deposit- yes or no

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2017 11:44 PM by coedcoch Star rating in north wales(for now). 16 posts Send private message

good evening,we have just had a few days in spain looking at properties,my query is , if we like a property do we have to pay a "holding deposit" to take the property off the market, some say yes some say no! it's a nightmare,who mdo you trust? 

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 8:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It is the practice in Spain that if you decide to make a purchase you pay 10% deposit.  That is not a holding deposit but a payment towards the purchase. 

Unless you have qualified something different in the Compraventa (sales agreement)  it is not returnable to the buyer if they change their mind.  If the seller changes their mind then they must repay the deposit plus a similar amount,  as compensation.

Like 1      
03 Feb 2017 8:44 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

It's one of those Spanish style rules which is open to interpretation.  Your average Spanish vendor will say it is the custom, but as soon as he/she is the purchaser, the deposit will become unnecessary.  

We Brits tend to take their rules far too seriously, but personally I wouldn't trust the system to part with my money.  The legal process is far quicker in Spain, mainly as they don't bother with half the checks you expect, so a deposit should be superfluous.  But if you feel you want to play along, pay the deposit to your solicitor, with clear written instructions not to part with it unless you tell them otherwise, to show good faith.

Like 1      
03 Feb 2017 9:03 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

acer

good answer and good advice

best advise NEVER hand over money to a seller or an estate agent no matter what they say - walk away they will soon come back

we have never given a deposit on a purchase and when asked we simply said no

edited to add this link for info

http://www.imslawyers.com/blog/pay-reservation-fee-deposit-spain/

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 03/02/2017.

Like 1      
04 Feb 2017 1:49 PM by coedcoch Star rating in north wales(for now). 16 posts Send private message

thanks for the advice,will ask agent what the deposit is for (he mentioned approx 500euros) and is it taken off purchase price

Like 0      
04 Feb 2017 5:17 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yes, it would be deducted from the purchase price (although I'd insist on that confirmed in writing anyway), but it sounds to me like the agent just wants to ensure that he gets €500 to cover his expenses if you change your mind and pull out. I would try to delay / avoid handing it over, suggest your lawyer does his checks etc. first and then go straight to completion. In the current market, it seems unlikely that you need to ensure the property is taken off the market anyway. And as Tadd says, if the agent or seller get shirty about it - walk away.

As for "who do you trust?" Simple: Nobody. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dual nationality - 8 posts
harley16 - 1 posts
Lost money on Spanish off-plan property - 22 posts
A week away - 12 posts
Bank Tax or charges - 3 posts
Mortgage associated costs - 0 posts
Mortgage floor cap - 7 posts
Problem with an Insurance Claim - 4 posts
Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x