Nerves - What are the keys to a successful move and staying and enjoying Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Is it I wonder normal to have so many nerves about moving to spain....

For me I am sure this is the right thing to do, but then you wonder about the kids,,,will they be happy, will I be happy...how many people actually do return and what are the keys to a successful move and staying and enjoying Spain

I think I know the answers...but I'd like to hear what all the people who have done it say....call it my early Xmas present"""!!""""

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 10:29 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Well firstly well done for giving it a go - many people dont and then regret not at least trying. The truth is you wont know until you have been here, overcome the trials and tribulations and then after a few years once settled you will feel a huge sense of achievement at being a true pioneer!

You will have nerves and wonder - its only natural and Im sure all of us woke up in the middle of the night thinking what on earth are we doing! So much of life nowadays is pre-conditioned for us, what we do , how we dress and how we behave, that it feels strange to do something seemingly out of the ordinary!

Your kids will certainly thank you and if its any help, I read the uk papers at the weekend and am sickened to the stomach at some of the horrific stories of whats going on in the world. Granted bad things happen here too, but they are more than compensated for by seeing my kids happy and healthy and with a future in front of them!

If for any reason you cannot or do not want to settle - the culture shock may be too much for you, then you can always go back knowing you tried but it just wasnt for you, but if you dont try, you never know!

The very best of luck and let us know how you get on. And if you need anything, just post!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
It's more than normal to have some level of anxiety before you move.  It is such a BIG change in ones life. 

We moved over with two-year old twins and started a new business.  Starting a business is stressful enough, doing so in a different country is whole new challenge!

My main advice would be to always try to have a contingency plan.  What if you cannot get a job?  What if your new business doesn't seem to be working?  What if you can't get your kids into the local state school?  What you if you end up not liking the area?  What if you are running out of money?

We certainly didn't do enough proper planning and we had a tough time at the beginning because of it. 

At the end of the day if it doesn't work out well at least you tried it, as that in itself is an achcievement.

Best of luck with it all.  I'm sure you'll be fine....just plan, plan, plan!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 8:12 PM by edna Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

HAVE JUST SETTLED IN LOMAS DE ROLDAN, SNAGGING ON MONDAY, NOTARY ON TUESDAY, FURNITURE DELIVERED AND INSTALLED ON WEDNESDAY ALL WENT LIKE CLOCKWORK. EVERYONE ARRIVED WHEN THEY THEY SAID THEY WOULD, SO A BIG THANKS TO GOLF INVEST, MEDSEA ESPECIALLY JOSE, SUSAN, ANNA. TO MURCIA FURNITURE AND ESPECIALLY TO MY NEIGHBOURS MALCOLM AND BABS, CANT WAIT TO BE OUT FULL TIME.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 8:17 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Edna,

It is great to hear such a positive story & the fact that all aspects of your purchase/move all clicked together is absolutely brilliant.

I hope you enjoy your new property.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
04 Dec 2007 11:38 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi pknott,

the moment you see the smile on your childrens faces you will realise it has all been worth it.

I am in the uk at the moment for a week trying to keep mine entertained,apart from it costing a fortune it's freezing cold..........

i forgot how cold and dark it gets here!!!!!!!!!

they are all bored and want to go home to spain already..............

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............................

Georgia

Like 0      
04 Dec 2007 12:08 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Yes - they could be running on the beach - its beautiful again today!

Enjoy UK Georgia!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
04 Dec 2007 9:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would say, don't set your expectations too high. Don't expect to be speaking fluent Spanish within a couple of months, don't expect to make loads of Spanish friends and integrate into Spanish society. Don't expect to make loads of money. Don't expect to get things done quickly, don't expect things to work properly or run smoothly, don't expect customer service like you're accustomed to, and don't expect anyone to give a damn or even listen to you if you start complaining. If you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed!

To talk about the mañana mentality sounds like a cliché, but it really is important to slow down, take a deep breath, and learn to be very, very patient. Spain can try the patience of a saint at times, but if you can adjust to the pace of life and relax, the rewards will come to you and your family. It can also be a very satisfying and pleasant place to live.

