ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Oct 2008 6:44 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I miss some of the Twinings fruit teas too.............I can get some flavours in Gama but my favourites have to come from England. The Spanish fruit teas are insipid and I hate that brown stuff!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 7:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
At the risk of being labelled a know all as has been inferred  occasionally by some who mistake my help & information for interference, all you have to do, Bob, is press your space bar or return key after typing a link so 

http://www.localsonlycoffee.com/Taylors-of-Harrogate-Glengettie-Tea-p/letglengettie.htm

becomes http://www.localsonlycoffee.com/Taylors-of-Harrogate-Glengettie-Tea-p/letglengettie.htm 

I'm not referring to Bob in above, BTW.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 8:13 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
SKY TV Plus, had it when we lived in Germany but can't really be bothered setting it up here. I don't miss the 100 euros a month or so it cost.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 8:41 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well thanks for that More, will have to give Glengettie tea a try, not keen on the fruit teas.  I like the view we have across the farm and seeing the mountains.  But I do miss not having a garden although not the work it involves.  So we are quite happy spending a few months in both places.   As long as money holds out that is what it all boils down to at the end of the day        Pat

Like 0      
06 Oct 2008 2:13 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
I don't miss anything from the UK - I'm Irish! I really miss Taytos though. Luckily my parents are bringing some out to me when they come to visit next week!

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 3:15 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
For Bob....................

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 4:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Won't miss the bakestones (Welsh cakes) in the middle, Candyfloss, as SWMBO makes her own.  (just had a few with my afternoon tea, actually).  It's also her who'll miss the Glengettie as I'm a Nescaff man, myself.  And we just popped into the Tesco in St Mellons after visiting my parents and I think she bought the entire stock.  Can you get done for smuggling Welsh tea into Spain?  I don't think we'll have enough room for any clothes in the cases!!!
Will definitely miss the cwtch from the grandkids, though.  Maybe a quick half or two of Brains SA wouldn't go amiss but I moved to Guinness about 20 years ago after a stint in NI.  Pretty decent pint of Guinness in Spain.  Don't know why the picture of the sheep is there, unless it's referring to "What do you call a sheep tied to a lamp post in Cardiff?" - A leisure centre.
Or the two Dais coming home from the pub one night when the saw a sheep stuck in a hedge.
First Dai - "Ay Dai, don't you just wish that was a lovely Blodwyn stuck in that hedge?"
Second Dai " Nay, Dai, I just wish it were dark".

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 6:05 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

I am not in Spain yet. Hopefully, I will be there soon, but after 10 years living in the UK (I am Spanish) I will definitely miss Sunday dinner especially in a traditional pub (the pub I've been in today was gorgeous and full of character) and shopping at Primark.

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 6:08 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
To be honest Nati, you can get 'traditional' English Sunday lunch here too...........and you can shop at Primark in Murcia !!                  

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 6:21 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

I know that. I have checked where I can find Primark in Spain. However, I am moving to Manilva and the nearest Primark is in Jerez de la Frontera. Some friends that have been at Primark in Spain told me that clothes are not as nice as  clothes in the UK. Is that true?
Cheers

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 6:30 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hi Nati,
I've only been to primark once cos it's a bit out of the way but I thought the clothes were similar to UK. I bought some boots there in grey and then I bought the same pair in burgandy in UK for the same price as I paid in Murcia.
I ALWAYS go to Primark when I visit UK and Matalan.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 6:36 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Thank you karensun,
It will be more expensive buying stuff from Primark in Spain as salaries are lower than in the UK. I would expect lower prices in Spain. I have recently noticed that prices at Primark UK have gone up.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 8:36 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Sorry serious thread drift here, I know, before I get told off  
Bob, I  knew you would pick up on that one.I thought I would get the sheep in first before someone else did. 
Keep up will you, you obviously haven't been to town recently. The latest stag do accessory is a blow up sheep (I kid you not LOL).

Back to topic 
I wouldn't worry Nati, as Karen says there are loads of places that do traditional Sunday lunch if you have cravings. Although, I have to say the meat in Spain if you want to cook your own is beautiful. I love their pork, so tasty .

