Keeping Your Cash Safe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Aug 2019 4:48 PM by Meryt Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Does anyone have a really good way of keeping one's cash safe in the car whilst driving to and from the ferry port in Spain?  Perhaps we're worrying too much about being stopped by rogues who want to steal our cash!  Hopefully, they won't read this site if there are any replies....

Like 0      
31 Aug 2019 5:03 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Nowadays you hardy need any cash, you can buy half a larger with your swipe card. How much cash will you have and what for?no

Like 0      
31 Aug 2019 5:12 PM by Meryt Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

We'll be in Spain for about 5 months this coming winter and, because of the low pound, we're buying euros when it goes up (for whatever reason).  Goodness knows how low the pound could go as we move towards Brexit.  So, we'll be carrying hundreds of euros with us....

Like 0      
31 Aug 2019 5:51 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

I think with the amounts you are talking about you will be fine.  Just don't put it all in one place.  

This message was last edited by perrypower1 on 31/08/2019.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2019 7:00 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

What if mad Boris does a deal and the pound shoots up?

Like 0      
31 Aug 2019 10:56 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We use the ATM's when out, withdrawing on our Barclaycard. It is designed for overseas cash withdrawals with no fees or interest and commercial rate. If that doesn't float your boat, you could try putting it in the spare wheel well. Or, depending what car you have, pull the rear seats up and put it under there. If you are unlucky enough and you have the poker face nt to give your hiding place awy, these should be good.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2019 9:34 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

There are only certain limits you can go to. How about having a safe installed and bolted down in the boot. But if you get held up by masked armed robbers who take your car, the cash will go with it. But if that is the risk you are prepared to take for trying to save a few pence on forward currency buying so be it.

I do believe you can open bank accounts in the UK and certainly off shore in euros and dollars with debit card facilities.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2019 10:06 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Markfish.

Barclaycard doesn't charge any fees or interest and gives you the commercial rate when withdrawing cash? Must be the new Barclaycard Charity card. 

Either that or you're a very special customer and they waive the 2.99% foreign currency charge (I'm a Platinum card holder and I still have to pay that).

Like 0      
01 Sep 2019 10:42 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Mariedav, no real need for the sarcasm, maybe the offer expired and you took advantage of another one? Taken from the t&c's for my Platinum card, which i have used to make at least 20 cash withdrawals worldwide WITH NO FEES:

Promotional balance - This is made up of the following:
• Transactions with promotional terms, which we will tell you about before you make the transaction such as:
Non-sterling transaction fees will not be charged on transactions made on or before 31 August 

• purchases
• balance transfers
• other amounts
• Interest and fees on the above promotions

Like 0      
01 Sep 2019 11:11 AM by Meryt Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your replies....some good ideas...and a couple which made me laugh out loud.  We have decided not to panic...

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Residencia query - 3 posts
Change in Administator -AGM or EGM - 10 posts
What Spanish Banks should offer every UK mortgage holder ( 2 x 1) - 13 posts
I'm spanish, maybe moving to Tenerife (various questions) - 0 posts
Solicitors fees - real or imagined - 0 posts
plusvalia - 5 posts
Off plan purchase -warning - 69 posts
Dilemma - 15 posts
Layz Spa parts - 0 posts
Personal Injury Lawyers - 7 posts
Proxy votes AGM - 4 posts
Transferring pension to spain - 10 posts
Freeware Accounting Progam for a Small Club/Association - 1 posts
need to change uk address - 59 posts
IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x