furniture stores

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by curious Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi all,

We are having some electrical work done, our electrician is preparing a boletin so that we can have a new contract with the electricity company.  The electrician has requested a copy of our NIE Forms and our bank details to set up the new contract with the electricity company and a direct debit.  Is this standard procedure for electricians to be able to do this type of thing? 

All seems a bit strange to me, but was wondering if this was common practice in spain,we haven't given him our pin numbers or anything else silly like that.  I can't understand how he can set up a direct debit  without us signing for it.

If anyone has experienced a similiar experience or has any advice  on this matter I would be really grateful to receive it.  We are in England while the work is being done and it is difficult not to worry,although the electrician does come highly recommended to us.

Also the electrician has flagged up that not only did we need the supply changing but now we need the wiring changing as it is not suitable for modern appliances.  Does anyone know how much a rewire normally costs in spain?  It is very difficult to get a quote off the electrician, we know his hourly rate but we have no idea how long it takes to rewire a house.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 6:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Curious,

Personally, I think all he needs is  your NIE number, not a copy of the form. This is needed to set up the account with the electricity company.

Yes, bank details too, but only a/c name/number and branch.

As for the DD form, I am sure you have to sign it............. the Spniahs banking system is so different from ours though.

If a DD goes out and you are not happy with it, you can recall it, but you only have a certain amount of time to do that.

I would stronglt recommend you get online banking with your Spanish account, so you can regularly check it.

I am sorry I can't answer anything else.

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 7:31 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi guys sorry to disappoint you but you can set up a DD without a signature. He can probably do everything he needs without your NIE certificate but no harm in giving him a copy of it - not the original. He might also need a copy of your Escritura - or the Copia Simplé. Spanish contractors often reluctant to give a price for the job but wouldnt do anything without a prior quote - if he needs to factor something in for the unknowns ask him for the quote and then an additional provision in case of.....................

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Feb 2007 7:36 PM by curious Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi both, thanks for replying. 

You were right he did manage to set up direct debit with this information as the payment has already gone out of my bank.  Good news though, one less job for me to sort out.  It is  quite a different procedure though isn't it?

Like 0      
26 Feb 2007 8:07 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

26 Feb 2007 9:29 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
It's quite scary that someone can set up a DD without you actually having to sign anything.  That's why I ALWAYS check my bank statements here, I never really used to bother in UK.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Feb 2007 11:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Absolutely. You may have started me off on one of my rants, Justin. Perhaps this should be re-directed to a thread on banking?

If you are not resident in Spain, then you will inevitably have to put yourself at the mercy of the bank to pay your utilities etc. Get registered online and check accounts regularly.

If you live/are going to live here, and if you can afford the time, I strongly suggest that you pay any bills you can yourself. Some companies (telephone, insurance for example) only accept payment by DD, but since the banks can be alarmingly shoddy, it's much safer to avoid this if poss. It can be a nuisance - many banks are actively trying to discourage you paying bills at the counter, because a) it makes work for them and b) the majority of their staff are innumerate and make too many mistakes, which c) makes work for them. My water bill can only be paid at Unicaja on a Tuesday or Thursday, between 8.30 & 10.00am, and only if the queue is short enough to actually reach the counter in an hour & a half! However, I can pay it from my account using the ATM at my bank at any time, no charge, by scanning the bar code and following the on screen instructions (which can be displayed in English). Telefonica would have you believe you have to give them bank details and set up a DD, but this is not true - just tell them "no" and pay in cash. This, along with my electric bill, I can pay at a variety of banks at a variety of hours & days, but at ANY time in the Post Office, which is open 8.00am to 8.00pm. Just watch out for the grumpy old git who ALWAYS short changes you by 1 or 2 cents (think about it, it adds up throughout the day!)

Other potential problems? Submitted my tax return forms to the bank one time, when I was due a rebate. This should have been credited to my account from Hacienda. Unfortunately, the clerk hit the wrong button, and debited my account for the same amount. When I spotted the error, I was told I would have to apply to Hacienda to get my money back! After screaming my t*ts off to the manager, he finally agreed to rectify the problem - by offering me a loan for the amount I was down, until such time as Hacienda repaid the money missing from my account. No interest either - how kind. As for insurance companies - we were unfortunate enough one year to have 3, albeit relatively small, claims on our property insurance. When we received our renewal notice, we were amazed to find our premium had gone up as a result - but by more than the 3 claims put together! We immediately contacted the insurance company and told them they could keep their policy. OK, we should have put it in writing, but we didn't realise that they could simply go ahead and take the money for the next year from our bank account anyway. When we spotted the debit 2 weeks afterwards, we were told by our bank not to worry, because you have 15 days to contest any payments made from your account on your behalf! Just in the nick of time, we got our money back. But what if.....

Glad I got that off my chest. I'm now going into the Alhambra thread to look at Janice's photos and calm down.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lectures about Local Taxes in Spain - 1 posts
El Raso urbanisation. 5 mins drive from Guardamar, Costa Blanca. - 2 posts
Princess park - 4 posts
Bob, in here a mo. - 1 posts
Ladies Hockey and Childrens Rugby - 1 posts
Grupo Mirador Builders - 1 posts
THE RAIN IN SPAIN FALLS MAINLY EVERYWHERE - 16 posts
Satellite Navigation - 5 posts
Freeview Digital Tuners - 1 posts
TV shows about the Costas - 145 posts
Property Management - 6 posts
Lloyds TSB UK & Spain - 3 posts
Snagging Time - 15 posts
Sharp fall in house sales to foreign purchasers on the Costa del Sol - 11 posts
CHILD´S BED FOR SALE. - 0 posts
Spanish Healthcare - 6 posts
Warning! Builder in serious trouble in Monte S.Juan - 1 posts
Ford Focus, 5 Dr, 1.6 Petrol, 3600 Euros - 6 posts
List your items for sale for free - 2 posts
I want to sell my car - 6 posts
English lawyer/ solicitor required specilising in "Spanish Law" to try and get our money back! - 26 posts
MEMBERS .. PLEASE LOOK IN HERE & TAKE NOTE. THANK YOU - 47 posts
Any Spanish people in Atlanta? - 5 posts
Guaranteed Rental Income, too good to be true??? - 36 posts
Any views on Parador - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x