Spain post Brexit for British residents.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2019 8:32 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Agree Roberto. However, the British government now have policies in place to treat EU citizens post-Brexit as foreigners based on separate nationality. It could have been dealt with in a different way. It stigmatises people some of whom have lived in the UK their entire lives. They are British in all but a passport. The Windrush generation was treated in a similar manner.  

It must be expected that European countries will follow suit and treat British residents the same way. They may not wish too but they will be compelled by the commission's reciprocal policies. It is not the bureaucracy that's just the physical implementation process. In reality, it is a political policy created by the right to treat human beings differently because of stupid nationality prejudice. Segregation if you like. It's just racism in a different disguise.

This is what Brexit has achieved. Exasperated a small Island mentality, a nationalist's narrow view on the world. In my view, the EU should be brave enough to ignore it but sadly that's just a dream.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 07/03/2019.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2019 1:35 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Mickyfinn, you summarisation is put well. 310,000 Brits each importing and spending about €10,000 per year in Spain, plus UK paying S1 healthcare (€3,500) per person per year for many. When I was in business I would class them as good customers and go out of my way to look after them. Unfortunately, politicians, civil servants and bureaucrats live in a fantasy world of their own believing good customers should be treated as tit for tat rubbing rags.  

Like 1      
07 Mar 2019 4:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Under the S1 system DWP currently pays a flat rate of £4,172.59 a year.  They also pay a flat rate for each qualified person’s dependants according to age:-  

For those under 19 years old it is  £585 p.a. ;  

Aged 20 to 64 £802;

Aged over 65 (who do not qualify in their own right) £1,100. 

The amounts are paid each year irrespective how much or little use is made of the service.

It maybe that £3,500 p.p. is the average, over the age scales, however, I have read that the Spanish health service say the amounts paid do not cover the actual cost. If true then not a good deal for Spain.

With EHIC treatment.  

When used, the Spanish health authority bill UK for the actual cost  involved so no loss to them, especially as they would treat urgent cases without charge if that were required.     Unfortunately the refunds must be sent to Madrid, from where they are distributed to the various health authorities.   I understand it is not done on a basis of treatments provided, thus the main tourist areas, which treat many more patients, are not compensated pro rata,  soinevitably loosing out.

Like 2      
07 Mar 2019 5:45 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

So when or if we leave the EU it will become pay or die for resident and tourist Brits.

This message was last edited by angeleyes1 on 07/03/2019.

This message was last edited by angeleyes1 on 07/03/2019.

This message was last edited by angeleyes1 on 08/03/2019.
This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/7/2019 8:34:00 PM.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2019 4:12 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

I was on a resort named hacienda requlme, we just visited a couple of times a year, luckily for us when we were there one time we had a letter in our post box to go to the post office, we were paying our standing order for gas and leccy by standing order, but the resort was changing suppliers, unknown to us, so we had to pay "8 euroes",  so I asked my bank why they didnt put it on my standing charge , that they carried out to take later, well it turned out if you were not on resort for this crafty 8 euro charge, you would not know about it, so many folks had thier metres taken away (I think 175 euroes, and the same to reinstall !) so when many folk turned up on holiday they had no metres, and then the stress of getting the horrible people to put them back !, how about that for a money maker ? ps the final thing that made me leave spain was the goverment wanted us to apply and pay for a licence to rent out our own apartment !, well, from the beginning the whole selling point from parador sales and others was "you can rent out easy when you are not there"

Like 0      
08 Mar 2019 5:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I must be having a senior afternoon surprise

Angeleyes: I see you've edited your post several times, but it still doesn't make much sense to me I'm afraid. When and if we leave the EU with a deal, nothing much will change probably. When or if we're stupid enough to leave with no deal, anyone (British included) who is legally resident in Spain will be treated as anyone else who is legally resident in Spain. As for tourists, if the UK is no longer signed up to the EHIC as a result of no deal, then they (British tourists) will have to carry insurance just like anyone else visiting from outside the EU (or like when Brits visit other countries outside the EU). Bit of a bummer, I agree, but then this whole business of the EU voting to leave the UK is rather incovenient, isn't it?

Stokey: I'm not sure if you intended to post on a different thread, since I can't quite work out what your comment has to do with Brexit, but either way, I can't really understand it anyway. How could your resort change your individual utility suppliers without your knowledge? Were the contracts in your name or not?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Mar 2019 5:46 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Sorry angeleyes1, where do you get that from? Have a look on the web for the law going through the House of Lords at the moment (already passed through the House of Commons) on the Reciprocal Health Agreement known as the Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill. This will allow the Secretary of State to :

• To fund and arrange healthcare outside the UK,
  • To give effect to healthcare agreements between the UK and other countries, territories or international organisations, such as the European Union (EU),
  • To make provision in relation to data processing, which is necessary to underpin these arrangements and agreements.

Let's not all start making things up and panicking about stuff that may not happen. 

Like 0      
08 Mar 2019 6:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Why confuse things with facts? That's not really in the spirit of Brexit now, is it?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Mar 2019 6:46 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Actually, I am greatly impressed by the Spanish governments responses to Brexit and towards UK citizens living in Spain. They have offered far more reassurance than the British government ever has.

