need to change uk address

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Aug 2019 4:31 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi John, Many thanks as usual for such helpful info.I have already been online to change my address and was told I can only change by using halifax app. I shall ring the number you kindly supplied. When I phoned halifax last week I was again told to change using the app. Onward and upward. nic

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 6:55 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You may well be able to change your address to another UK address online or using the app, but I suspsect the problem arises when you try to change the address to Spain. Their system may not be able to cope with that, which is why they end up showing a message asking you to come into the branch.

I have had unbelievable problems with Halifax over the years - they just don't seem to able to cope with the concept of a customer living overseas. As I mentioned previously, if you speak/write to them explaining your situation, they may try to push your account over to their "international division", which in reality is Lloyds on the Isle of Man. This may very well not suit you. The only advice I can offer, based on my own extensive experience dealing with them, is complain as loud as you can and don't give up until you get what you want. Most times, I've ended up receiving compensation for all my trouble - which they could have saved themselves if they'd just used a bit of common sense in the first place.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 7:22 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto, Many thanks for your help. Thus far I have only tried to change my current uk address for another in the uk.I dread to think the reaction were I to substitute a uk address for a spanish one.

I simply want to maintain my current account into which three pensions are paid. The providers want to charge me commission to convert the pensions to euros and pay into my spanish account.I use a broker who does not charge commission and who gives top conversion rates.

I shall take your advice and complain; not much to loose. Thanks again.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 8:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

They said you can change your address to one in Spain, but that you cannot do it on a banking app.  You need to go online

Well it would seem them down the pub know better than Halifax helpline 

Nic.  Why don’t you do what I did for you. Call your bank and ask them 

Like 1      
23 Aug 2019 8:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well, I did also suggest in an earlier post that you just call them, anonymously if you prefer, to ask the question. But I recommend a stiff drink beforehand, and oodles of patience. And don't expect to be told the truth.

I'm not too sure what your comment means, John, but on this occasion I wasn't quoting my old mate Tony down the pub - I was referring to my own personal & painful experience of many years dealing both in writing and on the phone with Halifax's so-called helpline. In an ideal world, you could just make one quick phone call, ask a simple question & get a simple answer and believe it. Here in the real world, things aren't necessarily always so straight forward!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 9:00 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Robert.

So good to have a real expert on Halifax to correct what their amateur employees say 

Like 0      
23 Aug 2019 9:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

What a stupid thing to say. 

crying

Mark Twain

Like 2      
24 Aug 2019 8:18 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Most banks in Spain or France will not allow you to change your address, email or even phone number unless you personally go to the branch where your account is located and sign documents with of course proof of said new detail.

I know this from personal experience and was not told this by Tony in the pub ( whoever he is) or anyone else. It is normal ancient banking regulations. If you want to move into the twenty-first century use an online account that doesn't behave as if we all still used quill pens.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 8:55 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes, correct , exactly what I thought

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 3:34 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Mickyfinn, That makes a great deal of sense. I phoned Halifax and was told I must change address using their app. Explained it wouldnt let me so the guy said he would look into it but I should also try and change address online. Informed him that I had tried but was refered to the app. I asked whether I could give him my new address so he could make the alterations but he declined.

I think I shall look around for an online uk bank account and ditch Halifax.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 5:53 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I use Monese as I have written but there are others. Monese allows you to open an account with any address in the world. You simply have to upload your identity. They help you through the process. I can recommend their services.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 6:15 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Mickyfinn, Many thanks for that. All I need is a uk "bank" into which my three pensions  can be paid. The three providers will only pay to a uk bank. I need a visa or master debit card and facilities to transfer funds to other peoples accounts. Would you know whether Monese fits the bill. Thanks for your help. nic

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 7:03 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Monese is an international bank based in Uk. You can have your pensions paid into your account and transferred if you want to Spain. There is also Monzo. Check them both out. Monese issues a debit card and you can draw funds in Spain from any ATM free of charge. Both these banks are fully regulated by the FSA and operate on a smartphone only.

