News for Barclays Spain mortgage holders

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My Wife has just informed me that  a list of people with Barclays mortgages in arrears, that are resident in the UK has arrived in her department (mortgage arrears funnily enough!). They have been tasked with contacting all persons on the list to encourage a repayment schedule. Not sure about the legality of the situation and the data protection implications as these people have a contract with another business (although a part of the Barclays group) in another business. It would be like Mercantile credit ringing you for a default on your Barclaycard!

She's not sure when/ if the list will be worked as they are already understaffed and maxed out with the UK market, but be warned. You could be talking to someone in Leeds about the arrears on your property in Spain!

Mark

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 8:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

That's interesting Mark, I thought this might happen.  I know a lot of people have been literally abandoning their properties in Spain and heading back to the UK hoping that they'll never hear from the bank again, but talking to a director from Cam bank recently he told me that they are starting to recover debts from UK residents....you just can't run away that easily any more!

Justin

P.S. Did you get this notification OK?

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 9:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment as there are no procedures in place as to how it may work. Not sure if this is sensitive information at the moment though! Just been told off by the wife .

Mark

P.S. No notifications yet Justin. There ust be a huge backlog somewhere as all EOS addresses are whitelisted now.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 6:14 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

But a good dation in payment procedure can liberate these people of the debt so they can be fully tranquile in the Uk. It is a right!

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1094/legal-tip-27-dation-in-payment-a-right.aspx

Thanks,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Aug 2009 5:09 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Well, the system is now operative. Overheard in the call centre yesterday chasing a customer for a €40 default payment . Factor into that the cost of the call, the cost of the staff member, how much Barclays UK charge and then what do you think they will see in Spain? Half of that if they're lucky, maybe only €10!!

Mark

Like 0      
08 Aug 2009 2:38 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Marksfish - can you ask the trouble and strife for a phone number please. I have a friend that is about 30,000 in arrears. Barclays have actually started proceedings but he is trying to reach an agreement with them to bring arrears up to date (gradually) but there is nobody in the arrears dept in Madrid that can speak to him in English. Under DP laws they will not speak to me. Like many he had a temporary blip during 08 but business is back on the straight and narrow and improving every day so he wants to stop the proceedings, bring the mortgage up to date with a payments plan and get on with paying for his house. I have no doubt there wont be anyone at Barclays UK arrears dept that can help him but there may be someone that can steer him in the right direction to talk to an officer in Madrid that can communicate with him.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
08 Aug 2009 2:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I've just asked the question and she will ask on Monday, there is no- one in today she can ask.

Mark

Like 0      
08 Aug 2009 4:23 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Thanks Mark - I didnt expect a reply today to be honest so appreciate the thought - youre a star

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
11 Aug 2009 7:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

For any other Barclays Spain mortgage holders in difficulty, there is now a dedicated team in the UK (all 2 of them!!). The contact number is 0113 296 5315 and you will need your mortgage account number. They only have the authority to deal with arrears of less than 180 days, but may be able to help contacting Spain and getting someone "proper" to talk to.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help Moving to spain - 2 posts
Community Meeting - 1 posts
Importing a UK registered motorcycle - 3 posts
A Bullet for the King - 0 posts
Benfits of residents in Spain - 5 posts
Singled out - 0 posts
New, unexpected circumnstances... can I cancel my contract? - 0 posts
Scrapyards Costa del Sol - 1 posts
Agent spent the deposit - 9 posts
Iceland - 19 posts
Has anyone used 'Car trawler' for car hire - 44 posts
New Survey - 0 posts
Electricity Bills - 70 posts
FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE?? - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Free Energy Saving Lightbulbs from Iberdrola - 2 posts
Apartment for sale: sea-front, luxury beach & golf resort - 0 posts
Calahonda Business Fair - Come and say hola - 0 posts
Anyone using a Sharp HD Digital Television, bought in the UK, in Spain? - 4 posts
Help Needed With Contract - 7 posts
Storage space or garden for rent???? - 0 posts
Missing channels on Freesat - 9 posts
Original thread messages? - 0 posts
St Patricks Day - 8 posts
How do you claim against the Builder's Insurance? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x