COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by grumps Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

COULD ANYONE TELL ME WHETHER BEING SELF EMPLOYED IN COMPUTER REPAIRS WOULD WORK IN SPAIN
MY HUBBY IS A COMPUTER ENGINEER HERE IN THE UK AND NEEDS TO KNOW IF ITS A GOOD IDEA TO DO THE SAME IN SPAIN OR WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE.
WOULD HE BE USEFULL TO ANY ENGLISH EXPATS??
PLEASE HELP
MANY THANKS

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 4:32 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
I am really self sufficient with my pc's so have not required the services of pc repairs, but of course a lot of people are not as lucky to be skilled like me.

If hubby is really good and can get his name around for fixing problems and is reasonable priced, he should stand out above the 'off the plane do anything fixers' and make a living, doubt if he will make a fortune though.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 4:37 PM by grumps Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

hi thanx for ur reply
as long as he can make enough to live and servive we should be ok
hes pretty good at what he does and doesnt rip people off with silly prices
he believes that if hes fair with his customers then they will keep coming back
he also has spanish customers who come over to the uk for a few months at a time who will only go to him

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 4:45 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
He should do well then.

Where are you looking to relocate to in Spain?

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 5:21 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Grumps, if he has Spanish contacts he should ask them how they think he would get on, they might be able to help, especially if they keep coming back to him.   Sometimes its not what you know it is who you know.    Pat    

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 8:24 AM by grumps Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

thanks for ur reply Mr Kevin
we are not sure where to go yet but we are looking at being around 1hr inland from the coast
we have been looking @ Granada and Jaen but they are a little too far inland
any ideas??

Like 0      
14 Sep 2008 8:57 AM by falklands Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Hi Grumps

I live on the Costa del Sol, and also dabble in computer repairs & training. It is hard work and if your not able to support yourself for a couple of years it can prove very difficult to make a living. I cant see from your posts wether you intend to get a job, or start up in business for yourself. Either as the posters on this forum will tell you is extremely difficult at the moment. The Spanish economy is nearly as bad as UK, some say worse. Unemployment is rising and thise who have jobs are not particularly well paid.
If one takes a look at the free english papers suchas the Surinenglish, Town Crier, Euoroweekly, Fridayads etc they all contain ads from people offering computer services.
Several of these I know and they have other jobs to earn a crust. Sorry if this sounds negative but it is a fact of life here at the moment. Average call out fees are €20 per hour, a call to any of them will confirm this. There are in our area several established computer repair shops all fighting for the same business.

The problem is the bloody things dont break down as often as they used to

Regards
Falkland

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 12:25 PM by g-cogle Star rating in Granada. 6 posts Send private message

g-cogle´s avatar
Hi Grumps,
If you like Granada but are a bit unsure as it is further inland, you could consider the "Valle de Lecrín" area. Within this area there are many small "typical" Spanish villages, but also quite a few English people living. The biggest village here is Dúrcal, where you can find everything you will need from doctors to a regular bus service. The other smaller villages are lovely, but have less facilities. The area is about 20 minutes drive from Granada city and half an hour from the coast, so you can make the best of both worlds. There is some spectacular scenery in this area, and the climate isn´t quite as harsh as in Granada. It is still very hot in the summer and cold in the winter but a couple of degrees difference from Granada city is noticeable. It is a great area, which hasn´t been spoilt by an "invasion" of tourists as yet!!

Should you need any help at all when you decide on the move, I will be able to help you, from searching for a property to accompanying you through the whole process. 

I´m sure your husbands IT skills will come in very handy, and its something people always need. My computer needs to go to the "doctors" at least once or twice a year!! In the Lecrin Valley area, there are, as I´ve said, a good number of expats living, which could be a good place to get started. 

Anyway, good luck with everything, and I´m here to help if you need anything!

Like 0      
19 Sep 2008 12:19 AM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar
Hmmmm....he could start by showing you where the CAPS LOCK is!

Like 0      
19 Sep 2008 7:24 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Sorry last post,
lost me there

Like 0      
19 Sep 2008 7:40 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Look at the first post!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2008 7:41 PM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar
Grumps made her original post using just higher case letters.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2008 8:53 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Well whatever
Good luck Grumps, certainly caught my attention.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts
Messy Separation laws - 1 posts
URGENTLY I NEED PROPERTIES IN eSTEPONA MARBELLA SAN PEDRO TO LET - 0 posts
Swapping Sand or Sangria - 7 posts
Help - Advice needed about changing Lawyers - 3 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent? - 23 posts
Cajamurcia online transfers to Spanish accounts - 3 posts
Thanks for the photos - 2 posts
Need cat friendly hotel near Madrid - 0 posts
Residencia - 1 posts
HELP!! Living in spain at the minute to quite thinking of going to Ibi - Alicante? - 2 posts
Importance of Legal Counsel's location - 3 posts
Can you help - 12 posts
new law registering mobile phones - 6 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL WANTED - ROJALES/BENIJOFAR/QUESADA - 3 posts
IMPORTANT - XL Airways fold - 0 posts
XL Airlines fold! - 7 posts
non residency - 1 posts
eating out - 0 posts
Spanish Rental Contract - HELP - 0 posts
GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH - 8 posts
BuddhaBeachBanus ? - 0 posts
Traffic Office Malaga - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x