ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by grumps Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

HI
IM INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF THINGS PEOPLE ARE MISSING FROM THE UK SUCH AS FOOD OR TV PROGRAMMS
ITS FUNNY THE LITTLE THING U MISS WHEN U CANT GET THEM
MANY THANX

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 3:59 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
You can get mostly any thing in Spain that you got in UK but may be at a price. 

You can also be easily ripped off as well if you are not carefull especialy with English TV. Just use your head and plenty of common sense.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 6:01 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
My neighbour misses Wickes,MFI and B&Q. I miss bookshops, big ones with coffee shops and WhSmith,Boots and Superdrug.Parks with ponds, theatre and olde worlde England. If I think of anything else,I will let you know!

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 9:22 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I miss Pork Farms pork pies, Betty Newmans ( a cafe in Leicester which does wonderful cakes and THE BEST coffee ), and autumn leaves.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 9:22 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Whoops, posted twice............Blonde Moment AGAIN !!!!!

This message was last edited by Karensun on 9/13/2008.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 9:25 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
I just want the opportunity to miss something

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 2:28 PM by fazanbill Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

The smell of freshly cut grass.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 4:55 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Fanzanb8ill,
If you miss the smell of cut grass,nip to Polaris when they are cutting the fairways,ummmmmmmm,it smells gorgeous!!!

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 8:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Just found this thread. Karen, you miss Thorntons milk chocolate coffee creams & Thorntons fondant mice &  pigs  , come on now !!

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 8:27 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I don't miss those, More, because kind people bring them here for me !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 10:02 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi all i miss our english bacon bye irene

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 10:47 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Council tax
Cold
Rain
Car tax
Parking charges
Cold
Rain
Traffic wardens
Getting up at 3.30 am for work
Cold 
Rain
Fog
Ice on the windscreen in the mornings
Petty jobsworths
Mr Brown and Mr Darling
Rain
Cold

and other stuff far too numerous to mention!

Bring it on - the sooner the better - I'm looking forward to missing it all!

Steve.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 12:41 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Everything already mentioned and FRESH semi skimmed milk.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 2:48 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Yeah - proper milk - forgot about that!

Steve.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 4:30 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Is proper milk hard to come by then?
We never find it a problem in the mercadonnas. It's just Aldis and Lidls that don't sell it by us.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 5:30 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Ahh, but their version of fresh milk is not the same as ours !!!  I have never found our 'proper' milk anywhere else in the world and tea just isn't the same without it.

I think I read somewhere on here that Iceland have it, but we don't have one within easy reach. In fact i emailed Iceland begging them to open a store near us but they never replied!

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 10/5/2008.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 5:41 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
So what's wrong with the milk?  I find it excellent in tea/coffee etc and full cream/semi-skimmed/skimmed/buttermilk all available,  Personally don't drink the stuff neat (yuk! Do you know where it comes from?).  British bacon (and British sausages, steak and kidney pies etc) all available from Carrefour but prefer pancetta or Serrano, anyway.
Certainly won't miss paying over 2 quid for 4 tasteless oranges shipped from South Africa about 3 months ago or Chilean pomegranites which appear to have lost their juice on the way.  Even those who miss cheddar cheese should pop along to Consum or Carrefour where it's actually cheaper than Tescos but I'm still having fun trying out all the different local ones that are available.
Probably the only thing I'll miss are my grandchildren but hoping they'll visit quite often.  My wife reckons she'll miss the Glengettie tea bags but she appears to have packed enough to last her the next ten years, anyway. 

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 5:54 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes we manage to get the semi skimmed milk, English bacon albeit a little bit more expensive than UK. Pork pies our son loves them but he had to go into Quesada to buy them, Johnsons I believe. Quick save sell most UK products in Benijofar. What are Glengettie teabags Bob?  Not heard of them.  I think TV will be what we will miss.     Pat

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 5:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We only drink black coffee but use milk on cereals. We do tend to just pick up the semi skimmed UHT milk from Lidl's but I do remember buying fresh when we first shopped after completion so I would think it would have been in Mercadona in Guardamar at that time, 2003. 

I really miss looking out of the window (where I am now) & seeing the terrific panoramic view we enjoy here, living so high up. We look across to the Cardiff area across the Bristol Channel to the left &, to the right, to The Mendips. I enjoy coming home here to Kewstoke after almost a month at a time in Spain. I know it's another two months (usually) till we go back.  Currently, I'm happy to have the best of both worlds.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 6:42 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Glengettie tea, specially made by Typhoo to complement the soft water found in Wales.  Generally stronger than the Typhoo brands, sometimes difficult to get outside Wales but is stocked in some Tesco stores. 

http://www.localsonlycoffee.com/Taylors-of-Harrogate-Glengettie-Tea-p/letglengettie.htm

As the link doesn't appear to work, try Googling Glengettie.  A favourite with British Forces since 1815.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 10/5/2008.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 10/5/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts
ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts
Messy Separation laws - 1 posts
URGENTLY I NEED PROPERTIES IN eSTEPONA MARBELLA SAN PEDRO TO LET - 0 posts
Swapping Sand or Sangria - 7 posts
Help - Advice needed about changing Lawyers - 3 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent? - 23 posts
Cajamurcia online transfers to Spanish accounts - 3 posts
Thanks for the photos - 2 posts
Need cat friendly hotel near Madrid - 0 posts
Residencia - 1 posts
HELP!! Living in spain at the minute to quite thinking of going to Ibi - Alicante? - 2 posts
Importance of Legal Counsel's location - 3 posts
Can you help - 12 posts
new law registering mobile phones - 6 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL WANTED - ROJALES/BENIJOFAR/QUESADA - 3 posts
IMPORTANT - XL Airways fold - 0 posts
XL Airlines fold! - 7 posts
non residency - 1 posts
eating out - 0 posts
Spanish Rental Contract - HELP - 0 posts
GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 98

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x