How to give your Spanish Lawyer a kick up the @

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi everyone,

Is there any way of giving my lawyer a swift kick up the arse?

Completed with lots of outstanding problems on the 11th August 2006. Person dealing with our 'file' left said lawyers late October, since then am getting nowhere.

Last email sent to lawyers and ignored 2nd February 2007, last telephone message to lawyers, fobed off and ignored same date. Last email received from lawyers fobing me off 17th November 2006.

Surely lawyers in Spain can be smacked on the wrist by someone? Maybe I need to employ another lawyer to take over the file and sue the arse of these lawyers for there incompetence?

Any suggestions?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 1:17 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Not much Im afraid - if you go to another lawyer you will have to pay them as well. Unfortunately they get their money and run. Which company is it as I may know them and could offer some help.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 4:17 PM by gail Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

You could contact the Colegio de Abagodos that your lawyer is registered with - but they probably will not reply. They are supposed to be the equivalent of the Law Society in the UK.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 5:18 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Rixxy, thanks! Have PM'd you details of Lawyers

Gail, Not a bad idea!

Thanks both

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 6:50 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Update!

Telephoned the Lawyers again today, got fobbed off for 30 mins, rang again, may get an email from them telling me who is dealing with my file!?!?!?!?

I just want to fricking now 'who is dealing with my file?'

B@LL@CKS - It's word slurring time - where's me beer!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 8:16 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Have got to the point that I'm going to fly out to Spain, walk into my Lawyers offices and demand all paperwork (my file) be handed over to me, and at the same time demand the fee that I paid them to complete the transaction be paid back to me.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 5:38 PM by jplMUÑOZ Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi tECHNOAPE:

jUST ONE SUGGESTION... INSTEAD SPEND THE DAY IN THE CHAT, WHY YOU DO NOT SEND ANOTHER E-MAIL TO YOUR LAWYER AND EXPLAIN YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH HIM?

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 5:46 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

12 Apr 2007 6:20 PM by gail Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

You could also try asking for a complaint form - Hoja de Reclamacion. By law all businesses must have these available. Many lawyers and developers will try and tell you that they do not need to keep these forms - it's not true. In fact you can report them for refusing to issue a form.

The form is in three parts and must be completed in the office of the business you are reporting - it can be completed in English. You will need to have either your NIE number or Passport number.

There is a section for the business to make a reply.

They keep one part of the form, you keep one and you send the third to the local OMIC, Oficina de Municipal al Consumidor which is in the local Town Hall.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 7:56 PM by Marts Star rating in Marbella. 6 posts Send private message

TECHAPE: Have you paid them all of the fees... or only 0,5%? If you still owe them money then u can change lawyers... & see whether the new ones will charge you only 0.5%. ...humm.. only an idea..  This will annoy your old lawyers. You can also make a complaint to El colegio de abogados... Anyway off to see the football.. getting interesting!   XX

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 11:46 AM by MFRW Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

I guess you fear the "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" syndrome that exists with certain lawyers here.

I had a client with a wholly justifiable dispute with a Madrid lawyer and the local Collegio were not interested. Malaga may be the same. They are simply not set up as the English Law Society who have a regulatory role over Solicitors -for the publics benefit - as well as being their "Trade Union."

Changing lawyers is entirely possible but in my experience arse kicking is best done face to face .....if you see what I mean.

M

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 1:36 PM by Marts Star rating in Marbella. 6 posts Send private message

The problem with arse kicking face to face ( don't get me wrong, I believe it 's brilliant) is that you will see an initial response but experiece tells me that problem will probably continue... And do you want to have a lawyer in Spain who is completely useless?

There are many proffessional lawyers around who are willing to give a good service & provide you with refferences of their clients. My advice is that if you are not getting a good service, you must definately change. Or at least I wouldn't put up with it...If you happen to put a denuncia to the Colegio de abogados make sure you change lawyers beforehand!

Anyway good luck.!

