moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Feb 2017 2:25 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Thanks John. I suppose we are drifting a bit, but in libraries, do they put the bible in the fiction or non-fiction section?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 2:41 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

apparently the bible (and othe relgious scripts) is always in nonfiction - dont ask me why asthey are the biggest fictional books/scipts/novels of all timewink

https://www.quora.com/Do-libraries-put-the-Bible-in-fiction-or-non-fiction

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 3:10 PM by frejin Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

OK, so the general concensus on our moving to Spain has tended toward the negative. Maybe it is a romantic notion but we thought about it in terms of how the average spaniard lives, which was our intention to copy. The questions I now ask myself are; do they have better or equivalent pensions? do they live in inferior accomodation and eat inferior food? do they go without television or internet and don't have a car? Are they all as poor as Catholic Chuch Mice? We Brits do seem to have lost our understanding of what 'poverty' is, and have also misplaced the ability to recognize at what level of income real ''wealth' begins. My outgoings in the UK (in euros) are: Rent and C/C 550 euros, utilities 170 euros, internet 40 euros. Jin pays for the rest. Of course, I don't mind paying the bills, but it would be so much more pleasing to pay them under a sunnier sky. By the way, what is ibi? Is it the Commuity Charge?  

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 3:36 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

IBI is your council tax on the property, if you was renting you would not pay, and if there is a community charge on the property, if you was renting you won't pay that either, it's the owners job responsibility to pat the fees, your pay the utilities & rent. 

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 3:38 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Fred

Not negative just being realistic

The Spanish live no differently to any expats or anyone in the UK.

IBI is property tax which if you are renting shoudl not apply. If you are living in an urbanisation you may want to check if there is a communtiy charge or is it incldued in the rent you have been offered

We find cost of living approx 30% less than UK all in - others may disagree and I am sure they will but that is what we see

If you or your wife need or plan to work it will be hard to find work in any field

Health care may also be an issue - you say you are retired (and have health cover for yourslef)  but you don't say if you are a UK pensioner or an early reitree.

Stil far too many unkowns to give any specific advice but yes you could manage on 1000€ per month

Like 1      
05 Feb 2017 8:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"if worst comes to worst and my wife can't find a job, is it possible to live on about 1000 euros a month without having to dip into my savings?"

How much do you have in savings and how disastrous would it be if you did end up resorting to using them? (No need to answer!)

You have to start with the assumption that she won't find a job. Negative perhaps, but realistic and better than depending on it and then finding yourselves in schtuck. Her qualifications won't count for anything here, even if they're officially translated, and even if she becomes fluent in Spanish she will almost certainly never get a job in the Spanish health sector - so she'll be limited to caring for elderly expats, most of whom are probably skint themselves & can't pay much. There are some expat run care homes (probably mostly illegal) but at least in my neck of the woods they're mainly out in the sticks and only accesible if you drive & have your own car. 

"outgoings in the UK are: Rent and C/C 550 euros, utilities 170 euros, internet 40 euros. Jin pays for the rest"

It seems from this that you're thinking that by cutting your rent & utilities down to €400 (from a combined €720) you'll be able to survive on the savings alone - the "rest" that Jin currently pays for will have to come out of that €320. So as someone else suggested, try making a budget, & see if you can live on that in the UK: if you can, then you can also live on it in Spain. 

Don't know where you can get an apartment for €400 p/m inclusive, but is it near any facilities? Are you sure you'll be able to manage without a car? Because I doubt your €1000 a month will stretch to running one. 

Dog walks are free, but golf certainly isn't. Can't see you playing too much, while still feeding pooch and paying any vet bills etc. Please don't become one of those horrible people who abandon their pets in Spain because they can no longer afford to look after them. 

Healthcare - you say your needs are "assured" but Jin will have to pay. The question has already been asked (about whether you would qualify for free state healthcare etc.) but if you don't know the answer to this one, you need to do more research anyway. It's important.

Sorry if it all sounds negative, but many of us have seen far too many cases of people determined to "live the dream", no matter what sacrifices or compromises they have to make, only for it all to go pear shaped and then struggle to get back home.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

removals and where to buy a decent 2nd hand car - 5 posts
Ownership Of Property And Marriage - 4 posts
deposit- yes or no - 5 posts
Dual nationality - 8 posts
harley16 - 1 posts
Lost money on Spanish off-plan property - 22 posts
A week away - 12 posts
Bank Tax or charges - 3 posts
Mortgage associated costs - 0 posts
Mortgage floor cap - 7 posts
Problem with an Insurance Claim - 4 posts
Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x