Benfits of residents in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 49. Benefits for residents in Spain

Should I become a Spanish resident?

This question is essential for the enjoyment of some benefits and very especially for the ascertainment of your taxes liabilities. Actually many laws in Spain apply the “fiscal residency concept” to classify the residential status of persons for other pursposes

For any European citizen, the acquisition of the Spanish residency is very simple: you just need to register yourself at the National Police station through a very simple process (previous   appointment) and pay a small fee of around 10 euros.

If you don't have Spanish citizenship, you're a resident if either:
  • You stay in Spain for more than 183 days (including sporadic absences and day traveling in and out of Spain).
  • The main base of your professional activities or economic interests is in Spain.
  • Your spouse and minor age children reside in Spain.
What are the benefits for residents in Spain?

Tax benefits

In Capital Gains Tax: If you’re a resident and are at least 65 years old , there will be no tax liability for Capital Gains when you sell what it has been your home for more than three years.

• In Inheritance tax: There is a reduction (up to 99% in some regions) on the value of your home if you leave it to spouse, children or a close relative who is also a resident.

Lower Income tax burdens: as in Spain the rates are lower than in most of northern European countries.

Health System benefits

Health system in Spain is universal, which means that everyone (national or foreigner) has rights to basic an urgent health services. ( We are very proud of that actually!)

Residents contributing to the Spanish Social Security system or a UK National Spanish resident receiving a UK state pension, will have rights to all the services of the Health system under same conditions as Spanish nationals.

And what about my obligations…..? Well, let´s leave it for mañana´s post, is it OK?

Silos Arte y Relax, Tarifa ( Cadiz) by Chodaboy at Flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 11:37 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Maria

If we want to get married in Spain, do we have to be 'officially' resident?

Thanks

Irene

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 12:39 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Irene,

We got married in Spain last year.  We were both resident in the UK at the time, although my wife is Spanish.  So it looks like you don´t need to be resident to get married.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 3:00 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

My Daughter wanted to get married in Spain next year, it appears that if two non Spanish nationals want to marry ONE of them needs to have been resident for at least two years.

Here is the British Consuls take on the subjet

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/marriage-in-spain

Steve

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 3:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

An alterntive would be to get married in Gibraltar, it is so easy there.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 5:30 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Susan

Yes we thought about Gib, we are going to have a look next weekend when my daughter is over.

Do you know of any nice locations/Churches in Gib, She had set her heart on The Chapel at La Virginia in Marbella which is really lovely.

Then a reception back in Spain.

Steve

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Singled out - 0 posts
New, unexpected circumnstances... can I cancel my contract? - 0 posts
Scrapyards Costa del Sol - 1 posts
Agent spent the deposit - 9 posts
Iceland - 19 posts
Has anyone used 'Car trawler' for car hire - 44 posts
New Survey - 0 posts
Electricity Bills - 70 posts
FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE?? - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Free Energy Saving Lightbulbs from Iberdrola - 2 posts
Apartment for sale: sea-front, luxury beach & golf resort - 0 posts
Calahonda Business Fair - Come and say hola - 0 posts
Anyone using a Sharp HD Digital Television, bought in the UK, in Spain? - 4 posts
Help Needed With Contract - 7 posts
Storage space or garden for rent???? - 0 posts
Missing channels on Freesat - 9 posts
Original thread messages? - 0 posts
St Patricks Day - 8 posts
How do you claim against the Builder's Insurance? - 0 posts
Terrazas de Alcaucín - Developer is Peninsula - Anyone know anything - 2 posts
Renting to Russians - 1 posts
NHBC????? - 3 posts
Do you own property at Las kalendas EGM tomorrow night in Fortuna - 0 posts
uk V spain? my friend says thanks for helping her find a way forward that suited her. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x