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 2:24 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Putting a denuncia forward to the Collegio de Abogados, certainly in Marbella ,is a complete waste of time! Ours was put forward by our new lawyer.. The Collegio summoned the offending lawyer to a meeting with our lawyer at their (CdA)offices but he didn't bother to respond..or turn up for the meeting. (I can visualise shrugging of shoulders and hand jestures at this stage!!!)..but our lawyer has not given up. We have a kind of"arbitration" hearing that will be heard before a judge next month. We are not holding our breath on this one though!.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 7:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Anyone who has read my articles about a year in the life of the president will remember that we were having some problems with one owner. Always very late paying her quota, and her apartment is rented to a filthy tennant who has brought an infestation of cockroaches to the building, affecting the immediate neighbours who have had to pay for fumigation of their apartments. She rarely answers any of our calls or letters, and when she does, she says she is not interested in the problems caused by her tennant since they are "good payers". She told us if we want to denounce her tennant, feel free, but she refuses to divulge the name of said tennant, so it's difficult for us to take any action. And she's late again with her community dues, and no amount of letters or phone calls make a blind bit of difference.

Reason I'm posting this here?

She's a bloody lawyer.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Apr 2007 11:51 AM by angela Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I changed lawyers, but the first lawyer who was useless, will not give up the paperwork until I pay 1/2%  plus costs. Any ideas?

Like 0      
27 Apr 2007 6:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
What paperwork are you missing? Maybe you can get duplicates of whatever you need from another source? If you can be a little more specific, someone may have some suggestions.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Apr 2007 11:48 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Crikey Roberto!

A Lawyer, owner, with tennant, not playing ball, don't think you are in a "win win" situation there mate!

Good luck to you as Presidente and to your committee..................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
05 May 2007 1:33 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar

Quote from our Spanish lawyer: "We just wait for the last licence and then we know all the others must be in place."

What is he being paid to to if not check that the licences that should be in place are already there?

I think he needs a bit of 'encouragement'!

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 4:03 PM by gwilymrj Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Many years ago the Sur in English reported a most interesting case involving a Spanish lawyer. A Brit was buying a property here and he asked his English solicitor for help. Quite rightly the English solicitor said it was outside his field but he would help as best he could. The solicitor did what was and probably still is the normal practice of getting from the seller's lawyer an undertaking from that lawyer to clear any financial charges against the property that might be revealed after completion and not yet registered. This was duly done.

You know what's coming. Yes, three months later a jumbo monetary charge appeared against the property. The buyer consulted his UK solicitor who wrote to the Spanish lawyer asking him to honour his undertaking. Tough life, innit, said the Spanish lawyer, so the solicitor complained to the Malaga Colegio of Abogados.

You guessed it. Tough life, innit, they said.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 4:33 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Things are changing. I will tell you more on this soon... by the middle of April.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying at Alboaire Golf - 0 posts
Diesal Van Wanted - 0 posts
Long Term Rental - 1 posts
Classic VW Beetle, Bargain! - 0 posts
Cheap hols etc, offers on flights to the Costas - 0 posts
HODS. It's Official! - 2 posts
RECOMMENDED PLACES TO EAT ON THE COSTA BLANCA - 1 posts
Neighbourhood watch in Spain - 1 posts
Good Restaurant Guide - 6 posts
Insurance for heart attack travellers .. help !!! - 2 posts
Ryanair flights booked Tue 06th Feb - Thu 08th Feb - 0 posts
Los Tulipanes - Palomares Village - 0 posts
Speeding Fine - 25 posts
A MUST READ!! - 21 posts
Dental Care - 25 posts
A sad state of affairs - 12 posts
Deposit Refund - 1 posts
Lynx Dishwasher - Brand New (unwanted item in builders' furniture pack) - 6 posts
Thank you Jeansis - 3 posts
Doing my sums. - 3 posts
Things to do - 1 posts
furniture stores - 6 posts
Lectures about Local Taxes in Spain - 1 posts
El Raso urbanisation. 5 mins drive from Guardamar, Costa Blanca. - 2 posts
Princess park - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x