need to change uk address

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2019 1:36 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, I am resident in spain but have used my daughters uk address for my uk bank account. I need to remove her address from my bank info and substitute my spanish address but am concerned as to whether I can retain my uk bank account without a uk address. Has anyone experienced difficulties with doing this. thanks nic.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 8:57 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

No problem with Lloyds.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 12:28 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Kavanagh, thanks for that. I went online with lloyds who asked for my country of residence. I entered "spain" and was told I am not eligeable. Any ideas please. thanks nic

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 12:45 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Not eligible for what?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 12:56 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Not eligible to open a bank account in the uk

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 1:09 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Yes quite correct, but your question was about changing address to Spain for a current UK bank account you have. Why are you now trying to open a new bank account with a non UK address?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 3:51 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe that as a result of an EU Directive no bank in the EU can refuse to open an account for any EU resident details here 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/bank-accounts-eu/indexamp_en.htm

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 3:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nic.

Since moving  to spain in 1987 I have changed the address on several existing Nationwide accounts and a visa account.    That has been to other addresses in uk and to several addresses in spain when I have moved.  I do not know if that applies to other U.K. banks

I know I was previously not allowed to open a new account, that was how I discovered the EU Directive.  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/08/2019.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 6:08 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Thanks Guys, sorry if my initial thread is misleading. I have a uk bank account linked to my daughters address. I have a spanish account linked to my spanish address. I went online with uk bank to change to another uk address but this was refused and told I must go to a branch. This I cant do. I am therefore thinking of opening a new bank account in uk which will allow me to link my spanish account to it without any uk address.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 6:34 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Like 0      
11 Aug 2019 9:46 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

whilst it is apparent that I know very little about the banking system I dont think that is an excuse for you to be rude.

Like 1      
11 Aug 2019 11:54 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

You will come across a lot of problems in UK if you try and open a new account with a Spanish address.

If you already have a UK account then there should not be a problem simply changing the address to a Spanish one

Nationwide allows you to open a UK account with a Spanish address but you have to go in person to do it.

I tried to open a different current account with NatWest and was told, by phone, no problem, you already have an account so no need to provide proof, just your passord. Nope, applied online and was told I couldn't do it as I was only allowed one account. Got a letter a couple of months later and they apologised they got it wrong and could apply again. I had to provide a copy of my passport countersigned by my Spanish bank plus my residencia, again countersigned by my Spanish bank along with an 8 page application form.

Couple of months later and I had another letter to say I had to turn up at a branch in person. I gave up.

However, your original post is simply asking if you can change from a UK address to a Spanish address and the answer is yes. Should be easy if you already have an account in UK and you should be able to do it online although they may ask you to use one of those machines which they send a code to to verify it is you.

Your last post is confusing as I think you just meant linking a Spanish address to a UK account, not linking your Spanish account to your UK account as you posted. 

Like 0      
12 Aug 2019 2:05 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

At the risk of sounding , err, rude....have you thought of asking your bank? Each bank probably has their own rules; some may accept a Spanish address for correspondence, some may try to shift your account to an offshore branch....If you're worried that they will promptly close your account, just ask the question anonymously. You haven't told us which bank you're with, but if you search their website you may well find the answer there.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Aug 2019 9:14 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

You can open an online bank account with Monese with a Spanish address. You need a smartphone and download the app. It works brilliantly. Full banking facilities in either Euros or Sterling guaranteed by FSA and ECB. I have used it now for some time and am impressed. It's the future of hassle-free banking. All you need to do is upload your identity documents when opening the account and confirm your Spanish address.

Like 1      
13 Aug 2019 11:27 AM by gjohnint Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Not sure if this is relevant but the address on our Spanish Bank account is in England. They post our statements, updated cards there so there should be no problem CHANGING your address on your Lloyds account to spanish address. I have several friends who a resident in spain who have UK bank accounts with Spanish address. I suggest you go online and try changing address instead of starting new account. Good luck

Like 0      
13 Aug 2019 3:33 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Simple answer  to your question nicbax is YES.

My UK bank is HSBC into which go my pensions. The ONLY address they have is my home in Spain to which they send monthly statements, chequebooks ( because I prefer to use this method of transferring money to Spanish bank) and debit cards. 

Like 0      
13 Aug 2019 6:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The problem is, we still don't know which bank nicbax is with. It might not be HSBC! HBOS, for example, will probably tell you your acount will have to move to Lloyds on the Isle of Man if you're now resident outside the UK (not necessarily a problem, but possibly an unnecessary inconvenience). It's quite possible (probable even) that most UK banks won't allow you to change your address online to one outside the UK, since their IT systems are probably not set up to accept a non-UK post code, for example. Hence my suggestion to simply contact the bank in question and ask.

Just out of curiosity, floella: I've never known anyone to transfer money to Spain by presenting a cheque drawn on a UK bank. (I didn't realise anyone still used cheques, for that matter!) Presumably this works for you, but surely it takes forever for the cheque to clear, since your Spanish bank must have to snail mail it to the UK for clearing, no doubt passing through various branches along the way (and back)? And at what cost in charges, I wonder? And at what exchange rate, I wonder? 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Aug 2019 7:14 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Guess you would call me an old fashioned gal Roberto but I prefer cheques and by the same token abhor online banking.

Although it takes 10/12 days for the cheque to get to my UK bank it is available to me, in all but “ cash “ purposes in 7 days. Taken as cash waiting time 30 days.

Obtain business rate less .01% and a charge of €16.00 irrespective of amount changed. Until recently it was €12.00 😩 However considering UK banks and building societies charged £25.00 17 years ago. Cannot complain.

Whether this is the best rate or even the best way of transferring funds, have no idea but it suits me perfectly.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 3:39 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, Thank you all so much for the valuable info. My uk bank is the Halifax and my spanish bank is Sabadell. My uk address with the Halifax is my daughters address but I must remove that address because it transpires that my daughter is being asked why she has not declared that I am resident at her home. I have never lived there and use it only for post.

I have another uk address that I can substitute so I downloaded the Halifax app which allows one to change an address. I entered new address but eventually my change of address was declined and in red printing I was told to go to a branch to change address.

I might try changing address again from my daughters to my spanish address and see what happens.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 4:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

QUOTE     Hi, I am resident in spain but have used my daughters uk address for my uk bank account. I need to remove her address from my bank info and substitute my spanish address but am concerned as to whether I can retain my uk bank account without a uk address. Has anyone experienced difficulties with doing this.

I just called Halifax 44 (0)113 242 1984. with your question. 

I did not know how you were trying to do it.   

They said you can change your address to one in Spain, but that you cannot do it on a banking app.  You need to go online. 

Hope that helps.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/08/2019.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 60

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x