IBI tax on property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2019 12:48 PM by emelia28 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

I bought a property in June and this week I had an IBI tax bill for 219 euros, presumably for what is remaining of the year. I read that the tax is payable every January so my question is, would this have already been paid by the ex owner in January of this year?

thanks

Emelia

This message was last edited by emelia28 on 10/08/2019.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2019 1:12 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I don't think it's due in January.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2019 1:14 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I suggest that you check with your solicitor/lawyer. Sometimes previous owners do not pay the tax and I believe if not paid, its now your problem. The tax is usually paid for the previous year from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, not for the current year.

This message was last edited by Jarvi on 10/08/2019.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2019 1:23 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Emelia

Perhaps you should start asking you questions at the local IBI tax office.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2019 1:48 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Emelia, please see attached link for explanation. It is local municpal tax payable mid year and usually paid by person owning property on Jan 5.

Saludos

https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2018/11/08/ibi-tax-explained/

Like 0      
10 Aug 2019 2:10 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

IBI bills come out in July to October for the current year. As you bought in June, the previous owners would be responsible for this year's IBI and your solicitor (or whoever acted for you) should have retained either the amount due for the year or a proportion of it for the time you own it (ie June to December). 

219 euros is a typical annual amount depending on the size and location of the property. 

Check with your solicitor to see if they did retain an amount from the sale.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 9:36 AM by emelia28 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone,

I know in theory asking at the local office is the correct way to go about it but I am not in Spain yet. Having had meningitis its put off my travel plans in the short tem.  I am assuming this muncipal tax is not the non-resident tax?

I am just confused with how many taxes I have to pay for this property and I have been busy trying to set up direct debits  in my spanish bank account from within the UK

thanks

Emelia

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 10:19 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

No, the IBI is equivalent to the council tax in many ways. Everyone pas the IBI whether resident or not.

The non-resident or imputed income tax is a tax on the benefit of owning a second home. This is only paid by non-residents as residents will be liable for normal income tax. That tax has to be paid by the end of the year and is split between the owners of the property, eg tax 180 euro and two owners on the deeds then each pays 90 euro.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 12:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mariedave.    NB those tax resident in spain pay the inputed tax on any second  property, of any description, anywhere in the world, unless one is paying tax on an income derived from that property.  

We have a property in Asia which produces no income,  and I have a lock up garage in spain.  We pay imputed tax on both, which is part of our annual Hacienda tax declaration.  

Example:   If one is resident in spain, has say a house in uk which is not let, then imputed tax must be paid on it in spain 

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 12:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The IBI, as explained, is your equivalent of council tax. It is normally payable by whoever owns the property on January 1st, for the entire calendar year. However, since most councils don't get around to issuing the bills until the second half of the year, this can cause problems whenever a property changes hands. The council does not split the bill - if there is an agreement between buyers and sellers to pay their pro rata part, it's up to them to arrange that themselves. When you say you have received the bill, presumably it is actually in the name of the previous owner. Theoretically, therefore, you can ignore this. However, the seller is unlikely to pay it (unless they had a direct debit set up). If left unpaid, the debt could stay attached to the property, which could cause you problems in the future. Your options therefore are to just pay it (it's not a huge amount in the scheme of things, and this will give you peace of mind); ignore it, and hope it never comes back to haunt you; or, your best bet imo, and hoping you still have a line of communication with your legal rep from the purchase, forward it on to them and ask their advice/opinion, and take it from there. Also, ask them to contact the council if they haven't already done so, to register you as the new owner and set up a direct debit to pay next year's tax. While you're at it, ask them if they can handle your non-resident tax returns, and if so how much they charge for doing so, and then check back here for threads on the subject to see if they are competitive compared to what other non-residents pay for the service (or for instructions on how to DIY).

Best of luck, and hope your health issues are behind you now.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 4:26 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Johnzx

Found this which appears quite an educative guide ( dated June 2019)

https://www.expertsforexpats.com/expat-tax/expat-tax-advice/tax-in-spain-for-expats/

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 5:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ads     Johnzx

Found this which appears quite an educative guide ( dated June 2019)

Thanks,,that´s a fairly simple guide but as far as I can see there is no mention of tax to be paid by residents, on all properties they own worldwide,  other than their primary family home

That also includes say a space in a comunial garage or a trastero, if they are not on the same escritura as one´s main home.

My example was :-   If one is tax resident in spain, and has say a house in uk which is not let, then imputed tax must be paid on that UK property, to the tax office in spain. I know, I pay a couple of such taxes. 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/08/2019.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 5:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

None of which is relevant to the OP, who clearly is non-resident.

Shall we discuss Brexit here next?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
11 Aug 2019 6:38 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Oh no, no more torture.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2019 8:56 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Robert.

Thanks for your comment.  

Of course I know you know that many people seeking help often do not know the subject very well so going beyond the confines of a thread might be useful to them, as it might too for others who are just browsing 

thanks again pal 

john 

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts
CostaluzLawyers fight against Banks very much ON! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x