Ex-Pat Faux-Pas?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar

I remember when living and working in the US, I could always spot the English tourists - salmon pink faces and socks with sandals, unhappy at the amount of ice in their cokes (until they realised there were free refills), wearing football shirts to dinner,  chips-with-everything, etc - and, horrible snob that I can be, would occasionally be found developing a passable local accent in the hope of avoiding detection.

So, in advance of our move to Spain, I was wondering if there were any obvious examples of what we, as newcomers to the country, should avoid doing? You know, those potentially cringeworthy actions which mark the individual out as a Johnny-come-lately, or even worse, a tourist.

(Ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek...)

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 10:00 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, but the football shirts play a large part of life in Spain as well.  And there's always the socks with sandals giveaway so try to avoid that.  If you really want to stand out as a Brit ex-pat, go into any big supermarket (Carrefour is the preferred one) and ask the shop assistant where the HP sauce is.  When she can't understand you, just shout louder as all these Johnny Foreigners understand after a bit of shouting.  When you can't find what you want, exit the store muttering loudly about how they should all speak English because you bring so much money into the area.  And to really blend in with the ex-pat criminal fraternity, lots of gold bling and dyed blonde hair (on men, of course) really makes you stand out.  Of course, all this sartorial elegance must be accompanied by a pair of baggy shorts which slip just down ever so slightly when you're loading up the car so the builders bum is in evidence.

During the winter months, a tatty fleece top over your shorts should suffice.  You will look ever so elegant sitting outside the pub in the middle of the day, gripping your glass of Guinness ever so tightly while complaining to all and sundry that they "don't know how to keep a good pint over here" or muttering "anyone know what time Mercadona closes on a Saturday night?"

Of course, it's not only the Brit expats that stand out.  Northern Europeans can be easily spotted by the matching shell-suits sported by married couples.  The gold bling and dyed blonde hair is fairly interchangeable amongst these groups but the purses carried by the men should be a giveaway that they are not pukka gen Brits.  The Brits tend to have shoulder bags instead.

All expats must grip their bags tightly when approached by a swarthy North African shouting "no, no....I've already got a watch/sunglasses/baseball cap/gold chain (delete which appropriate) ".

And don't forget, never make eye contact with one of the Guardia Civil when out for your morning constitutional.  And to really blend in with the local populace, never, ever pick up the doo doos left by your dog!!!!!!

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 10:12 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar

Cheers, Bob. I was worried folk might not have appreciated the mischievous nature of my post.

[hurries off to purchase his HP Sauce in bulk]

Like 0      
06 Dec 2007 7:38 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

bobaol

Your post was brilliant!

Your sense of humour is second to none, well done!

You forgot to mention though.....the women that come straight from the pool or beach, still in their bikinis, transparant sarong tied around to "hide" their bulging masses.....................

Do they frequent Tesco's during the UK summer dressed like this too?!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
06 Dec 2007 10:10 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Sorry, but the football shirts play a large part of life in Spain as well.  And there's always the socks with sandals giveaway so try to avoid that.  If you really want to stand out as a Brit ex-pat, go into any big supermarket (Carrefour is the preferred one) and ask the shop assistant where the HP sauce is.  When she can't understand you, just shout louder as all these Johnny Foreigners understand after a bit of shouting.  When you can't find what you want, exit the store muttering loudly about how they should all speak English because you bring so much money into the area.  And to really blend in with the ex-pat criminal fraternity, lots of gold bling and dyed blonde hair (on men, of course) really makes you stand out.  Of course, all this sartorial elegance must be accompanied by a pair of baggy shorts which slip just down ever so slightly when you're loading up the car so the builders bum is in evidence.

Hahahahaha! Brilliant post.  I always say to those who shout, "They're foreign, not deaf!"

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 1:50 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And shout more slowly - that sometimes works!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 5:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Try to avoid asking every other Brit you encounter "So, are you on holiday, or do you live here?" Definite no-no.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 6:21 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
absolutely, Roberto!!  That made me laugh!  I have that all the time here.  We played golf in Ras al Khaimah last week (about an hour's drive from Dubai) and I was in the changing rooms after the round when a British woman walked in, about to go out for a round, and asked how my game had been and then "so, are you on holiday here??".  Just so she could let me know that she had bought an apartment  at the resort and commuted each weekend from Dubai!!! 

Please!!!!!  Have you seen Ras al Khaimah!!

Like 0      
10 Dec 2007 12:53 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar
Or try not to assume that you fit in with those that were here before the cranes....because you won't.

Regards

John

Like 0      
10 Dec 2007 11:34 PM by hudsey Star rating in Hexham, Northumberla.... 120 posts Send private message

hudsey´s avatar
Also, don't advise everyone who you meet that has recently purchased a property, to sell up and MOVE OUT IMMEDIATELY! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Thinking of using Parador Properties? Think Again! - 18 posts
Woodburning stoves - 3 posts
Sweet tooth in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Been told theres a sky set about for 500e and NO monthly ???? - 4 posts
Careful with your cases - 5 posts
dentists - 2 posts
furnishing masa properties - 5 posts
Wanted to Rent between Aguilas and Mojacar - 1 posts
Wanted 3 bed Duplex early June 2008 - 3 posts
Time Limits on Snagging Issues - 14 posts
Where can I find this sofa bed? - 6 posts
Postal Deliveries - 17 posts
Urbanisation Gardeners and pool cleaners - 0 posts
Media Scaremongering - 3 posts
Looking to buy in 2008 - 20 posts
Places to stay in Cadiz & Jerez - 9 posts
Gardens in Spain - 4 posts
Mortgage Option - 33 posts
A very happy Christmas & New Year from Morerosado - 30 posts
People power vs Orihuela Costa townhall. - 10 posts
Books and Greeting Cards to Spain - 15 posts
Nerves - What are the keys to a successful move and staying and enjoying Spain - 26 posts
Motorcycling in Spain - 6 posts
New traffic laws now in force - 9 posts
Pool Cleaning - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x