renewing passport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2019 10:10 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, Just realised that my passport expires in a couple of weeks. I have started to complete the online app and discovered that I need a digital photo and one that has a code so that I can attach it to my app. I have looked around the La Cala area for a photo shop but cant find one. Can anyone please reco a shop in the La Cala area please. thanks nic

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 9:16 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

All you need is a digital camera which you can buy from £10 and a bit of know how (not a degree in computer science and photography). You could borrow a camera or get a neighbour to do it for free.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnXrL-hC-Fk

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 09/09/2019.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 10:27 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Mrs B done hers in June. I did the photos. Passport sent them back two weeks later with 4 reasons no good, so she goes into a photo shop,ten quid 6 photos. Passport sent them back this time 3 reasons no good and again two weeks later with a note telling her that if they are not done correctly by the time the old passport runs out she’s loses her fee and has to start again. Went back to photo shop and he did them again. Sent third set of got new passport with photo of Mrs B from the second set of photos. Same time a friend did his and it took just over a week. What the hell went on we don’t know.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 10:49 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Baz, that sounds strange; I presume you were sending hard copy photos in. If you do it online, you upload your photo and their system either accepts it or rejects it there and then.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 11:30 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

1st time Kavanagh digital camera and sent online with two weeks wait to say no good. Photo shop hard copies sent recorded and again two weeks wait to be told no good, third set photo shop done another set and sent them their and then and as I said when Mrs B got her new passport the photo showed the top she was wearing in the second rejected set. Even the photo shop couldn’t believe what happened and when she took her passport in he noticed straight away the second lot of photos which he had done. Was wondering how many times they do this to get another lot of payments from you because we can’t think of any other explanation due to them using the second rejected photos, or a training person let lose on their own.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 1:34 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Rules for digital photos....

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

This message was last edited by ads on 09/09/2019.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 1:54 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi All, many thanks for the info. Showing my complete ignorance; am I therefore right in thniking that I can get a couple of digital pics from a photo shop and then load them onto the passport renewal application form.thanks nic

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 3:55 PM by gjohnint Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Many people take a photo with their phone and upload directly onto the passport application site as is described in an earlier reply down below. The application site will accept or reject the photo instantly. A non techy friend of 80 has just done it this way.

Just thinking about your several rejections returned  by post. Ate you sure you are using the government uk ( gov.uk) site and not an agency pretending to issue passports on your behalf.

Regards

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 4:45 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

09 Sep 2019 7:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I renewed mine recently online. It was the most straight forward renewal I've ever made. As Kavanagh says, you upload your photo and their system either accepts it or rejects it there and then. Nicbax, do you not have a smart phone with digital camera?

Re: copycat/scam sites. I recently overheard a couple saying that the EHIC now costs £35. It does not. It is still free, so long as you order it directly from the government website and not some agency charging for nothing. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 7:13 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

No gjohnint the genuine passport office site, even the ones I sent recorded and tracked we were told no good, out of focus/ background blurry and something else, and these were the photo shop ones, not even a booth set.

Once we got the passport back never bothered to complain,government department waste of time, completely strange just to renew a passport.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 7:31 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Guys, Thanks once again for the most helpful info. Yes I have a three year old Samsung smart phone and assume it has a digital camera. I can take a couple of photos but I shall need to learn how to "upload" these onto my laptop and from there onto the passport application. I am struggling to join the 21st century. I am sure Google will show me how its done. Thanks again. nic

Like 0      
09 Sep 2019 9:29 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

How do you know roberto if the online passport system rejects your application their and then if yours went straight through? We got our rejection application two weeks later by email.

Like 1      
10 Sep 2019 1:54 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just re-read your earlier post Baz - my apologies, I thought you had sent hard copies by post only. Fair comment, my photo was accepted by the system straight away, so I assumed (my bad) that if it was unacceptable it would be rejected straight away. 

Just found this from moneysavingexpert: 

"Once uploaded, the system performs preliminary checks that ensure your photo meets (the required) criteria, so if there are any problems, most people will know straight away.

However, the photos will also go through additional checks, so you may be asked to re-submit at a different date if any problems arise."

Presumably in your case the photo was not immediately accepted by the system, and the additional checks found something not to their liking.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Sep 2019 10:04 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

No problem Roberto, the. very first application was done using the genuine passport web page, uploaded the photos and that was it, it wasn’t until two weeks later we got notice they had been rejected, so into a photo shop and had six hard copies done which I sent these of Royal Mail tracked and signed for, and again two weeks later rejected, back to the photo shop and even he couldn’t see what was wrong with the ones he took, another set taken and sent online, the new passport came within days, but the inside photo was of the second set they had rejected, talk about a complete balls up doesn’t come into it.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 10/09/2019.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2019 11:49 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

These detailed complaints need reporting back to the Govt.

At the bottom of the page on https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports there appears to be a link with the question “ is there anything wrong with this page” . If you click on that it gives you the option to identify the problems encountered to assist in improving the website. Maybe worth feeding this back and see what transpires?

Like 0      
11 Sep 2019 12:27 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Just another example of the Tory Government scapegoating the public.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2019 12:45 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Good to see that there is a monitoring and reporting mechanism in place, but it relies upon those who have complaints to consistently use such mechanism(s) to place their complaints on official record and in so doing minimise future instances with intent to improve the system.

Hopefully those who have complaints of this order will feedback the responses that they receive, which should act as a further form of transparency and accountability in the longer term.

This message was last edited by ads on 11/09/2019.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2019 1:34 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

In theory ads you are absolutely correct, but in reality taking the case of Baz, after all that grief and time wasting who can be bothered. Is he going to get any compensation or just a bit more incompetence? Perhaps they might flag up his file for the next application in 10 years time.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2019 2:32 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

To be honest I was hoping that anyone affected would report back their bad experience to gain a better system for the benefit of all, not necessarily just from a perspective of gaining compensation ( but I understand that some might consider their bad experience might warrant some compensation if it caused them extra expense).  

The only way we ever get improvements to a system is to report back and perhaps it could be argued that just bemoaning a system ( albeit warranted) does little to improve the failing in the longer term.

Again I suppose it comes down to whether you want improvements going forward,  not just for your own sake, but for others to be spared your bad experience too.

Anyway hope it gets resolved. :)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Am I a "squatter"? - 13 posts
A Real Indiana Jones - 0 posts
Leeds Bradford to Murcia Ryanair Winter Flights Cancelled - 1 posts
Changing to individual water accounts - 9 posts
Dance Teacher - 0 posts
Keeping Your Cash Safe - 10 posts
Residencia query - 3 posts
Change in Administator -AGM or EGM - 10 posts
What Spanish Banks should offer every UK mortgage holder ( 2 x 1) - 13 posts
I'm spanish, maybe moving to Tenerife (various questions) - 0 posts
Solicitors fees - real or imagined - 0 posts
plusvalia - 5 posts
Off plan purchase -warning - 69 posts
Dilemma - 15 posts
Layz Spa parts - 0 posts
Personal Injury Lawyers - 7 posts
Proxy votes AGM - 4 posts
Transferring pension to spain - 10 posts
Freeware Accounting Progam for a Small Club/Association - 1 posts
need to change uk address - 59 posts
IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x