Registering as EU citizen

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2020 3:06 PM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi

Does anyone know where to register as EU citizen in Costa Blanca South?

Any infro would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2020 3:36 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Good Afternoon

Here is an informative website for you. Other forum Members may have other information for you.

https://www.spanishsolutions.net/blog/legal-paperwork/spanish-residency/residency-in-spain-after-brexit/

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 0      
04 Feb 2020 4:04 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

nigel188

Bit awkward at the moment as there are not many appointments available. You can register at a National Police Station of a Foreigner's office with access to the National Police database. The National Police ones I know of are Orihuela, Alicante and Elche. There is a foreigner's office at Orihuela Costa (Playa Flamenca town hall) and Torrevieja (it has moved and I don't know where it is now).

You need to make an appointment online first by using this website
Cita Previa

If you are from UK you may get a message saying there is a special procedure for UK citizens (use Google Chrome as your browser and it will translate to English for you) so click that option. If you are from elsewhere, including Ireland, it is as it has always been.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2020 7:48 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Here is another useful website for you. Although it says Estepona, you can change your location  ie where you live.

https://www.supportinspain.info/organisations/?swoof=1&area-of-influence=estepona

Nigel

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 10:21 AM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Thank you all for such usefful information. It seems impossible at the moment to get through to any of the offices around the Torreviieja/Alicante area, but I'll keep trying.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 2:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This how to make an appointment for registration 

TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE POLICE FOR  NIE,  E.U. Citizen registration, etc.

As you go through you will find links to the application forms and the payment, at any bank, form 

.•            GO TO   https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/ 

•             PROVINCES AVAILABLE:       CHOOSE the province where your are living/ staying 

•             SECTIONS AVAILABLE IN PROVINCE:          OPEN PAGE AND SELECT SECTION  REQUIRED

e.g.    “policía  certificado de residente o no residente”  (that includes NIE application)

NOTE there is now a special section for UK citizens which must be chosen  that is  “Polica-Certificada EU (Exclusivamente  para Reina Unido)

•             ENTER THE DETAILS OF APPLICANT. if you have an NIE show that, if not then show your passport number 

•            CHOOSE NATIONAL POLICE STATION FOR APPOINTMENT:      The one that covers the area where you live 

Motivo o tipo de solicitud de la cita, show reason for requesting appointment

•             CHOOSE AN APPOINTMENT,  AND THEN CONFIRM. If the office you require us not shown that means there are no appointments available at the moment  so please try again later 

•             You must PRINT A COPY OF THE APPOINTMENT,   and take it with you to the police station

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 3:43 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

When you are asked for "Deployment to see procedure available in this province" you have to select the 

EU POLICE - CERTIFICATES (EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM

If you just select the Police - Resident or Non-Resident certificate then it won't show any appointments if you are from the UK.

I just tried it and appointments are coming up in the Foreign Office at Alicante (OEX Alicante C/Ebanisteria. )

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 4:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

MArie.  When no date comes up it means there are no appointments available.   One must just keep trying 

i saw about 15 U.K. nationals registering this morning at a Policia national extranjeria. 

NB    I have seen U.K. nationals who dod not use the selection specifically for them, refused to be allowed to proceed with their application and told to use the correction option. I do not know if that is universally applied. 

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 4:27 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Not sure you read me right, John.

If you select the normal one, put in your nationality as UK and continue, it says nothing available. However, I did one for a Dutch name and nationality and appointments came up.

If you select the one exclusively for UK then appointments will come up in the Alicante province.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2020 8:45 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

At the risk of triggering outrage....does anyone have any info...or gut feeling...as regards how Brexit will affect those who just want to continue to enjoy their gaff in Spain for six months a year (minus a day!) ...and do not wish to become Spanish residents?

Like 0      
07 Feb 2020 9:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Guy you will have to wait and see what agreement is negotiate by U.K. 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 9:31 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I have heard on good authority that nothing will change.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 10:35 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

A good question GuyT.

I wonder if the Spanish authorities will seek to actually impose the "90 in any rolling 180 day period" rule. 

Of course, this would not be in their best interests - it would reduce their revenue receipts, put a spoke in the wheel of their property market and very quickly reduce the number of flights by EasyJet etc - so "shoot themselves in the foot"  (with an AK47!) - but will that affect their judgment? 

If so will the 17 regions have a common stance?  I think doubtful - different interests.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 11:12 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A good question GuyT.

I wonder if the Spanish authorities will seek to actually impose the "90 in any rolling 180 day period" rule. 

Of course, this would not be in their best interests - it would reduce their revenue receipts, put a spoke in the wheel of their property market and very quickly reduce the number of flights by EasyJet etc - so "shoot themselves in the foot"  (with an AK47!) - but will that affect their judgment? 

If so will the 17 regions have a common stance?  I think doubtful - different interests.

Acer           I know of a number of instances when non EU national have had problems regarding over staying. 

Unless UK nationals get something special in an agreement, then I guess UK  NON EU nationals, may have problems too.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 12:59 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Thanks for yours John.

