Problem with an Insurance Claim

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jan 2017 9:53 PM by jeshuron Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Submitted a claim to my insurer almost a year ago amounting to approximately 1200 Euros. The insurer used a "loss assessor" and on his advice my claim was rejected. Lodged a complaint to the insurer's customer service department and this was also rejected. Then submitted a complaint to the Ombudsman Commission which wrote back and said that I should resort to the proceedings provided in Article 38 of the Insurance Contract. Under this Article I appoint an expert, at my cost, to provide yet another report which the insurer does not have to accept and who can then appoint yet another expert for which I would have to bear half the cost. The total cost of all these experts would probably amount to almost the amount of the claim and even if I was successful the costs would make it not worth pursuing. This all seems a very long winded process from which only the insurer and any experts benefit. Has anyone had a similar experience and if so what did you do?

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 11:05 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Like most financial disputes, where an agreement cannot be reached, you have the right to take the case to court and have a judge decide who is wrong and who is right. You can either do it yourself or use a lawyer. Only you can decide if it is worth your time and expense.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2017 7:24 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Sounds just like the UK. We had an assessor round to look at a claim and she said "yes that's fine, put this that and the other on the claim, get an expert to come in and determine the root cause'

So we did all that and now they are saying they will not pay out! Bloody great! They don't mind taking your money though!

Good luck, whatever path you choose.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2017 9:42 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

About 12 years ago I claimed 3,000 euros for water damage to a carpet. The assessor inspected and they `paid out. I guess I was lucky.

As for incurring more expense.   When I was a serving police officer my car was damaged when another car drive into it.  The driver was not insured. I spoke to a solicitor who was a friend. He said I had a great case but after costs I would end up loosing. He said had I not been a police officer he would have suggested I get a heavy friend  and go and recover the cost directly from the other driver ! 

So Jes unless you are very confident maybe it is better to write the loss off.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2017 10:55 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

It is a sad but true reflection on the insurance industry when a EOS member states ‘’if you get paid out consider yourself lucky’’.

Some insurance companies will sometimes try any excuse not to pay. They know they have more time and deeper pockets than their policyholders. Usually the bigger the claim the bigger the fight. Taking them to court is the ultimate action you can take, and by doing so they may just payout, but it is a big MAY. You have to decide if you think the insurance company is just giving you the run around or they have a valid reason not to pay your claim before you start legal proceedings.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x