As a result, I personally feel more confident I can live out my life in peace in the place I choose to be. This despite the consequences of Brexit.

Spain despite some problems is a great country. Sadly I cannot say the same for Britain. 

Like 2      
09 Mar 2019 7:35 AM by cuius Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Perhaps UK would have been a different place if they introduced some form of ID cards there many years ago. Although I went over the the useless bit of A4 green paper, still keep my old Residencia card for ID purposes - much more useful.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 8:16 AM by mucker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Great news :)

I'm currently swotting up on my Spanish so I can pass the tests to apply for Spanish nationality.

I literally can't wait to renounce my british nationality and throw my british passport in the bin.

Like the rest of Europe I am also crying out, "Good riddance to a **** country!"

This message was last edited by mucker on 09/03/2019.

Like 1      
09 Mar 2019 9:12 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I guess you know that one normally needs to have lived legally in spain for ten years before they can apply for nationality and the tests are to prove one has fully integrated into Spanish life.  

One of the questions I heard from a guy who took the test was,  ”What is the fine for urinating in the sea at benidorm?”   So not entirely straightforward.  I know a few people who have failed

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/03/2019.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 10:05 AM by mucker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

YES! I've lived here for 15 years and I'm married to a Spanish girl and we have a son.

Many places offer a lesson before the citizenship test with a pass or your money back deal because it is a generic test and they just teach you the answers.

I'm more worried about getting the Cervantes language certificate as that os the harder part (for me anyway).

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 10:09 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

There has been a debate in the European parliament about giving British residents in the EU honorary EU citizenship. There is now a European Citizens Initiative in progress. A method of changing EU Laws.

Petitioners will need to get a total of at least one million signatures that includes residents in at least seven EU nations. You can sign it here:

http://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/public/initiatives/open/details/2018/000003

EU citizenship guarantees freedom of movement in the EU and other rights.

Like 1      
09 Mar 2019 11:20 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello mucker

Can you explain why it is worth all the trouble and the benefits to become a Spanish national as opposed to a British expat with fully legal permanent residence?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 1:24 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Spanish nationality provides automatic EU citizenship. Free movvement and other benefit's. 

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 1:39 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I understand the free movement bit, but don’t you think that’s jumping the gun a little, BREXIT is not yet concluded and even if it’s a no deal you will just need your passport as you do now in the EU and many countries worldwide which are visa exempt for UK passport holders.These are the only 33 countries in the world that UK passport holders need a visa in advance for. 

What are these other benefits?

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 09/03/2019.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 2:05 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Freedom of movement across 27 countries, the ability to work and set up a business without any bureaucratic obstcles on your nationality status is quite an advantage.

With such freedoms you also have a right of residence, education, welfare and healthcare. The clue is the the words legal right. Not bilateral treaty concession which can be removed depending on political winds. Other benefits are voting rights and the right to be elected to political office. 

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 2:11 PM by mucker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Personally speaking I simply no longer wish to be British, ** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/9/2019 10:37:00 PM.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 2:24 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Mickyfinn you are grasping at straws and part of the scaremongering brigade. Seems to be plenty of Russians and Chinese doing quite well in Spain. Every  resident has the right to education, welfare and healthcare. You seem to have misunderstood my question.

‘’Can you explain why it is worth all the trouble and the benefits to become a Spanish national as opposed to a British expat with fully legal permanent residence?’’

I admit you are probably correct that you need to be a Spanish national to become Prime Minister. Maybe mucker has ambitions. Clearly his statement below demonstrates his diplomatic qualities.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 09/03/2019.

Like 2      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a rural property in the Malaga region - 22 posts
Campo delivery of water - 5 posts
Funds seized by La Caixa for alleged tax avoidance...next steps? - 3 posts
Are the days of Freeloaders limited in Spain? - 44 posts
Reassurance needed - 21 posts
Comfort in numbers. - 19 posts
Car Hire & Excess Insurance - 9 posts
Open gate for Ocean View/ Palmera buyers - 0 posts
Residencia Certificate encripted with Permanent Residence - 7 posts
Which Costa del Sol school? - 0 posts
Flight prices to Corvera - 3 posts
For sale yamaha RGXAZ electric guitar - 0 posts
property rental - 7 posts
Hello, a couple of retired brits. - 2 posts
Interest delays vs Brexit - 9 posts
Social Security Contributions - 3 posts
recent amendments to horizontal act regarding disabled and elderly - 3 posts
THINKING OF MOVING TO SPAIN, AT LONG LAST - 15 posts
Medical insurance cover in Spain - 8 posts
Pilates in Mojacar or near - 0 posts
Direct Debit for paying Spanish Income Tax to agencia tributaria - 4 posts
Garden and pool Maintenance cost - 4 posts
Bought nearly 3 years ago - still lots to learn! - 7 posts
Liberty Seguros problems - 9 posts
S1 healthcare for pensioners - default position. - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 69

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x