moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2017 3:46 PM by frejin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hello everyone. We are Fred and Jin. Call us crazy, but we are moving to spain. My wife hasn't retired yet but I have. In due course I will have a number of questions concerning long term rental and jobs etc. For now, though, if worst comes to worst and my wife can't a job, is possible to live on about 1000 euros a month without having to dip into my  savings? We would be very grateful for any info.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2017 4:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In order to save being criticised here,  I have sent you a PM.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2017 4:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I guess anything is possible, but how much of that €1000 are you thinking of allocating towards your rent? 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
04 Feb 2017 5:06 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

It will cost you around €400 pm for rent for a basic 2 bed apartment,the cost of living in Spain is approximately the same as the UK gas/elec/food .council tax booz and fags are about half what you would pay in the UK....unemployment is very high at around 27% but if you can speak fluent Spanish and as fit as a butcher's dog you could be in with a chance of a job good luck anyway.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 04/02/2017.

Like 2      
04 Feb 2017 6:50 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Fred

This has been asked and answered many times on this forum

Suggest you use the search function

Living on 1000€ per month yes of course it is possible depending upon your lifestyle 

So many questions need answering to really give you a better answer

Work is very difficult to get especially this time of year 

Do your own research come over for a month or 2 before you commit

Talk face to face with many who live here 

Like 1      
04 Feb 2017 8:11 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Fred and Jin. What is Jin’s profession? What is she fully qualified at? Does she speak fluent Spanish?

Fred what are you going to do all day every day?

Have you thought about filling in a monthly budget planner?

Do you intend to run a car?

What about your TV and Internet subscriptions?

What about your healthcare needs and costs?

How much air con in summer? How much heating in winter?

What level of lifestyle are you content with?

What happens if it's 1 £ to 1 euro or less?

This message was last edited by potblack on 04/02/2017.

Like 2      
04 Feb 2017 9:25 PM by frejin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Didn't expect so many replies in so short a time. Thanks to you all. As I said, I am retired and my health care needs are assured. Jinny will have to pay for hers. I wasn't expecting to do much as regards work, actually. I have  dog that needs walkies and maybe i'll have the odd game of golf. Also, I have a few talents; one of which is fixing computers and software problems. I also write, more as a hobby, really, but I was hoping I might get to sell one or two articles. So the internet is a must. We don't need television. We I do have a car but can do without it. Jin is going to try working. She has studied for and has attained all the relevant certificates as a healthcare support worker, including her NVQ level 3 (though it now goes under different name)... (QCF level 3)... because in the UK, an even higher level of expertise is demanded of support workers. Her idea is, that among the aging population of expats who no longer want to return to the UK for their final years, she could use her talents and training in looking after them if and when the need arises. Sadly she doesn't speak Spanish but that expectation shouldn't arise when caring for expats; though I am sure that we will learn the language and become proficient enough as time goes on. With that scenario in mind she is hopeful that something will come along and our fortunes will improve. She can also cook. If all else fails I can sell my body to science or to a house of ill repute. We have our eye on an apartment which costs 400 euros a month inclusive of 80 euros towards utilities.   

Like 0      
04 Feb 2017 10:59 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Care homes in spain are mainly in the private sector and not many job vacancies 

Not sure how many expats can afford private care 

A couple of neighbours commute back to uk to work in care homes 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

Suggest you get all qualifications officially translated before you get here 

If you are of retirement age you will be covered for health care with S1 which will also cover your wife as a beneficiary 

Have you looked at the tax system for living here and working. Suggest as a first port if call speak to uk inland revenue

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 12:19 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

What are you writing about?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 9:52 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

potblack

What are you writing about?

Not sure who you are referring to if it is me - I was simply trying to point out that if the OP is hoping his wife can get work in social health care as a support worker it may not be that easy as he thinks.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 10:18 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You have got to take your hat off to the original poster ,personally after owning a place in Spain for 10 years l think it would be impossible to pay rent of €400 pm/ pay for water/electric/gas/ibi/food for 2 adults......on a €1000 pm budget but then again what do I know ,if it work's out maybe you could dedicate that book you are going to write to living in Spain for 2 on €1000 pm you could have a block busters on your hands.

Like 1      
05 Feb 2017 10:18 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Think he was referring to Fred's "hobby" writing & hope to sell some articles. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 10:47 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I meet over the course of weeks quite a few people who live on either a little less or touch more of £1000 state pension  per month in the UK so how come 1000€ wont work in Spain?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 10:57 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Roberto

Thanks - I was not sure but that makes sense

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 11:01 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Think he was referring to Fred's "hobby" writing & hope to sell some articles.

Yes I was.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 1:02 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Baz1946 do the maths you have €1000 pm take away 400 for rent that leave's 600 pm to pay for gas/electric/water/ibi/food for two people ,i know it cant be done even if you do eat and live like a church mouse.

Like 1      
05 Feb 2017 1:21 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Perhaps it could be done, but you would be the poorest mouse in the mosque. No car, no air con, no heating, no TV or internet. You would have to shop at Lidl, not by the front door but round the back out of the bins.

Like 1      
05 Feb 2017 1:33 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

the OP says rent of 400€ per month inclusive of 80€ for bills

leaves 600€ per month to live on (600x12months / 52 weeks) gives approx 138€ per week for food etc.

yes you could survive but I would guess no golf and no extras (eating out, car, clothing, phone etc)

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 1:59 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Fred, when you are writing, what's the difference between a novel and a book?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 2:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Fred, when you are writing, what's the difference between a novel and a book?

All novels are books but not all books are novels.

A novel is a printed story about imaginary characters and events.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

removals and where to buy a decent 2nd hand car - 5 posts
Ownership Of Property And Marriage - 4 posts
deposit- yes or no - 5 posts
Dual nationality - 8 posts
harley16 - 1 posts
Lost money on Spanish off-plan property - 22 posts
A week away - 12 posts
Bank Tax or charges - 3 posts
Mortgage associated costs - 0 posts
Mortgage floor cap - 7 posts
Problem with an Insurance Claim - 4 posts
Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x