Drones and traffic fines

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Aug 2019 9:30 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As from today the traffic department in spain (DGT) will start issuing fines using information ‘seen’ by drones 

So take care when driving to comply with the law

Like 0      
01 Aug 2019 12:51 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

A bit like Eye in the Sky Helen Mirren, another money making scheme. Is drone data legal and can it be used in divorce cases?  Goodbye Dixon of Dock Green.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2019 1:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

According to what I have read it would seem this has been going on since April -  November 2018 time, could be why some have wondered how they got a speeding ticket when never seeing anyone with the familiar gun type, car, or pole cameras. It did say just only for traffic congestion / control and such like, well it would, wouldn't it.

Once the UK finds out these things bring in the money it will be launched over here, if not already.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2019 1:08 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

I always pay the fine and put my grandmother down as the driver Dolly Clacket she is 97.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2019 2:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Extract from 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.elmundo.es/motor/2019/07/31/5d41536dfc6c83db228b464f.html

Los  drones de DGT comienzan a multar desde el 1 de

La DGT ha anunciado que a partir de hoy, 1 de agosto, los drones comenzarán a multar a aquellos conductores que cometan infracciones. En concreto la DGT dice que "prioritariamente, los drones están destinados a la vigilancia del tráfico en aquellos tramos donde el riesgo de accidentabilidad es mayor; en las carreteras donde hay un mayor tránsito de usuarios vulnerables, en particular de ciclistas, motociclistas y peatones y a la supervisión de distracciones durante la conducción".

Like 0      
01 Aug 2019 3:58 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

A squadron of drones will take to the skies above Spain for the first time today to help police catch motorists who endanger other road users in one of the first projects of its kind in Europe.

As millions of Spaniards take to the roads at the start of the holiday season, 11 drones will be used to track drivers and send back live video film to police who can arrest offenders.

The drones will target those who are using their mobile phones while driving, not wearing seat belts, overtaking when they should not or putting motorcyclists, cyclists or pedestrians at risk.

Fines range from €100 to €500 and drivers can also lose points from their licence. Currently, the drones are not able to track speeding motorists.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2019 2:21 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Drones cannot and will not be used for speeding fines since, for the moment, their cameras  are unable to determine the speed at which the vehicle is driven.  Perhaps this will be solved in the future.  

Like 0      
02 Aug 2019 12:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just a thought

Whilst I accept drones may not be able to measure speed, as say a radar gun can, there is no reason why they cannot check the time taken for a vehicle to travel between two fixed points to calculate the speed.  That was the way police did it before radar guns.   

Like 0      
02 Aug 2019 1:12 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Absolutely, But I suppose they will have to get over wind, drone and operator movement to do this, but as technology moves faster then we can take a breath it will happen for sure.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2019 5:00 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

I dont see that there will be any difference when using a drone for detecting excess speed as using the equipment in a helicopter etc.. Both are affected by wind speed / other variables and I suspec in time the operator will have digital readouts of all the factors to enable a prosecution. I suppose the fact that at the moment they are not being used for such offences makes any debate irrelevant.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2019 5:27 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It’s interesting that financial resources are being invested in get the motorist who has money.

Whilst nothing seems to be invested in hand bag snatching or granny mugging.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2019 6:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Of course motorists are always a good / esay target in any country, as a person who has a car probably has money with which to pay fines and is easily ID´d .    A thief, even when ID´d  would often not have funds so little or no chance they  will pay up, and imprisonment costs the taxpayer more

However, it is not uncommon not to have any crimes reported when i do my four hours work each week with the National police.  So maybe resources are being spent to reduce / or event crime.  The number of crimes reported has declined steadily over the 22 years I have been working as a volunteer with the police, but of course that may only relate to where I work., so may not be a reflection generally. 

Like 2      
04 Aug 2019 7:38 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hello John

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

The reason reported crime has reduced is because it’s a waste of time reporting it.   

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 8/7/2019 12:20:00 AM.

Like 3      
05 Aug 2019 10:11 AM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Well done John and ignore my grumpy.  

Historically, the reason that police forces world wide invested so much resource in traffic management is because it was not unusual for fifty percent of premature deaths in a country to be directly related to road traffic incidents.  

I wonder what the current statistics show?

Like 0      
05 Aug 2019 10:13 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

OK   I get that.  So just like some of your comments tadd, a waste of time 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/08/2019.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2019 10:38 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Angeleyes - I object to your comment "We have all heard it before, freebie police adviser, ex chief constable, wife from Congo"...  I don't wish to be included in your "We" or "all" - and do not wish to be connected to this unpleasant abuse.

I've invariably found a lot of John's posts of value and generally more interesting than most.

Like 1      
05 Aug 2019 11:08 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hello Acer

My apologies, I cannot edit the post now. I admit John does post some useful information but goes on a bit about his life story.

Like 2      
05 Aug 2019 11:56 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Dear Angeleyes - thanks for yours.  I wouldn't argue with you too much, but I think it's best to take the view that we're all different - part of this being that I'm hopeful folk will make allowances for my quirks.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts
CostaluzLawyers fight against Banks very much ON! - 4 posts
Can you purchase a used car and obtain insurance in Spain with a United States drivers license Without owning property? - 10 posts
What Power do the community Magament have - 14 posts
Registered Club Bank Account in Spain - 0 posts
Community Charges - Finding the person who manages the accounts - 5 posts
Bank account commission in Spain to be capped at €3 a month - 14 posts
Volunteer assistants - 1 posts
COMMUNITY FALSE ROOFS IN APARTMENT BLOCKS - 2 posts
spanish car reregistered in germany. now need to deregister in spain. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x