Best of luck, and remember, as others have said, if it turns out not to be for you, you can always go back knowing that you gave it a shot, but if you don't try it, you'll always wonder what if..... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 7:39 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
All great responses as per usual...

Only have one more question (Have lots but for different areas)

In relation to Justins " We certainly didn't do enough proper planning"

If you were to give a top 3 things you need to plan for (exclude getting a job or money) then what would they be.....

yours

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 1:54 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Easy - shorts teeshirts and sunglasses!

Oh and prepare yourself to ensure you can cope with the extra alcohol you get served, and also acclimatise to fresh air - makes you sleep more deeply, and also plan to remember how to have fun!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 6:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure it's possible to give a top 3, 'cos there's so many things to think of and everyone has different priorities, but I think you've already started well by participating in this forum, asking loads of questions and picking people's brains. Wish we'd had EoS when we made the move!

When we first arrived in Spain, it was with a Landcruiser loaded to the hilt, and a holiday apartment booked for one week. Had to sleep with one eye open for fear all our worldlies in the 'Cruiser would attract the wrong kind of attention. NOT a good way to embark on a new adventure. I'm confident you've already planned a lot further ahead than we did, so...STOP WORRYING !!!!!!!

Rixxy joked about the alcohol measures, but in fact I think it's a valid point, simply because so many foreigners who come to live here seem to end up going down the same rocky road. Only this week we were recounting with an old friend the lives of a British couple who took early retirement back in 1996, and moved to Mallorca (we got to know them when we arrived there in '97) They were then 54 & 51 respectively, healthy and financially sound (Merchant Marine pension, own property etc.) One of them passed away in 2003, the other in July this year - both from alcohol related problems. I know it's a pretty grim and shocking story, and I don't wish to upset anyone by retelling it, and I know their cases were quite extraordinary, but I mention only as a general warning to others not to succumb to the temptation of over indulging. It's far too easy to get caught up in an ex-pat culture based on hanging around in bars night and day, taking advantage of cheaper and larger measures than we are accustomed to.

Sorry about that. Now, HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone, relax & enjoy yourselves!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2007 8:04 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
100% Agree...as I have three young children, they tend to keep us very busy...the only times we get to go out is on the weekend and even at 42 my body cannot take heavy sessions, or is it the early mornigns with my children waking me up don't agree with drinking. Either way both my wife and I plan on another route which is to get get real healthy, with lots of exercise (too cold in Ireland to go out) and good healthy eating eating

I agree with your observations as I have seen the same faces when on holidays in Oliva waiting for the bars to open, not my type of existence and I need to be fit to run after the kids!

I will take your advice (and my wifes) and stop worrying, as she says it always works out...

Thanks

PS : Mine is a Rum and coke....ahaahha

Like 0      
06 Dec 2007 10:12 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

hi all You guys,

Not posted in a while as up to my eyes but thought i would put in a wee bit of my unusable wisdom 

We fly out to spain to live perm in exactly 4 weeks from today, we are at the moment emptying the whole house, I handed in my notice at work and they have replaced me already, my daughter is p7 and has 2 weeks left at the school she has been in since nursery, and every time I speak to my mum about us moving, she wells up....

its plain to say YES nerves for me at the moment are as bad as it gets BUT every time I remeber back to our house in spain and the weather and the manana lifestyle, I have a huge smile on my face.....BUT now its so close yeah, I sometime have MAJOR reality checks - thinking, HOLY COW I AM MOVING TO SPAIN, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING??????????????

But i was warned that around 6 weeks before you go, this happens and its totally normal to feel it all..so i am going with the flo, i have no doubt that, it MIGHT not work out, it MIGHT not be like I imagined, I MIGHT get sick of the sun, sea and sangrai - not likely tho! ha ha anyway I will never regret doing this, like you all say, if you never try you will never know, THANKS for all the advise and Good luck to pknott too!!