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 9:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I find most places only do "Sunday Dinner" at lunchtimes, which is a little early for me.  I have, however, found a place in Quesada that does it in the evenings as well which is a great change from the ubiquitous chips or Chinese.
Also love the pork.  I think a lot of it is fillet of pork which comes out great in those little pork stews with onions you get in the Tapas bars.  Lamb is a bit of a disappointment and the "English" butchers are quite expensive.
Also a new supermarket in the middle of town has gone all "interactive" when you do your shopping and have incorporated the sound and aroma technique.
You go into the vegetable section and there is a tape playing the distant sound of rain and a lovely smell of hot, buttered sweetcorn.
In the milk section, there is a tape of cow mooing in the background with a smell of fresh, mown grass.
In the eggs section, you hear hens clucking and the aroma of a full English breakfast assails your nostrils.

I've started buying my toilet paper from the local corner shop.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 6:21 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

I have nothing to worry. I guess our lunch will become more Spanish e.g. paella, fish etc I also love pork and after all these years in the UK I am not a beef fan at all. Even my husband loves pork now when he used to eat beef and chicken before meeting me. I think that being a pork lover is a Spanish thing. Spaniards eat more pork than beef.
Thank you all for your good pieces of advice

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 7:45 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Nati

We live in Manilva and have been to the shopping centre in Jerez where there is a Primark.It is about an hour in the car to get to the shopping centre called Area Sur. Apart from Primark there are loads of shops including lots of huge zapaterias, Zara etc and everything that you find on the spanish high street. I really like it and prefer it to La Canada. The Primark itself is average by UK standards. There is a small home section which has duvet cover sets, lots of cushions, candles, throws. There is a good underwear section with a good selection of bargain bras in a variety of sizes. I think that it might be cheaper than the UK as a pack of five bragas is 4euros and I think that they are 4 pounds in the UK. With regards to ladies clothes they are a little behind the UK Primarks which quickly translate the trends from the catwalk to the store especially Oxford Circus Branch which gives me palpatations( in a good way). They don't do the cashmere that they do in the UK. They have a selection of coats and jeans but that don't do all the latest up to the minute stuff but basics are okay like smart work shirts and trousers. They currently have huge rolls of  christmas wrapping paper 8metres for 1,50 Euros. If there is anything else you want to know, I can talk shopping for hours

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 8:11 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Hi Susan,
Thanks for all the information. I think my friends keep saying that Primark is worse in Spain when they really mean collections are not as up to date as in the UK. However, I will have to give it a go when I am there. I need my Primark fix!
Ana

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 9:43 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
One more for Bobaol,

Go on laugh, you know you wanna

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 10:11 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Hey, madam Candy, I'll have you know I used to live in Ely.  Old Ely, as it was. until I was 6.  I remember what we used to call Bluebell woods between us and St Fagans.  I remember it as a huge place where we used to get lost and play and it took us absolutely ages to walk to St Fagans.  What a disappointment when I went back as an adult and saw it was just 2 scrubby fields about half a mile long.  I remembered it as big as the whole world full of magic and wonder.  Shame to see our old house boarded up and the whole area looking tatty.  (My Mum still embarrasses me with the story of how I came home naked one day cos I'd sold my clothes to the rag and bone man for a goldfish - got a couple of aunties that also take great pleasure in recounting stories like that).

Edited to say:  Just noticed it says 3p on that tin.  You must have dug out the old cold war stock to get it at that price.  Either that or the Ely stores are really feeling the credit crunch and reducing the prices. 

This message was last edited by bobaol on 10/25/2008.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 10:24 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

We come over each winter in the car and ask friends if they want 'stuff' brought over. This is the 'most wanted list'

Cotton mop heads with metal attachments plus wooden shafts if possible!

Vimto

Leg of lamb ( if it's illegal...i'm joking..)

Novels

Bottles of  local ale

golden syrup.

If this is all that is missed from the UK - you must be a happy bunch

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts
ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts
Messy Separation laws - 1 posts
URGENTLY I NEED PROPERTIES IN eSTEPONA MARBELLA SAN PEDRO TO LET - 0 posts
Swapping Sand or Sangria - 7 posts
Help - Advice needed about changing Lawyers - 3 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent? - 23 posts
Cajamurcia online transfers to Spanish accounts - 3 posts
Thanks for the photos - 2 posts
Need cat friendly hotel near Madrid - 0 posts
Residencia - 1 posts
HELP!! Living in spain at the minute to quite thinking of going to Ibi - Alicante? - 2 posts
Importance of Legal Counsel's location - 3 posts
Can you help - 12 posts
new law registering mobile phones - 6 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL WANTED - ROJALES/BENIJOFAR/QUESADA - 3 posts
IMPORTANT - XL Airways fold - 0 posts
XL Airlines fold! - 7 posts
non residency - 1 posts
eating out - 0 posts
Spanish Rental Contract - HELP - 0 posts
GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 98

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x