Mugging in Duqessa

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Today (18/03/09) a friend of mine was robbed in Duqessa in broad daylight.  She had just left her place of work and was getting in to her car when a car with 2 men in it pulled alongside and asked the way to Sotogrande.  It would appear that this was a distraction as when she got to the Mercadona she noticed that her handbag had gone.  While she was talking to these people someone must have sneaked around her car and lifted the handbag.  BEWARE! 

Also, the wife of a colleague was mugged a few weeks back outside Lidl's in Sabinillas and the 82 year old mother of a friend has been mugged twice in Estepona and has now been reduced to being wheelchair bound (only temporarily I hope).  I don't know who these scumbags are or what nationality they are, I can guess though, but I hope the police start using those guns they so proudly strut around with.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 8:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Our neighbour is a local policeman and he was telling us that it's becoming quite a big problem now as so many people are out of work.

These are definitely times to have your wits about you.  We know of other cases in Duquesa...one where someone was held at gun point!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 8:29 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

So you can´t be helpful down here then. We will have to stop giving directions and hide our bags in the car to avoid all this mugging. Disgusting!

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 11:20 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I think everywhere you have to be careful - and obviously with the current climate there will be an increase in crime.

Even here we have had the same sort of thing happening (in fact for some years) - someone stopping you, saying you have a flat tyre and once you get out of the car an accomplice lifts your bag!

You can still be helpful, Ana - although be helpful from a locked car, through a partially open window!

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 11:39 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I have also heard about two incidents while we were there this time, same thing about asking for directions and it was just beside Billy's fish & chip shop,  we will all have to take extra care.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 4:11 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

I have spoken to my friend who was robbed and she said that it was a big posh (?) car that pulled up alongside her with 2 very well dressed men inside it.  Her handbag was on the passenger seat but she never realised the car door had been opened and closed.  She went to Manilva policia the next day and they were very good with her.  They told her that they had had 4 incidents reported within a week and that there have been a spate of robberies in Sotogrande where these big cars are being stolen.  Apparently the men were of Albanian/Armenian type and there are also reports of them working with a well dressed woman.  I've also been told that in some of these house burglaries knock-out gas had been thrown through an open window, but I can't confirm that for sure.

Like 0      
10 May 2009 9:01 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

More muggings in Duqessa in May.  The latest one involved a husband and wife just coming out of the Bar Duqessa and some scumbags were hiding behind the plants at the back of the Pizza restaurant.  They hit the wife and grabbed her bag.  The husband gave chase but lost them.  Apparently there have been about 3 incidents in the last week but there is absolutely no police presence in the port.  I don't know if this is because the incidents weren't reported, or the police just aren't interested, but something needs to be done, and soon, or people are going to give Duqessa a miss, and with trade the way it is thanks to the recession that's the last thing local business's need.

This message was last edited by orda on 10/05/2009.

Like 0      
11 May 2009 5:48 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear orda,

thank you for the warnings, it is helpful to prospective visitors to know what is going on.

I tried to post it onto the Duquesa Village site as useful information, but they don't like any negativity posted in case it puts off renters.

They are busy removing all posts involving dogs mess, subsidence and muggings in case it affects their income.

Try it for yourself.

Keep it up, this forum is supposed to be "telling it like it is" but the cracks soon show when income is threatened.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
11 May 2009 6:07 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Hi Normansands and thanks for the support.  That's my whole point if all the traders don't get together and do something about it, and stop brushing negativity under the carpet, then they will have no trade to worry about. The port is a lovely place which deserves better.  The dog mess is disgusting and people who allow their dogs to do it should be prosecuted.  I wonder do they have the equivalent of neighbourhood watch out here as that might be a solution to some of the problems?

Like 0      
11 May 2009 6:16 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Gosh you lot down there are really up against it arent you! I dont think the Spanish have an equivalent of a citizens arrest or private neighbourhood watch schemes, but I guess you could set one up, as long as you called the local police if there is an issue then you should be fine.

Hopefully you get things sorted out, Duquesa is a nice port.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 May 2009 6:33 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - we have Neighbourhood Watch here on the Costa Blanca (Vecinos Collaborandos) so I'm sure you will be able to find a group in your area if you do a Google search. 

Crime here (so far) seems to be mainly related to property rather than attacks on people, and I certainly feel much safer here than I did back in Glasgow!

Like 0      
11 May 2009 6:36 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Normansands, get it  right before you post your venom!

Orda posted about Duquesa Port - not Duquesa Village, which are you are well aware is not the only development in Manilva!!

So hold back on your vitriolic comments until you get your facts right.

Muggings are happening everywhere - sign of the times unfortunately - even here in Dubai!

There have been no muggings in Duquesa Village - or anything else that may bring joy to your life!!

Edited to say:  And Orda you are quite right, something has to be done about it.  But it must be taken up with the police and the town hall, and possibly El Hacho, as the port comes within that macro community (even though the council are meant to have taken over responsibility for it).  See Manilva Life forum for more on this.  There should be more police presence in the port - at the moment there is none!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 11/05/2009.

Like 0      
11 May 2009 9:13 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Normansands...what goes through your head when you write this stuff...people should know that you just go round individual forums upsetting people with your snide comments about things which are nothing to do with you ..you are not helping anybody you must know that. We know your IP address so anymore chinnagins you will be banned ..

Regards

John

Like 0      
12 May 2009 11:13 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

as a partially disabled OAP holidaymaker I cannot contemplate chasing muggers around Duquesa, village or port.

So I am concerned as everyone should be, including those making profits from letting.

