DVLA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2015 10:26 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All,

Anybody recently gone over to Spain and had to sort out the code with DVLA? I heard it is only valid for 72 hours prior to flight and also a bit more? Any advice would be much appreciated. yes

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 10:43 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Candyfloss As I understand it DVLA have extended the time limit for use of the code from 72 hours to 21 days, which is much more sensible. As to whether the Spanish hire companies will ask for it I have no idea. We have never been asked for the counterpart (paper copy) anywhere at any time in all the years we have had the card. That seems to be all they wanted. Maybe someone will know if the Spanish are asking for the code.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 11:33 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Thanks GB45,

We've always used centauro car hire and book cars online with all our details on there. I've always used my paper licence as never got round to getting a card until last year when handbag stolen at the market with paper licence passport etc. in it. Never taken my bag to market before, typical, my own fault, took my eye off the ball for split second! I'll get the code just in case, would be a pain if they insisted on it.

Thanks again smiley

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 11:39 PM by chesneyville Star rating. 83 posts Send private message

Downloaded code from dvla website night before flew to murcia san javier, all car hire company wanted were usual plastic photo licence, passport & credit card. Regards,

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 11:41 PM by Spanishsteve Star rating in Surrey, Eastbourne &.... 81 posts Send private message

I flew into San Javier a couple of days after the new rules came in. I got the code from dvla via the web and had a car booked with Solmar, I was not asked for the code etc.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 12:11 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Thanks everyone for all your repliesyes

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 12:26 AM by beccaboo Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

We arrived on the 30th, booked with record - I handed her the DVLA codeds and she just gave me them back and shrugged her shoulders!! lol

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 8:12 AM by SheHen Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Same here. Went to the trouble of downloading the code and taking hard copies with me and they didnt want to know! I am wondering if they prefer to chsrge us the additional admin fee without giving us the option of producing the paperwork.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 12:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Whilst the law might say one thing, thinking that the average person employed by a car rental company might understand it,  is expecting I think too much.   If you can rent the car then I guess why worry.

I expect that in time what happens may catch up with what is supposed to happen !

Staff at pay  desks generally and at similar places  often accept things as proof of ID which would be accpeted by say the police, a court, a notary etc.,  but again if it works why worry.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 4:41 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The downside of these rental codes is that if you don't get them, you could get to Spain and the companies have begun to check them, very doubtful you would be told by, or heard about the changes from Spain beforehand, similar to the mobile boarding passe's, have them on your phone and get to the gate only to find your phone has lost them, or battery flat and so on.

Many times changes don't seem for the better.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2015 9:53 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Might as well get one, just to be on the safe side, if they ask for it I'll have it. Always did the full full petrol, but now Centauro is charging an extra 20neuros for full full, so all changing around. 

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 1:58 PM by clg1972 Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Hired a car from Avis Malaga in July, printed the code off and took with me. They didnt even ask for it.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 12:04 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

They seem to be only interested in 600 euros deposit for having your own insurance rather than the DVLA, but as you say, if I don't, they will bound to ask for it angry

Like 1      
06 Aug 2015 9:28 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

They seem to be only interested in 600 euros deposit for having your own insurance rather than the DVLA, but as you say, if I don't, they will bound to ask for it

Yes you are correct, and as I said knowing how Spain works would we be told if they decided overnight to start asking for this paperwork without pre- informing  car renters.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 10:42 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes you are correct, and as I said knowing how Spain works would we be told if they decided overnight to start asking for this paperwork without pre- informing  car renters.

I preface this by saying I am not an expert on this so will be grateful of any information by those who may be..

From looking on the internet, it would seem it has nothing to do with Spain.    It is because DVLA no longer show convictions on one’s ‘paper part, of your  DL and, as that information may be required when holders of a UK driving licence rent a vehicle, anywhere in the world, including in UK.  

DVLA have provided a means whereby a rental company, may access that info if they choose to do so.

I assume if DVLA did not provide that service, one might be denied the ability to rent a vehicle.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/08/2015.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/08/2015.

Like 1      
06 Aug 2015 3:20 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Got nothing at all to do with being any kind of expert on this because if someone at Spains car rental system suddenly looked a bit harder and, lets say wanted a few more bob for someone renting that has a conviction or two they could use this as a money earner.

