. Is your property part of an urbanization, or have you built an independent dwelling on your own land? And management expenses? Management of what, exactly?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2007 12:02 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I am reading more and more about the builders making these charges just lately.

Certainly when we completed in 2003 this was not the normal procedure.

I wonder if this is a new thing, or a "scam" to get more money out of buyers?

I think Maria de Castro should be consulted on this subject, contact her, she is a font of knowledge on EOS.

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 9:54 PM by OZZIE Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your replies on water charges.  I have contacted the developers who say that they have had other buyers

complaining about this charge and are looking into it, so we will wait to see!  For the lady who mentioned Ocean Pines

(Benhavis) previously, we are about to travel out again next  Thursday 9/3/07 so will post another report  on this site when

we return.

ozzie 

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 11:11 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Whoops I am a thicko.  Didn't stick the decimal point in.  Charge is €90 point 1. That is 90.10 euros.  Aren't I silly??

Sorry bout that.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 11:17 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 4:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Brian & Helen - CHECK YOUR DECIMAL PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob - now we all know why health care is so expensive - not only can doctors not write legibly, they multiply everything by 10!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 7:05 PM by Brian and Helen Star rating in Shipley,West Yorkshi.... 19 posts Send private message

Wish i was missing a decimal point,but it was one thousand euros withdrawn from our bank by the manager who took it to the notary and handed it over for the water and electric,it shows on our bank statement as a cash withdrawl at counter.

When anybody else gets their keys for El rincon,Costa  Blanca, will you post and let us know how much you paid for your transfer of utilities cos i would love to get a massive refund.

Cheers Brian

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 11:30 PM by dealerjm Star rating. 47 posts Send private message

Hi All

I started a thread but pleased to see, thanks to Fibby, that the same thread is already in discussion.

Reading the content these charges seem to be a builders 'perk' as they appear to be random.

Just for information, my completion statement shows 985 Euros for Water connection, 556.80 Euros for Electricity connection and 750 Euros for 6 months advance use of both Water and Electricity. My solicitor is seeking copies of  the documentation served on the builder by the utility companies.  I guess we might be at the property a maximum of 6 weeks over that initial 6 month period so either the builder thinks we have a hygiene problem or my wifes a mermaid!

Needless to say we won't be paying these amounts.

Just as an aside and possibly another thread.......720 Euros for 'receiving an occupancy licence'  Does this mean I am paying for my own habitation certificate?     Mind boggling!!!!   

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts
hotels that allow dogs - 3 posts
Want to get online? - 13 posts
Friendly Forum - La Maina Urb & Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Choose your removal company wisely - 4 posts
Entertainment - 1 posts
Wood burning stove ,costa del sol - 6 posts
Completion Of Bosque de las Lomas 3 - 2 posts
Best mortgage deal ? - 45 posts
CONGRATULATIONS EYE ON SPAIN - 11 posts
Golf Invest - 3 posts
sierra nevada skiing - 1 posts
mabella property demolition - 2 posts
Community Pools - 10 posts
Well ! It's September - 6 posts
So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish? - 72 posts
Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts
Christmas Dinner Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Resort Membership - 3 posts
Playa Flamenca/Punta Prima - Costa Blanca - 7 posts
undersized apartments - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x