Like 0      
06 Dec 2007 10:26 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

sazzle, for you!!

pknott. no1. look and listen

no 2. learn Spanish.

no3. smile and enjoy.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Dec 2007 11:13 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Sazzle

I wish it was me

I hope you and your family enjoy your new adventure. Make sure you let us know how you get on.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 9:17 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Absolutely...let us knnow how you go sazzle...really interested in your journey, pitfalls and successes...gwan start a blog so we can all share!!!

On the 3 steps...

no1. look and listen
I am ...
no 2. learn Spanish.
I am ...but finding it tough, I expect that my learning curve will only increase when I am in spain and have to speak...on a daily basis...can't wait
no3. smile and enjoy.
I find it difficult to keep from not grinning....especially when everyone thinks I'm up to something...

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 3:11 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Amazing how the nerves set in when the time approaches.  We move over in 3 or 4 months time and the butterflies are twitching already.  Even though I've lived in 6 or 7 different countries before,  and moved many times, this time it's going to be permanent so nerve ends are jangling like mad. 

I am worried about the increasing cost of living in Spain.  I know it's cheaper than UK but it appears to be getting closer all the time especially with the converging of the pound and the euro.  The money I'd planned on having 5 years ago has got less with the drop from 1.70 to below 1.40 and my pensions not going up as much to cover the difference.  Still, all part of lifes great adventure, I suppose.  The other big difference is that I have worked in all the other countries I have lived in.  This time it will be sitting with my feet up and no regular employment so that will be a big change in lifestyle.

Maybe all us up-sticksters (made up word) could get together this time next year and pass on our experiences.  I'm sure we will all have different views and life styles and it would be interesting to compare notes between those who moved over to work, those who moved over to retire and those who are young enough (and lucky enough) to be able to choose what lifestyle they want.

And to make it even more challenging, we could compare notes by speaking Spanish only!!!  Maybe an incentive to learn the lingo a bit better.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 4:01 PM by valf Star rating in Dundee...Scotland. 62 posts Send private message

valf´s avatar

Hi all,

have noticed sazzle you are from scotland and aremoving to spain soon.which area are you going to.My hubby is already in marbella and myself and my 2 boys are joining him next saturday.i cant wait to be with him again but do have the jitters at the same time.I just hope that it will all work out,but i will never know if i dont try i suppose.now i am just counting down the days now and keeping fingers crossed for the future.

Like 0      
08 Dec 2007 7:16 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Good luck with your move Valf.

At least you are moving into an established property if your hubby is already there.

I am sure you will enjoy the slower pace of life and the sunshine.

take care,

kind regards

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Dec 2007 12:11 PM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

Troythecat´s avatar

Good luck Sazzle. I think your pre-move nerves are just natural, after all it is probably the biggest life event you've undertaken..! You will be fine once you are there Think of the weather we are having here and that'll keep you going!

Margaretx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Motorcycling in Spain - 6 posts
New traffic laws now in force - 9 posts
Pool Cleaning - 1 posts
20,417 ??? - 35 posts
Arenal 2000 - Benalmadena - 2 posts
niel - 2 posts
can anyone help me???? - 2 posts
INTERNET BANKING - SCAM EMAILS - 7 posts
inspect a home spain - 6 posts
inspect a home spain - 2 posts
Legal action against Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
EASYJET... NEW ROUTE FROM MAY ... NEWCASTLE TO MURCIA - 0 posts
Can anyone help me??? - 1 posts
EasyJet have released Bristol to Murcia & Alicante summer flights - 15 posts
Mojon Hills nr Puerto de Mazarron, Region of Murcia - 0 posts
Automatic Rip Off - 3 posts
Agents cash back lies - 2 posts
Data Protection Act 1999 - 5 posts
Expenditure before establishment of community...... liable or not? - 6 posts
Diabetics in Spain - Medication cost and Medical care - 7 posts
Handball club(s) in granada! - 0 posts
What happened to Interealty? - 6 posts
Health advice - 2 posts
ToysRUs now in Elche, Costa Blanca, just in time for Christmas. - 14 posts
LOVING HOME NEEDED FOR 2 SMALL DOGS - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x