So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jan 2007 5:22 PM by Hallam Star rating in San Cayetano . 109 posts Send private message

Joiner3020

We live in Derbyshire and are currently taking Spanish lessons at night school. There are a lot of Spanish courses offered by both Derby City Council and Derbyshire County Council.  Look up Adult Education on their web sites www.derby.gov.uk and www.derbyshire.gov.uk both offer courses from beginner to advanced.

Regards

David & Janet

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 5:39 PM by Infinity Star rating in Southport. 18 posts Send private message

Am I allowed to say this? I'm sure it'll be deleted if I'm wrong but my Spanish teacher Min be on the radio on friday 12th at 6pm, talking about all things Spanishy.

It's 87.7 fm (I think) it's a new station trying to get a licence.

He probably knows more about the English language than us Brits do, it's quite embarrasing really. Listen if you can.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2007 5:29 PM by gilvef1 Star rating in Barnes,London/Gran b.... 12 posts Send private message

gilvef1´s avatar

i was told by a tapas bar owner in Marbella recently that the bast way to learn is to take a Spanish girlfriend or boyfriend, not wishing to fall out with my wife i think my preffered option would be to study in Guatemala, last time i was there (5 yrs ago)the courses were 80 USD for a week including a home stay and a 2 week course covered all the basics, the downside is that you end up speaking with a latino accent and run the risk of kidnapping.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2007 7:23 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Nothing wrong with learning Spanish in Central America.  I learnt mine in Mexico and Costa Rica and boy, do they speak quickly!!!  A bit different getting used to the accent on the CDS, what with the thervetha etthetera, but found the CDS was easy to understand.

On the CB, however, they will speak to you in proper Spanish but when they talk to each other it is a mixture of Spanish and Catalan.  The further north you go, the more Catalan takes over.

Which reminds me, I was crossing the border into Mexico once and a border guard, real stereotype with the Viva Zapata moustache and sweaty armpits (gun at the side) noticed I was carrying a book called the Boys from Brazil which featured a swastika on the cover.

Border guard; "Hey senor, are you a Nazi?"

Me: (envisioning the next 10 years in a Southern Mexican prison) "No, it's only a book, really" (Sweat, sweat, sweat)

Border guard " Que lastima, senor, we have a meeting every Wednesday and I was going to invite you!!"

Like 0      
15 Jan 2007 11:39 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Sieg Heil Bob - now we all know your dark secret - no wonder the Mexicans dance on their hats. Perhaps he was Franco's long lost nephew.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
31 Jan 2007 9:14 PM by geoffers Star rating in Wirral and Riviera D.... 4 posts Send private message

geoffers´s avatar

Hi everybody.

I am trying (and have been for a number of years now!) to learn Spanish. I believe many Spanish courses are now widely available in MP3 format, which I think would be ideal as I could load them onto my ipod and swot up whilst running or sunbathing in Spain itself!

Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to where I might get hold of such a course?

Thanks very much.

Geoff

Like 0      
24 Feb 2007 8:37 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

24 Feb 2007 9:00 PM by gerryboland Star rating in ek and trampolin hil.... 119 posts Send private message

gerryboland´s avatar

aprendo hablar espanyol ahora. En el classe en glasgow y con el cd en el coche. ESCUCHO  todos los dias. Michel Thomas es muy bueno.

try him out  he is really good.    £80 FOR 8 HOUR COURSE ON CD IN ALL GOOD BOOKSHOPS

dOES THIS SOUND LIKE AN AD ON SKY?

NO COMMISSION HONEST.

GERRY

Like 0      
24 Feb 2007 9:28 PM by jillb Star rating in bury st edmunds/Loma.... 52 posts Send private message

jillb´s avatar

Si Gerry, Michel Thomas es muy bueno.  I managed to get the cds for 10 pounds!  yes only £10.00 ,brand new too, on good ol ebay, amazon.co.uk has the course too at reasonable prices, worth a go. 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 9:18 PM by jillb Star rating in bury st edmunds/Loma.... 52 posts Send private message

jillb´s avatar

Dont know if this is of interest to anyone, http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/

Jill

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 9:35 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar

Try FriendsAbroad.com

You can speak in any language with people from all over the world for free by email

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 11:43 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Jillb,

Michel Thomas is good, we have the CD's, but his voice sends me to sleep!

