exchanging driving licences

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2015 4:57 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, My Wife and I went to Traffico in Malaga on the 14th of May this year to exchange our uk licences for Spanish ones. Neither had at that time expired.

A phone call to the office yesterday revealed that they had not a clue as to when the licences would be ready.

We were given  receipts and the uk licences were returned to us.

My Wifes licence has now expired but she continues to drive. Mines also expires in a few weeks and I propose to continue driving.

We all know that the word "efficient" does not appear in the Spanish vocab but this seems to be taking far too long even by spanish standards.

I would very much appreciate hearing from members as to how long their licences took to come through. thanks

Like 0      
14 Aug 2015 5:25 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

You may find this has as much to do with DVLA "efficiency" as with Spain. They cannot issue a new licence without confirmation from them.

The chap who did ours (and it took under a month) told us the only ones taking a long time were waiting confirmation from DVLA. Try contacting them to see if they've received the application.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2015 5:28 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Ours took less than 2 weeks

Like 0      
14 Aug 2015 5:52 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

In Murcia firstly we had to go for an eye and reflex medical check that was issued with a photo for new driving licence. Cost 35€. Then had to take this paperwork with copies of all our personal data to traffico where after paying more euros we were issued with a receipt which was converted into a Spanish licence within 3 weeks and sent to our address in Spain.  

Our, still in date, UK licences were retained by the office and sent to Brit Embassy who presumably check for outstanding misdemeanours. It apparently is this checking that causes delays.

Unlike UK the Spanish authorities expect people to know the rules so if any part of what happened to us is missing from your experience suggest you contact a gestor because am sure there will be an expiry date on your receipts.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2015 8:31 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Can take anything from 3 weeks to 6 months- as they say with shoulders shrugged and eyes rolled-This is Spain!

Like 0      
15 Aug 2015 8:15 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nicbax, unlike in UK where one is still insured if they hold( or have held) a DL,so an expired DL comes within that, (unless the law on that has been changed).  In Spain unless one has a valid DL they are not insured.

Also,   one must have the valid DL  with you when driving,  not to do is an offence.

So the idea of driving when you do not have a valid DL is not sensible.  

No DL and no insurance may,  in addition to a large fine,   also mean disqualification.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/08/2015.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2015 5:10 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, Thank you all for the info. DVLA have received nothing from Trafico so I am thinking of making a complaint in the hope that this will get them to do something.

Try as I have I cant find an email address for Trafico on Google so I wonder whether any of you guys might have this please. Thanks nic

Like 0      
17 Aug 2015 5:46 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Here is a contact list for traffico headquarters

Like 1      
17 Aug 2015 5:57 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Team GB, Many thanks but try as I may I cant open the link. Would it be too much trouble to ask you for the email address please. Thanks nic.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2015 6:05 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

On 14th April I took my licence into my lawyer, paid the fees, and got an ófficial receipt´. I am now legal on Spanish roads but apparently nowhere else! I have just telephoned DVLA to find out what, if anything, has happened and the nice man there said that on 31st July they received an e-mail from Spain and they replied ímmediately´. So maybe I will get my new Spanish licence by Xmas! Any bets which will come first?

So now I am in the Spanish system and at some time they might extractatus digitatum (sorry for the spelling to our latin scholars) and I will get my licence, maybe.

This message was last edited by steone on 17/08/2015.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2015 6:08 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Nic 

It is a PDF, maybe you don't have the software loaded to open it.

For Malaga

Ángeles Campuzano Gutiérrez - mcampuzano@dgt.es AND Teresa Vega Mesa - mtvega@dgt.es 

Like 1      
17 Aug 2015 8:25 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Tean GB, Thank you very much; appreciated. nic

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Would you shop anyone? - 56 posts
sublet property - 1 posts
Complaints book/Hoja de reclamaciones - 8 posts
heating your home in the winter - 21 posts
van from Barcelona to North Wales - 0 posts
NEW! Banks condemned to repay on illegal mortgages - 20 posts
British Bobbies In Magaluf - 34 posts
Teenagers in Playa Flamenca - 0 posts
HOW TO TRANSFER PHOTOS FROM LAPTOP TO C.D.DISK - 1 posts
Shopping on Sunday!! - 8 posts
Wealth Tax - 7 posts
CAJAMAR BANK CLOSING PENSIONERS BANK ACCOUNT - 7 posts
Aeromax wireless internet - 3 posts
WANTED long term rental murcia or benidorm - 0 posts
Non EU Residencia renewal - 3 posts
Key Holder in Villamartin - 3 posts
Television - poor signal - 1 posts
Legal tip 1315. NEW! MANILVA COSTA S.A. - BANK ACTION WON IN FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAIXABANK S.A. FOR A BUYER AT JARDINES DE MANILVA - 16 posts
This could happen to your Building if it was built in the 1960's - 6 posts
cheap "pay as go" sim card - 6 posts
long term rent with 2 dogs!! - 8 posts
Top weekend getaways in Spain - 0 posts
HIdralia - 7 posts
DVLA - 28 posts
Non Residents Tax Question - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x