From North to South

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by jjharvey Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

We are planning to get the ferry to Santander next month and then drive down to Malaga from there.

We think it will take us about 24 hours of mostly continuous driving to complete the journey?  Is that a good approximation?

We're going to be spending Christmas with some friends and want to drive down to see them.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 9:36 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

It won't take you that long but it depends on how you intend to manage the journey.  My wife and I drove from Santander to La Linea in August.  We arrived in Santander at lunchtime and kept on driving for about 7 hours which took us to the South side of Madrid where we stopped for the night at an hotel.  We left at about 10.00am the next day and arrived in La Linea at approximately 5.00 pm.  So I would say we drove for not more than 14 hours.  The scenery from Santander to North of Madrid is stunning but don't take your eyes off the road whilst driving, it's a long way down.  Madrid is a nightmare and be prepared to have traffic coming at you from all directions, and nobody will let you in, let you out, give way, or make allowances for you!  The roads are pretty good, especially the further South you go.  Just watch those Spanish drivers, they can use their horns but they just haven't mastered indicators yet.  Drive carefully.

Adrian Ord

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 7:38 PM by chalky Star rating in here let me out . 12 posts Send private message

hello

my first post on here so hope it will be helpful

have driven from Santander to fuengirola twice  took 11 hours in a renault megane and 16 hours in a ford transit fully laden 1/2 tonne overweight ( opps )

thats driving solid with no breaks apart from the calls of nature and a petrol refill

take the a8 to bilboa

a68 to pick up the a1

onto the a5 at burgos then its pedal to the metal  till you see the signs for malaga

theres a toll just after you get on the A1 from memory where you get a card then you pay about 2 hours later when you think you have bypassed the next toll and have to rip the cab apart to find the ticket , it will cost you about €25

as previously mentioned Madrid is quite a nightmare due to heavy ignorant traffic and it also gets quite hilly along the way so i hope its nat  a 1 litre fiat panda your travelling in

times are based upon an average of 100-120 kmh as you cant really clog it much more as obviously its illegal ( smirk ) and the roads are not up to the standards of the uk dual carriageways/motorways, more like an old dual carriageway with the frequent pothole,loosechippings,confusing markings thrown in to keep you awake

hope this is of some use

regards

chalky

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 7:59 PM by hayjude Star rating in marple,cheshire& n. .... 54 posts Send private message

Hi.Any help, would be grateful.Driving toMojacar Jan 5 with my wife & 2small dogs via Channel tunnel following A.A. route.Need any information re motels etc.that will allow dogs for 2 stops say south of Paris & north of Alicante-here,s hoping.

Regards Haydn & Judy.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts
General help please - 1 posts
mortgage advice - 2 posts
Expensive in Madrid - 1 posts
Lights are not always included - 5 posts
Arcos de la Frontera - 3 posts
pets on the move - 0 posts
Best bank for expats - 100 posts
Don't pay for your bank guarantee - 14 posts
villa required 27th feb to 4th march in murcia region - 2 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 3 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 0 posts
Do you like the new logo? - 20 posts
Accountants - 0 posts
Flights to and from GLASGOW - 0 posts
ADVICE - 2 posts
Finca parcs development - 0 posts
Deposit - 4 posts
Community Minutes - 0 posts
Administrators - 34 posts
cost of living? - 1 posts
Lifts - 0 posts
Gogo Estates, Aguilas - 30 posts
thinking of buying in porto fino - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x