Books and Greeting Cards to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by NickandJo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of help. As a market trader in the UK who wants to use my property in Spain more, I plan to bring Books and greetings cards to Spain. I appreciate this may not be new idea but trying to teach an old dog new tricks etc,,, it's a business I know.

Does anyone have a list (or suggestions) of well attended (by expats) boot sales throughout the Costas. Really need six days a week to make this ork for me.

Any info, hints, tips, warnings, advice etc etc recieved with many thanks.

Also, if anyone needs UK books or cards at wholesale prices, please let me know....

Nick and Jo

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 3:31 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hola and welcome top the forum. If you can tell us what are you are going to them Im sure we will be able to let you know about boot sales etc - we are all over Spain.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 3:55 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

When I first arrived in Spain, one big joy was that I found a constant supply of British books on sale on every corner for 2€ each second hand...................this year I note they have dropped to 1.50€ AND you get half the price you paid when you return them!!

Yes, there are lots of car boots...........but that means there are lots of books.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 6:44 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

im looking forward to raiding your bookshelf at new year, Karen .... sounds like you are as avid a reader as i am. 

When i visit Spain i only carry one book with me and then buy them over there and leave them ... i havent been around long enough to find the 2nd hand book stores and end up paying top dollar ... now i will just turn up at Karen's house and look pathetic until she takes pity on me!

Nick and Jo - maybe you need to target the "holiday" market where people dont yet know where to find the cheaper alternatives? 

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:00 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

You're more than welcome AuntieEm.........................when I left England I had to get rid

or 2500 books.....................not got quite as many now.......but still LOTS !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:26 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

2500 Books Karen?

I thought I was bad with about 400!!

Unfortunately for me (& my bank balance) I literally cannot walk past a book shop without buying. My other problem is that I have a thing about second hand books so only buy new ones.

Thankfully we have a "British Bookshop" near us & they do great reductions on brand new titles.

Usually when going on holiday half our luggage allowance is taken up in books!!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:29 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I just LOVE books........................just like you Noreen, I have difficulty walking past a book shop and Waterstones and Smiths are my first stop in England.......even before Primark, Matalan, Thorntons and Whittards!!!!

What's your problem with 2nd hand books?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:43 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

ohhh i think we should start up a book lovers club ...

i too love books ... i have an need to OWN books and sometimes can hardly get in the house past the piles of book before the OH says "enough is enough" and i have to "declutter"

i dont mind second hand, but i prefer paperback to hardback ... but because i need i also need to read book when they come out (often im waiting for them to be published!) I end up with a lot of hardbacked books ... a bit of a nightmare to take on holiday!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 7:57 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

I think it must be some deep rooted psychological thing. I guess I just like teh newness of the book & knowing that no-one elses grubby mitts have been on the pages before mine.

I actually prefer hard backs & like you Auntie Em, I am always waiting for the next book from my favourite authors. The Airport early releases are great for impatient bookworms!!

Maybe we should stop hijacking this thread & start a separate booklovers thread?

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
08 Dec 2007 8:00 PM by jemima Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Whereabout are all the 2nd hand book stalls/shops!!!????!!! I live near Huelva and cant find any anywhere!!! My husband and i are evid readers and would be very interested to know of anywhere at all (even within 1 to 1&1/2 hr travelling) where we can buy books!

Any info much appreciated,

Karen

Like 0      
08 Dec 2007 8:50 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Whereabouts is Huelva??

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
08 Dec 2007 9:44 PM by jemima Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Costa de la Luz, 1 hour from the Portugal Border, and 1 hour from Sevilla.

Like 0      
08 Dec 2007 9:47 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Sorry, we are nowhere near you. Most English shops around us sell and take in exchange second hand books.........the sort of newsagent shops are the usual ones or try the car boot sales.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
09 Dec 2007 12:47 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Have you tried this one ?

HUELVA The English Bookshop Calle San Cristobal, 11. Very friendly and helpful people. ... Sells lots of second-hand books in many different languages… ...
www.eslbase.com/travel/bookshops/spain
HUELVA
The English Bookshop

Very friendly and helpful people.
Books in various languages, good range of textbooks and literature.
Delivery to your door.
phone: 959 281 094
email: readingles@eresmas.com

This message was last edited by morerosado on 12/9/2007.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2007 7:30 PM by jemima Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi morerosado. Many thanks for the info. I just tried emailing them but their email has been returned unknown. I will try phoning them tomorrow. Many thanks once again, and fingers crossed they´re still there...

Regards

Karen

Like 0      
10 Dec 2007 6:04 PM by magsfhy Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

When I arrived here in Turkey I had 2 books due to the fact that Mr Magsfhy was keeping a very stern eye on baggage allowance limit. There were a few restaurants/ cafes that did book exchange but I was walloping through them at a ferocious rate so , one early morning I had the idea to start a book swop club at my house. Put it on a kusadasi forum and it just took off! From a small beginning I ended up with over 500 books, met many ex-pats and made lots of friends. Now, there is a new library opening in town and the books are going into the english section so a lot more people will be able to enjoy them.

So if you see a middle-aged lady tottering around the car boot sales laden down with books....it'll be me!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nerves - What are the keys to a successful move and staying and enjoying Spain - 26 posts
Motorcycling in Spain - 6 posts
New traffic laws now in force - 9 posts
Pool Cleaning - 1 posts
20,417 ??? - 35 posts
Arenal 2000 - Benalmadena - 2 posts
niel - 2 posts
can anyone help me???? - 2 posts
INTERNET BANKING - SCAM EMAILS - 7 posts
inspect a home spain - 6 posts
inspect a home spain - 2 posts
Legal action against Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
EASYJET... NEW ROUTE FROM MAY ... NEWCASTLE TO MURCIA - 0 posts
Can anyone help me??? - 1 posts
EasyJet have released Bristol to Murcia & Alicante summer flights - 15 posts
Mojon Hills nr Puerto de Mazarron, Region of Murcia - 0 posts
Automatic Rip Off - 3 posts
Agents cash back lies - 2 posts
Data Protection Act 1999 - 5 posts
Expenditure before establishment of community...... liable or not? - 6 posts
Diabetics in Spain - Medication cost and Medical care - 7 posts
Handball club(s) in granada! - 0 posts
What happened to Interealty? - 6 posts
Health advice - 2 posts
ToysRUs now in Elche, Costa Blanca, just in time for Christmas. - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x