Bank Valuations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

I would like to suggest that any potential purchasers who are buying for cash consider having a bank valuation carried out. Lawyers in Spain act in a different role to that in the UK. In order to ascertain the definite legality of any property purchase, a bank valuation will highlight any irregularities that relate to what is recorded at the Land Registry. Frequently I have clients who purchased for cash who wish to arrange refinance or equity release mortgages only to discover that the house they bought is incorrectly registered or the previous owner has added terrace or an extension without obtaining the correct Licenses. Thus they have bought a house for 500,000€ which is actually only worth 300,000€ because a part of it is technically illegal. If this then has to be registered correctly (on the assumption that it can be) it can take up to 18 months to do so. 300€ to 600€ is small price to pay for peace of mind. The report will confirm that the house you are buying isn’t officially registered as a warehouse or a garage or alternatively that all of the 200 sq m is officially recorded at the Land Registry. Invariably this problem mostly relates to houses.

There is not a great deal of extension work etc that you can do to an apartment although apartments have their own issues. The Government provides affordable housing for qualifying Spaniards to buy. These properties have a price control imposed on them. Similar to Housing Association or Right to Buy in the UK. This control is imposed for quite an extended period of time (typically 20 to 25 years). If one buys a resale apartment subject to the VPO (as it is called) a bank will only value the property at its Government controlled valuation. I have a client who has been trying to buy a property that was subject to a VPO – he was paying 190,000€ in Fuengirola – the valuation report assessed it at 66,000€. Fortunately the VPO has expired, but it still has to be officially registered by the vendor, both with the Land Registry and the regional Government. The process has taken 16 months. During that period buyer and seller have been in limbo. If the client had arranged the valuation before parting with any money he would have been in a position to purchase something else instead. However significant deposit monies had been paid before that step was taken. Estate Agents are not required to (nor probably qualified) to report on these things. Once your deposit has been handed over it can prove extremely difficult to get it back. In this instance all parties were keen to complete the transaction, however the purchaser feels rightly so, that he should have known about it before any monies changed hands.

There are a great many developers and builders constructing urbanizations inland from the coast. These are frequently on land that has not been approved for urban development. Thus one is buying what is defined as a rustic property. For a number of reasons the great majority of banks deem this to be a higher risk than urban land for mortgage purposes. For one there is not necessarily defined approval that the land can be developed, therefore in theory at some point the authorities could decide the property or properties should be demolished. Secondly any permitted development could be severely restricted to a building that is appropriate to the use of the land – such as a small farm dwelling house. Alternatively they could decide that they will not permit registration of the property. These situations will all prove problematical at some point in the future if you wish to sell. There could even be problems if you don’t decide to sell. If you have an independent bank valuation done then any potential issues should be highlighted to you in the bank report.

Finally a valuation will also highlight the property’s true worth. The developer might be selling them like hot cakes at 350,000€. However the valuer will take a true assessment of the land and the construction and will provide a true appraisal, based on the cost per square metre to build in that area and the true value of the land. I have recently had a client buying a resale where the proposed purchase price was 315,000€. The property was just over a year old. The developer is still selling houses on the same development in excess of 325,000€. It is a beautiful house and I can understand why the client wanted to buy it. However the valuation report came back at 210,000€. The official figures proscribed by the Land Registry for land value in that area was 50% of the value the developer had put on the land. While market force is a factor in the assessment of value the principle part of the equation is the official value of the land and the construction cost per square metre.

Generally this seems to be happening in the less well developed areas – inland Murcia, Denia, Valencia, Alicante etc. Land has become so much more expensive on the coast and the authorities are becoming more protective of the coastline. The developers still want to make money from construction, so they have moved further inland. 20 minutes drive to the beaches can save you 50% of the price – hence the property looks so much more attractive to the buyer. The question is whether the true value of the property is the same as one is paying for it. Worse still what is the classification of the land that it is built on? 

In short an independent bank valuation will do more to confirm that what you think you are buying is what the Land Registry think you are buying. They are significantly more detailed than a UK valuation and not as much emphasis on structural features, but massively more thorough on the legal aspect. It might cost a few bob but it could save a lot of sleepless nights and heartache at some time in the future.

Apologies for the diatribe but you should have seen the first draft!

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
19 Nov 2006 8:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Smiley, what a really interesting and informative post.  There were many points in there that I'd never thought of or considered myself.  Very interesting.  Thanks

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Nov 2006 10:05 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Smiley, you really are a mind of useful information.
I don't own a house here yet, but I am saving copies of all your informative posts so that when I can afford to buy a home here (once the business takes off!!) I can avoid many of the traps that others seem to have fallen into when buying property here.

Thank you!!

jfj

Like 0      
20 Nov 2006 6:45 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

You are very welcome jfj. I just hope its not too boring and I dont appear too much of a know it all

Rgds and hope the business is going well

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
20 Nov 2006 7:09 PM by davey Star rating in Wigan /La Tercia Mur.... 205 posts Send private message

davey´s avatar

Hi Smiley

Thanks for the information,not boring at all.