It's the future of banking.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 7:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nic.

You really seem to be unlucky, what with your pension providers and with Halifax 

i have a crown pension and OAP from U.K., both will happily pay into my Spanish account.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2019 7:23 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Mickyfinn, Thank you so much. I have looked at Monese and fits my bill perfectly.cheers nic

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 1:57 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

The penny has dropped. I can change my uk address by using the app which is downloaded to my mobile phone. However there is a note on the site saying that if moving abroad I must visit a local branch.

I do not have a uk mobile so I downloaded the app onto my spanish mob. Halifax system has picked up that the app is downloaded onto a spanish mob so therefore I have "moved abroad" and must visit a local branch.

I propose arguing that spanish Vodafone mob tarrif is cheaper than uk and why have a uk mob and spanish mob when I only use it for "whatsapp". I spend part of the year in uk and the remainder in spain.

Any other ideas would be most welcome.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 2:52 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I presume you've been looking at this page on their website: https://www.halifax.co.uk/helpcentre/manage-your-details/change-your-address/ ?

Although it would involve snail mail (and quill pens perhaps!), maybe your only option left is to write to the address shown with all the required details. A covering letter explaining that you have already moved abroad and therefore cannot come in to a branch, have tried their useless telephone helpline, and cannot affect the change of address via their app as instructed (presumably due to being already outside the UK/using a Spanish mobile number). Frustrating, I know, but based on my own experience with HBOS, not surprising. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 3:54 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto, yes thats the page. Were I to tell them that I have moved abroad I would be shooting myself in the foot. It specifically says that I must go to a local branch if I have moved abroad.I want to convince halifax that I have not moved abroad and I only downloaded the app onto my spanish mob because my uk mob broke some time ago and maintaining two mobs is a waste of money.

I shall phone halifax monday and if they will not change my address I shall register a complaint. From their web site it appears that they phone quickly and are anxious to resolve issues there and then. This is really a petty matter and will halifax bother to  argue.

I shall post the result of my phone conversation as it might help others in a similar situation.

Many thanks for your views. nic

Like 0      
25 Aug 2019 7:58 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Not nitpicking here or being a jobsworth but it could be argued that failure to declare your status in Spain may constitute fraud based on the use of bank services to which you are not entitled. In law, it's known as Pecuniary Advantage by deception. Personally, I would not recommend that you do it.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 25/08/2019.

Like 2      
25 Aug 2019 9:36 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think Micky has a point. If you are genuinely living in Spain permanently, you are best just saying so and explaining your actual circumstances as I suggested. Otherwise they will just keep telling you to go to a branch when you're back in the UK. You'll only shoot yourself in the foot if you're not honest.

Of course, this does kind of raise the question of tax residency status - although that's none of my business really ;-)

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IBI tax on property - 14 posts
Debt status certificate - 68 posts
Pet passports after No Deal Brexit - 25 posts
Motor homes - 3 posts
Mortgage Floor Clause Question - 9 posts
Water - 2 posts
Watching Football Training in Barcelona - 0 posts
Horizontal Property Law and Apartment Block Barbecues - 2 posts
Drones and traffic fines - 17 posts
Spanish Law/HPL - 5 posts
CBD Capsules - 6 posts
Guardamar or torrevieja - 3 posts
Banking - 6 posts
Buying Beef - 5 posts
Patronato De Recaudacion Provincial. - 3 posts
Losing my NIE/TIE - 5 posts
Bringing plants to Spain - 3 posts
inter active cadastral map of spain - 3 posts
Property Extensions and community charges - 9 posts
Won appeal court hearing! - 12 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Urbanization Cabo Romano, La Manga Del Mar Menor - 0 posts
Driving 'motos' in Spain - 4 posts
extra fees for rental properties - 56 posts
Utilities changeover - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 60

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x