Also how long before our DVLA start to include convictions on the plastic, who can say that wont happen.

I still have a paper one and to date and perhaps maybe a hundred more rentals no car company has ever taken my license out of its holder.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 3:52 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Wow, all the conspiracty theories. As johnzx says, this is only a British thing and I know of no other country that has this stupid system. I'm sure the companies won't want to lose the hire as, if they only accept the DVLA unique system, the customer could just move to someone else to hire their car who aren't so choosy. With renters of all nationalities coming into Spain, not just Brits, I can see why they won't want to start phoning UK to check on things.

They may be interested in taking 600 euros off your card but, then again, so are the UK hire companies when you don't take out their insurance. £400 at Hertz in October last year and just a little less at Enterprise in April this year. Can't say what the policy is in UK as I have a Spanish licence.

In this case, it's more that UK should get its act together instead of treating the motorist as a cash cow. Put that with the double amount of road tax they now get for a month if you sell a car and it all goes towards the kerching for the Exchequer.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 3:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well,  I did say I would be grateful for any info from those who maybe experts.   Although I must confess,  I am confused by the last post, `'money earners" et al.

The DVLA changed their system and as a result introduced an M.O. whereby a rental company can check whether a hirer has any convictions. I suspect though, even without checking,  that included in the small print which a person hiring vehicle signs, there is a line to effect that the  insurance will be invalid if convictions which should have been disclosed were not.  Thus, such a person would be driving without insurance.  I don’t think any company, for whatever ‘consideration’  would condone that as they could well be the losers.

I just checked my Spanish plastic DL and I do not see anywhere that convictions could be recorded on it. That said, I do not have any convictions and in fact have had bonus points added for being a careful driver.    In Spain, a new driver starts with 10 points and loses some if convicted.  If they lose them all they are disqualified.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2015 9:49 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Where are these 10 points? Are they recorded and shown on the plastic Spanish license for to be seen? If so and you lose 3 points which can be seen ins't that proof enough of a driving conviction.

Just checked my last Spanish rental car paperwork and nowhere does it say anything about not disclosing convictions which would invalidate your insurance, and in the UK if you rent or give a rental car to a person then find out later they haven't disclosed everything you cannot invalidate the insurance, I don't know if these same laws are in Spain.

No one can say for sure what, if anything, will change because yes it is a very stupid English thing which the UK seem to be very good at, if you lose your current MOT DVLA will tell you pay a garage to get another one, what they wont tell you though is you don't need the MOT paper so you don't need to replace it and waste the money.

Chances are you wont ever need this stupid number, but surely it would spoil a holiday if Spain did suddenly ask for it

Concerning the road tax the law of losing money on road tax has always been the same, so no change with that one.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2015 10:26 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Concerning the road tax the law of losing money on road tax has always been the same, so no change with that one.

No it hasn't. If you bought a car with a valid road tax the tax remained with the vehicle until it ran out. Now, the tax expires with the owner and the owner has to claim the remaining tax back but not for the month the car is bought. The new owner has to tax it from day 1 but has to be from the first of the month.

This little scam is worth millions to the government with two people paying a full months road tax on the same car.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non Residents Tax Question - 7 posts
Air lock in hot water pipe - 4 posts
Loan for a new property - 9 posts
urbanización Camposol de Mazarrón - 51 posts
Ideas for towns to stay in within 45 mins of Valencia and info on Valencia itself... - 7 posts
Hi Everyone - Looking To Retire - 40 posts
Is there anyone really willing to relocate to Spain soon? - 1 posts
Valencia SIP Cards - 2 posts
Looking for a lawyer near Alora - 0 posts
Proof of entitlement - 17 posts
use of membership number for discount on ferry travel - 1 posts
Car hire - 4 posts
Techie question - Fibre/Cat5/TV - 2 posts
Folding bike for sale. - 0 posts
Post Replies not reflecting despite having received a reply on Email from Forum User - 2 posts
3 months rental - 15 posts
miss sold insurance - 30 posts
Any Info on living in the Canals area - 2 posts
Lawyers in Alzira - 0 posts
Equity Release - 12 posts
Alicante Airport - 0 posts
CGT - 13 posts
Plumber/electriction for holiday let - 0 posts
marbella plumbers - 0 posts
Website set up for off plan deposits? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x