Davey

Like 0      
20 Nov 2006 10:20 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

You have got me started now. Might start posting some threads on other things where there appear to be some grey areas like general information about CGT and B money. Hopefully they will keep you as interested. Gotta say I found it a bit boring and I was writing it, so if you found it interesting you must be as sad as me. I got a bee in my bonnet last week as a prospective client bought a villa for 800,000 cash in July 05. Subsequently he has spent 250,000 on refurb work. It is a rustic property and about 475 square metres built. ONly 90 sq m is registered. First his lawyer did not explain to him what he was buying and secondly he did not tell him that only 90 sq m was registered. Just irks me a bit so wanted to get something off my chest.

Got to ask what is the countdown to the 10th - is that a scheduled date for completion? If so are planning to be present at the Notary or are you doing the sensible thing and using Power of Attorney. If you are planning to be present it is a very different experience to completing in the UK. If you e mail me a private address I can e mail you the guide I send to clients for completion day. It is a Word attachment so I cannot do it via the PM service. Up to you but might be of interest and forewarned is forearmed - well at least prepared. It has got longer since first compilation about 15 months ago. I have been to over 150 completions both personal and with clients and HOPEFULLY I have seen everything that can go wrong. Always expect the unexpected!

RGds

Like 0      
21 Nov 2006 8:44 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Smiley,

They're not boring at all...very useful in fact and I'm sure others who are in the process of buying here in Spain appreciate them too.

jfj

Like 0      
21 Nov 2006 11:12 AM by davey Star rating in Wigan /La Tercia Mur.... 205 posts Send private message

davey´s avatar

Hi Smiley

"The countdown to the 10th" , we are purchasing on a 9 hole golf course.so it will have to be the 10th and not the 19th for the club house. 

I did send you a PM,but they don`t seem to be reaching their destination.If you pm me your email address I will  contact you.

Davey

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 7:56 AM by rhodesie Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Smiley

Some really useful info in this post, many thanks. Can I just calrify that you are just talking about cash purchases and that if you have any mortgage as part of the purchase then the bank will do a valuation. Is this correct?

What if you are taking a mortgage of lets say only 60% will the bank do a full valuation allowing you to find any pitfalls you have described in your post or will they not inform you if the valuation just covers their 60%?

Cheers

Rhodesie

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 12:40 PM by Paddy101 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi, read your article and found it very interesting, however I do have a query.

If one has bought a property by off plan method and bought at a determined price, this has been bought 18 months  from completion.

Yet when it was completed a valuation from the bank was at a lot lower valuation than the agreed price.

How does one get around this problem

Many thanks

Paddy 101

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 2:04 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Rhodesie for any mortgage - even as low as 20% the bank is required under directive by the Bank of Spain to conduct a valuation. Unlike the UK this will entail a visit to the property. Also unlike the UK they will not concentrate so much on structural defects - although if they think any part of the construction would be a risk to the lenders mortgage they would state it. They will comment on various things such as location and condition but in a general way. They will be specific about dimensions of constructed area and land. They will also be specific about legality and Licensing procedures - i.e if the property is illegal they will state the fact. Invariably they will take photographs of just about every room in the property and they may well photograph views, storage rooms and garage spaces as well.

In answer to yours Paddy it is a very difficult problem to get around without knowing more specifics. A great many properties in Spain have been sold in anticipation of a market continuing to rise at what were unsustainable levels. Extremely high commissions paid to many real estate agents for off plan sales meant that had to be factored into the price and as property values have tailed off so you are left in the situation you find yourself. This was one of the main reasons for psoting about bank valuations to explain that the basis for the formula is not the fact that the world and his wife is buying them for 200,000€. While price comparisons will be considered they are more concerned with the cost/build equation.

Go back to the mortgage lender, lawyer and or your broker and ask that they appeal the valuation to the valuer. Provide them with a copy of the purchase contract showing how much you have paid and see if you can liaise with other buyers to see whether they have had better valuation figures returned. If that is the case see if you can get a copy of their report and take it to your bank/broker/lawyer and request they reconsider their findings. Please do not confuse the purchase price as being the PP plus the 7% IVA. A great many people assume that a 100,000€ property is being bought for 107,000€ and that is the price they are paying - it is not - they are paying 100k - the 7% tax is just that.

Hope that answers your question and I wish you well with your endeavours

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts
General help please - 1 posts
mortgage advice - 2 posts
Expensive in Madrid - 1 posts
Lights are not always included - 5 posts
Arcos de la Frontera - 3 posts
pets on the move - 0 posts
Best bank for expats - 100 posts
Don't pay for your bank guarantee - 14 posts
villa required 27th feb to 4th march in murcia region - 2 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 3 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 0 posts
Do you like the new logo? - 20 posts
Accountants - 0 posts
Flights to and from GLASGOW - 0 posts
ADVICE - 2 posts
Finca parcs development - 0 posts
Deposit - 4 posts
Community Minutes - 0 posts
Administrators - 34 posts
cost of living? - 1 posts
Lifts - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x