Perhaps those profits should go towards a neighbourhood watch type operation?

If the muggings are genuine and on the increase they should be posted as legitimate warnings.

What is going on Justin? Who are the unelected power brokers controlling the forum?

I have reported the last post with the following comment:-

what is this all about Justin?
Has Eye on Spain been taken over by a distressed renters police state?
Norman

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
12 May 2009 1:18 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

normandsands, did you post about the muggings on the Las Brisas, Duquesa Fairways, Duquesa Suites, Marina de la Duquesa, Marina Real, Monte Duquesa, La Vizcaronda, Mikonos Playa, but to mention a few, development forums as well as Duquesa Village development forum?   We know you like to antagonise owners on certain development forums - and you are obviously of the opinion that all owners, whether they are renting out, living in or using their properties howsoever, are not competent enough to read the General Forums for themselves!!  Hence why you so thoughtfully chose to post on the DV development forum?????  Out of concern?????

You seem to forget that there are thousands of British, Spanish, and other nationalities who LIVE in Spain - not ALL people on this forum rent out their properties and NOT ALL people have lost money through their own decisions while investing in Spain!!! 

Anyone who knows sees exactly what you are doing and why you have targeted DV.

Like 0      
12 May 2009 2:48 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Normansands...this insincere show of concern is typical of you wanting to cause a stir..and well done you have ..I see you live in Kent..i hope you show the same concerns about crime in your area ..isn't that where Kenneth Noye the police and M25 killer lived. I hope you harranqued all the local papers and noticeboards about the criminals living in your area...all those peole making fortunes on their houses and crimes being committed there..you won't like that  ..you are going to get banned .

This message was last edited by JC1 on 12/05/2009.

Regards

John

Like 0      
12 May 2009 3:45 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear Pitby,

I do my best to ignore the "sillies" and their posts..........and mostly I succeed.

However please do not attribute to me anything other than my desire to quash or resist all the silly spin that seeks to promote the "all is wonderful in Spain dream" nonsense. Most especially when it hides and denies the true negatives. That I regard as deception, plain and simple. If that deception then misleads anyone to part with money on holiday renting I consider it to be a disgrace.

I have no idea what you and others paranoia is referring to.

If I recall correctly my interest in the village site was prompted by your bare bottom advertising and was then held by the construction problems - subsidence cracking - ground movements etc.

It was further held by the sub-prime purchasers and renters with their balcony dogs etc. which to my mind turn a holiday complex into just another municipal urbanisation and the whole dream collapses.

If there is anything else you need to know please ask.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
12 May 2009 4:01 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

normansands, i don't need to ask you anything - you are hardly qualified to answer any question that involves property ownership in spain and only serve on this forum to deride those who enjoy living in and/or owning property in the country.

i'm astonished that EOS allows you to continue to post as you do on certain threads as your agenda is obviously just to antagonise and denigrate others.

had you chosen to buy and then pull out of/lose your money in a property on the Costa Blanca, say, instead of the Costa del Sol, no doubt you would be doing the same to anyone who chose to oppose your views on any development forum in that area and wouldn't have chosen DV.

you are extremely transparent in your intentions and not clever at all - although saying that I have risen to your bait because I can't stand offensive people.  but no more - you really are not worth the energy.

the best thing EOS could do is to highlight the problems of any muggings in a post they themselves may choose to make, in a locked thread, for all to see, if they feel it appropriate, and to delete this thread altogether.

no offence Orda, at your well intentioned message.

Like 0      
12 May 2009 4:03 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

I think people can have good or bad experiences regardless the country. Spain has a lot of issues to sort out but that does not mean everybody is having nightmares here. We have some very happy experiences reported in other threads. Research and exploring before buying in Spain helps make your mind up. Let´s keep the faith and stay positive.

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
12 May 2009 4:33 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I look at it this way:

If anyone has had their fingers burnt, been ripped off, and now know the pitfalls and how to help to avoid them....

Then I am sure that person can use the negativity that surrounds them, embodies there ever waking thought when it comes to Spain and it's problems, by adding constructive negative comments, and in that turn a negative into a positive outcome in knowing you have helped someone else avoid the same.

As if you just come across as being plain old negative about every subject, which is possible, then that in turn will cause people to flee from your cause, and not rally to it.

I am sure that this is what most if not everyone on this forum is trying to achieve., by sharing ones experiences and trying to help a community that is worldwide, and yet resolute in their unified cause, and that is to help people make the most of their dreams and aspirations.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbie - 2 posts
Dynamic Currency Conversion - 0 posts
stay in uk - 28 posts
Experienced fish fryer required for fish and chip shop in Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
News for Barclays Spain mortgage holders - 8 posts
Help Moving to spain - 2 posts
Community Meeting - 1 posts
Importing a UK registered motorcycle - 3 posts
A Bullet for the King - 0 posts
Benfits of residents in Spain - 5 posts
Singled out - 0 posts
New, unexpected circumnstances... can I cancel my contract? - 0 posts
Scrapyards Costa del Sol - 1 posts
Agent spent the deposit - 9 posts
Iceland - 19 posts
Has anyone used 'Car trawler' for car hire - 44 posts
New Survey - 0 posts
Electricity Bills - 70 posts
FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE?? - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Free Energy Saving Lightbulbs from Iberdrola - 2 posts
Apartment for sale: sea-front, luxury beach & golf resort - 0 posts
Calahonda Business Fair - Come and say hola - 0 posts
Anyone using a Sharp HD Digital Television, bought in the UK, in Spain? - 4 posts
Help Needed With Contract - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x