I know a few Brits who stay here 365 days a year - don't own a place in the UK and pay no tax to anyone.  I hope they are forced to mend their ways - cannot abide free-loaders.  But the fact is that they can get away with it makes me wonder about these rules and how enforceable they are.

We have a place in in Murcia region which I suspect is more lax that others, like I imagine Madrid, or possibly CDS which doesn't seem to need the revenue..  But if the 17 regions don't sing from the same hymn their 90 days in any 180 rule becomes unenforceable..  I travel to and fro a lot and quite often I'm waved through at the immigration desk - so how can they keep count of your days in Spain?

It's not a concern to me as I probably follow the rules naturally anyway - but I just wonder if they seriously intend to try and implement - some form of visa system?  I reckon this would be a nightmare for all - except possibly the bad guys, who might see it as a potential nice little earner.  More work for the boys in blue?

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 2:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Acer

I travel to and fro a lot and quite often I'm waved through at the immigration desk - so how can they keep count of your days in Spain?

But that is as an EU national

My wife has lived in spain 14 years.  As a non EU National,  even as a resident in spain, her passport is stamped every time she leaves and arrives.    So how long she is here is clearly shown.     

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/02/2020.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 2:17 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

‘’My wife has lived in Spain 14 years.  As a non EU National, even as a resident in Spain, her passport is stamped every time she leaves and arrives. So how long she is here is clearly shown.’’

That could be a job creation scheme.    

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 3:14 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

John,

I understand your comment, but non-resident EU nationals were obliged to conform to the "not more than 90 in 180 day" rule.  Are you suggesting that this is likely to be seriously enforced now?

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 3:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Acer.  The difference is that after the transition period, unless an agreement is made which changes things,  Brits will no longer have the right to free travel they have enjoyed for the passed 47 years.  

Thus they may be then treated as non EU nationals always have been.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2020 5:13 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Is the following correct? 

“There were changes to the residency regulations in July 2012. The Span­ish gov­ern­ment in­tro­duced new res­id­ency re­quire­ments for all EU citizens.

Un­der the new rules, EU cit­izens ap­ply­ing for res­id­ency in Spain are re­quired to provide;

• Evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants).
  • Proof of private healthcare insurance.

The 6 months rule comes in to play here. If you live less than half a year in Spain you usu­ally do not need to pay resident taxes on Spain. If however you live more than 183 days a year in Spain you do. This ap­plies even if your busi­ness is in the UK (with some ex­cep­tions).

If you leave the UK to live abroad you must tell the HMRC if you are leaving the UK to live abroad permanently.

If someone is liv­ing in Spain, then they are deemed a tax res­id­ent and have to pay taxes to that coun­try, just the same as in other coun­tries.

The main facts you should re­mem­ber are:

• It is not a choice where you pay taxes: after 3 months living in Spain you need to apply for the right to reside there.
  • If you are going to be living in Spain more than 183 days per year (6 months) then you need to talk to someone about tax residency. (Plus some­times people may spend less than 183 days or half a year liv­ing in Spain but be­cause their fam­ily are based in Spain, may still be li­able for Span­ish taxes).”

So is it correct to say that at the moment if you live in Spain more than 183 days per year that it is mandatory to inform HMRC but not mandatory to declare tax residency in Spain? Under these circumstances are fines applicable for those who have not informed HMRC and neither declared tax residency in Spain if they have stayed longer than 183 days? It appears nigh on impossible to identify these instances however!

But what then happens post Brexit to British citizens who are now defined as non EU citizens? Are British citizens still expected to inform HMRC after they have gained residency in Spain ( because Spain aren’t obliged to inform the UK) and how will this be identified if there is no shared database?

Likewise once residency has been approved for those UK citizens who wish to live in Spain longer than 183 days how will these citizens be identified for Spanish tax residency status if there is no mandatory obligation to declare?

The continuing situation for citizens to abuse both countries seems to be left unresolved! Or perhaps I’m missing something here?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Brexit - 40 posts
amazon firestick - 17 posts
Will the Supreme Court grant Consumer Law status to Law 57/68 debate? - 2 posts
Tax rebate for British Erasmus student - 2 posts
All won cases by CostaLuz Lawyers-- off plan refunds and Floor Clause-- so far in 2020 - 0 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--in 2019 - 0 posts
sparkey clarkey electrician - 1 posts
CGT - 5 posts
Taxes as an online teacher - 5 posts
Becoming an estate agent - 13 posts
bank charges - 5 posts
Planning bathroom upgrade should a bathroom fan be considered - 6 posts
Moving to Spain because of BREXIT - 8 posts
Alicante airport fire - 2 posts
Holiday home in Almeria - 4 posts
Garden Rubbish - 15 posts
healthcare working in Gib living in Spain - 6 posts
Mercadona Renovations - 4 posts
Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Joining two Apartments together in an Apartment Block - 7 posts
Security advice, please - 2 posts
Which area to live in Spain - 4 posts
How do I get my apartment back? - 12 posts
Does anyone actually understand reclaiming Witholding Tax on Share Dividends if you are a UK resident - 30 posts
Bank´s liability on custody of off plan funds - 56 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 77

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x