Pet passports after No Deal Brexit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2019 12:30 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal pet passports become invalid to travel to UK from Europe and vice-versa. Here is some information travellers with pets may find useful. If you want to take a pet to UK or EU without the hassle you should do it before 31st October 2019.

This is from the Government website. www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

The UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme if it leaves without a deal.

Pet travel if the UK is an unlisted country

A current EU pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU.

You’ll need to take the following steps:

1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before it can travel. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination). Your vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.

2. Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.

3. The results of the blood test must show a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml.

4. You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.

5. The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate.

You might find that the blood test result is not successful despite your pet being up to date with its rabies vaccinations. If this happens you’ll need a repeat vaccination and another blood test taken at least 30 days after the repeat vaccination.

Find out more about rabies vaccination boosters and blood tests.

Dogs travelling from the UK to EU listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland and Malta) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (1 to 5 days) before arriving in one of those countries.

You will not be able to travel with your pet if you have not completed these steps.

Get a health certificate. More info on the web site.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 2:26 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Why was this not a major issue in the referendum campaign?

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 3:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thats an easy one, not one person knew then, or knows now, the actual outcome of leaving. 

Every time I go to Spain I see plenty of dogs coming through the airport, could well affect plenty, just the cost alone to get a vet to do this work if you still want to take your dog on holiday.

Like 2      
08 Aug 2019 4:04 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The system described on the web site is basically returning to the system as it was before pet passports were introduced. I did it once manyy years ago to avoid quarantine. It cost then in total about €300 in France to take my Labrador to Britain. 

Many people have enjoyed long stays in the winter in Spain bringing their dogs with them. That's likely to be expensive and difficult in future. 

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 5:03 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hello Micky I am a bit confused, how does any of this affect you? I believe you have said you have no intention of ever going to the UK again in your lifetime. Do you actually have a doggie or is it more of your scaremongering.

Like 2      
08 Aug 2019 6:09 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Angel

As the moderators closed the last thread, It's just an excuse to get the Brexit arguments going again. Some people have nothing better to do with their lives than speculate and keep driving forward project fear...

Like 1      
08 Aug 2019 6:23 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 8/8/2019 7:07:00 PM.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2019 7:02 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I wrote that it was some years ago that I paid that to take my dog back to Uk. 

My purpose in the thread is a valid attempt to advise on the coming restrictions on pet travel. Nothing more. Do you imagine if the UK leaves the EU without a deal everything is going to remain the same? People need to be warned of the coming realities. 

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 7:13 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

This thread is not my interpretation of post Brexit no deal rules but the UK governments. If you have an issue about it take it up with the minister responsible for MAFF.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 08/08/2019.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 7:34 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

It's definitely going to be a no deal ... according to the press so we will just have to wait a see what happens .

Like 1      
08 Aug 2019 7:48 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Please don’t encourage him.

Like 2      
08 Aug 2019 7:59 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The remainers have had 3 years to put a plan forward...that might convince people that voted to leave...but for some  reason or another  they haven't all the remainers keep on saying is stop BREXIT and we demand another vote with no valid reason behind the demands  that would   overturn democracy.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 08/08/2019.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2019 9:42 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The thread is about pet passports. The innovation the EU created has freed people with animals to travel throughout Europe without hassle. We Europeans are happy that the situation will continue. I'm sad for the many Brits for whom it will apparently not.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2019 11:23 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The UK is part of Europe...and after the 31st on every Map of the world that's ever been printed it will still be in Europe.if you are a Scot/ English/Welch  /Irish you can call yourself whatever you like  BUT YOU IS WHAT YOU IS .. so your pet will still hold a British pet passport with its country of origin in it just like it's owner has so I can't see any problems in the future.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 09/08/2019.

Like 2      
09 Aug 2019 7:48 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The passports Windy are an EU treaty arrangement signed off by all the member states. If one state leaves without a deal then the treaty no longer applies to said state making UK pet passports invalid.

This holds true for other agreements such as the EHIC and driving licences, S1 healthcare concession. So the EU reverts to a third nation-state with the same staus as for example the USA. The procedures listed in the web link I posted then apply.

Leaving the EU without a deal has negative consequences many the voters failed to understand but that's democracy as we are constantly told. It may be that after leaving bi-lateral treaties can be made. That is going to take time and nothing is guaranteed.

It's interesting to see that almost everyone involved in the process acknowledges leaving without a deal is a very bad idea. Yet it's still going to happen it seems on 31st October.

Like 1      
09 Aug 2019 7:57 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Here we go. The thread was supposed to be about pet passports - now EHIC, driving licences, S1 healthcare, trade treaties.........Round and round with the same arguments but NO FACTS until Nov 1st ....

Like 2      
09 Aug 2019 8:51 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Mickey..you are only guessing and posting rubbish that has no validity (just like all the other Remainers) ...The Remainers have had 3 years to come up with valid reasons and a Business plan to stay as part of the Union and haven't ..all they keep on doing is spreading scare tactics and repeating they want another vote and not let us forget paying a out of work Bum to shout STOP BREXIT in parliament Square every time a interview is taking place on TV .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 09/08/2019.

Like 1      
09 Aug 2019 8:56 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Misleading posts need correction. It is the realities I have posted if the UK leaves without a deal, not "scaremongering" or "project fear". Well documented in the media and government web sites if you take the trouble to look.

If you assume no-deal then you will not be able to take your pet to Europe after 31st October or return to the UK unless you start the documented arrangements now. It takes a minimum 3 months to complete the formalities.

Like 1      
09 Aug 2019 9:04 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

All speculation

Like 1      
09 Aug 2019 9:26 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

This is clearly a manipulated BREXIT thread. Can’t you just have the patience to wait until 31 October, we have heard all this ‘’if, maybe, end of the world’’ stuff for over 3 years.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts
CostaluzLawyers fight against Banks very much ON! - 4 posts
Can you purchase a used car and obtain insurance in Spain with a United States drivers license Without owning property? - 10 posts
What Power do the community Magament have - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x