need to change uk address

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Aug 2019 11:25 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Guys, very wise words. I think I shall settle for Monese.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 1:41 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello nicbax

Is it really worth all this hassle, why not just leave things as they are and get on with your life?

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 2:09 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Just a thought, does Monese allow banking without an address and if so is this a loophole to fraudulent activity, for instance abuse of the NHS which relies upon valid UK addresses and reporting to HMRC re place of residence?

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 2:20 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Oh dear ads, the NHS only require an address that exists, they don’t have to verify you live there, you could give 10 Downing Street for all they care.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 2:34 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Monese requires you to upload proof of identity and address before the account can be approved. The address can be anywhere in the world but it's identity that's crucial. Finger print recognition technology is used to open their app. The account can be in Stering or Euros. Globalism benefits. 

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 3:57 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Guys, thanks very much for your help. nic

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 9:30 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Mickeyfinn

Would declaration of a UK home address which is not your address then also be classed as “ Pecuniary advantage by deception”?

Looks as though for these Monese accounts that identity and address anywhere in the world is insufficient in terms of NHS abuse if there are no identity cross checks against HMRC details in place to ensure address validity ( eg proof of council tax, utility bill). Is this therefore a potential loophole Mickeyfinn that other UK Banks are trying to address by them requesting such details? 

This message was last edited by ads on 25/08/2019.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 8:00 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

ads - Why are you making links between a bank account and NHS entitlement? The two things are entirely separate. The OP just wants his/her UK bank to recognise a Spanish address. He/she hasn't mentioned healthcare maybe they are in Bupa or the like. It's not relevant and none of our business. Monese is a legitimate UK bank business offering a legal product that satisfies a niche market demand. 

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 11:01 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Mickeyfinn

You misunderstand. I am not making a link to the OP but asking the question of the Bank that you made reference to.

There is a link between address and banking and just as others on EOS query links to potential loopholes and the NHS, I am querying if this might be a loophole to be exploited which could compromise the NHS.

Some have criticised the lack of NHS controls, so this is relevant to the detail that you have presented in relation to change of address.

You made reference to “ it could be argued that failure to declare your status in Spain may constitute fraud based on the use of bank services to which you are not entitled. In law, it's known as Pecuniary Advantage by deception. Personally, I would not recommend that you do it.” so I was querying if you consider failure to provide a lawful address in the UK in this circumstance might also be construed as Pecuniary advantage by deception in the UK, associated with this Bank that you have recommended.

This message was last edited by ads on 26/08/2019.

This message was last edited by ads on 26/08/2019.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 12:54 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

ads: If anyone dishonestly obtains any goods or services to which you are not entitled that is fraud. Most people understand that perfectly. The onus is not on the company or service but an individual responsibility. Verification processes are designed to reduce fraud but if people take actions to circumvent that process it is their risk. Monese do that and verify both identity and personal detail supplied and make it easier for people with none standard lives to use banking services. Not for the first time I fail to understand your point.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 1:18 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

There appears no reason why Monese should not do all the regulatory compliance checks to ensure that if a person requests their banking service that these checks are sufficiently thorough, such that they not only check ID and declared residential status/ address, but that they also ask the question if they have a declared address in another country and if so request the necessary proof to substantiate a second address ( for example in the UK it would be proof of utility bill and council tax in their name).

For regulatory checks to be effective they should be sufficiently thorough to ensure full compliance. 

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 1:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nic.  re  my message to you yesterday :-  

I checked Halifax.  

Their  helpline is 24/7,  so I called them 

It took a few minutes for the operator to answer and then a minute for her to explain.

I explained as best I could your situation. 

Long standing customer, moved to Spain some years ago  without telling them. Used a UK address but now wants to change your address with Halifax to one in Spain.  

Reply:  No problem whatsoever.

You cannot do it with the App but you can do it on their Web page.  

Or you can drop them a letter to the branch where your account is held and they will change the address as you request.

Please let us know.   Were you able to complete the change of address online, or are you going to send a snail mail letter? 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/08/2019.

Like 1      
26 Aug 2019 7:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The problem is, John, that there is no facility to change your address on their website. If you had an account with them (as I do, and nicbax does) you could sign in and go to your account profile, and see for yourself that if you click on "change address", it will inform you that you can do this via their app, by phone (if you're registered for telephone banking), in writing or in a branch. Unfortunately, as nicbax has discovered, and I have no reason to dispute it, the app will not accept nicbax's change of address and simply gives a message asking to come in to the branch.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter how much you want to prove me wrong, or how much you want to believe that the good people at the Halifax call centre actually know what they're talking about, just repeating the same thing doesn't make it true! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 9:58 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

update. I phoned the Halifax using tow different numbers. Both guys told me I could only change address by using their app. I explained that I had already tried that but was being asked to call at my local branch. I said it was ridiculous and all I wanted to do was change my address. I said I was going to lodge a complaint. I was put on hold for a couple of minutes and then I was asked to try using the app again. This I did and my address was instantly changed. Sorted. nic

Like 0      
26 Aug 2019 10:00 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Perhaps the Halifax are tightening their regulatory controls by requesting that anyone wishing to change their address needs to demonstrate  they have all documentation in place to support their request and perhaps they are now liaising  with HMRC in that process? Just a thought!

Like 0      
27 Aug 2019 2:36 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Glad you finally got a result nicbax. As I said a few days ago, based on my own experience dealing with Halifax, the only way to deal with them is to complain as loud as you can and don't give up until you get what you want. If you can be bothered, you should write a very strongly worded complaint detailing the dates, times and length of phone calls made if you have the records, and even give them the link to this thread to show how much stress and inconvenience they caused over such a petty issue. Their first reply will just be a pathetic apology. Don't accept it, and demand compensation. You will get it. It may only be 25 quid or so, but it will feel good nevertheless to know you won!

laugh

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Aug 2019 8:10 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

If It were me I would just walk. Established banks are expensive dinosaurs.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2019 2:34 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto, I didnt keep a note of my phone calls. However the word "complain" seemed to do the trick and in the end I was just so pleased to have my address changed. Maintaining the halifax account is ideal for my circumstances and convenient to me. I didnt really want to start over with Monese or similar which are foreign to me and I am at that age when I dont like change and new fangled things. 

Like 0      
27 Aug 2019 2:36 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Micky, For me it is easier to stay with what I know rather than getting into new and modern banking systems.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2019 6:07 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Nicbax

Considering all the stories we hear about bank account difficulties here in Spain and the UK, I am of the opinion that customers services and front line staff are not aware or understand what the ‘’GEEKS’’ are up to in the technical department.

A lot of this has been brought about by Bin Laden and his mates and we are all left to suffer (including bank staff) what we and them do not understand. Of course you will sometimes get bank staff that will tell you anything to get rid of you.

If I ever have a problem with anything, I google search the companies managing directors name, email, or head office address and email or write to him/her direct by name. You can get some amazing results.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 60

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x