I have slept through Cd's 2,3,4,5....yawn...6.7.8....yawn!

oh sorry night night.................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 11:42 AM by jillb Star rating in bury st edmunds/Loma.... 52 posts Send private message

jillb´s avatar

Hi Fibby,

Yes , I know what you mean about his voice,  does drone a bit... but do find that I can remember more with his way of teaching, than other cds, its just the actual putting into practice! thats  the hard bit for me, embarrassed that i might sound a bit like a del boy speaking spanish!!!(Hee Hee)

Jill

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 8:19 PM by icecoldinalex Star rating in Helensburgh, Escocia.... 4 posts Send private message

www.coffeebreakspanish.com
Worth a shot.
It is  a free podcast for basic programme.
It has been going for  20 weeks.
You can download for free on a podcast. If you take up a premium podcast for 3 months at circa £22 you can take advantage of all the free course guides over previous lessons as well as the prepaid three months ahead
Good value.
The bonus podcasts which attach to the premium subscription are  mostly done in a relaxed presentation stance.
Posted by icecoldinalex

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 10:40 AM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

Hi all

l am lucky to live in Mijas Costa - here the local townhall provide Spanish lessons.....from October to May each year, three x one hour lessons a week and the cost is.... around 15 euros a MONTH. There are 3 centres Mijas Pueblo, Las Lagunas and La Cala.... there might be more but l am not sure on that.

Obviously these lessons are very popular and often oversubscribed - so long as you have an address in the Mijas Costa area then you are in with a chance on the sign up day which is usually very early September each year. There are 4 levels - basic, intermediate, advanced and then conversation perfection.

l went through the 4 years, enjoyed almost every moment, made some good freinds and it has given me a very good basis to continue learning. l know many people that 'repeat' the years for quite a while until they feel really comfortable. The teachers were fantastic and so patient even with the slowest of us.

Maybe in other areas there is something similar - just try at the local townhall - ask in the foreigners department if there is one or the tourist office might even know.

Certainly here on our little bit of the coast adult education is taken very seriously and in addition to the Spanish lessons there are all manner of things to take part in --- flamenco dancing, painting, computer courses of all sorts, yoga, martial arts etc etc the list is too long.

l must say being able to converse with everyone that l come across helps - and mistakes are made (constantly) but most are really happy to help you learn more and are much more friendly when they realise you are making the effort.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 5:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Also available from Torremolinos Town Hall. Probably same elsewhere, well worth checking out. Well done you!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 6:10 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 4:56 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

Ok, so why don't we start a Spainish only thread?
I go to night classes, I love to try speaking/writing in Spainish but get embarassed because I'm so poor at it. Typical of people with English as a first language, always take the easy option.
The conversion may be a bit limited/boring but at least it will be in Spainish, we could start of by indroducing ourselves, our age, how many children, where we live, our jobs, etc.

Who's up for it?

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 5:03 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
¡Que buena idea!
Unfortunately I have seen this on other forums, and everyone is enthusiastic at the idea of it - but once put into practice no one uses it.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 8:20 AM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar
I listened to a demo Michel Thomas CD and understand what you mean by the drone of his voice. (perhaps that is because the great man is no longer with us?) Not sure if i could stick with that. Has anyone any experience of other courses, e.g Linguaphone? I need to start Spanish from scratch. Already speak reasonable French so hoping that a knowledge of another foreign language may help me grasp it.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts
Christmas Dinner Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Resort Membership - 3 posts
Playa Flamenca/Punta Prima - Costa Blanca - 7 posts
undersized apartments - 3 posts
Where do we start! - 3 posts
Tell me about the Bank Holidays in December - 6 posts
Mortgages - 1 posts
Electrical Goods - 15 posts
Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts
mortgages - 10 posts
Property owned by Spanish SL - 4 posts
Bank Valuations - 10 posts
wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 73

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x