Wealth Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Aug 2015 6:18 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have an interesting question and would like to hear the opinions of the experts on here.

If you are a non resident and own a property in Spain you have to pay ´wealth tax´ or what I believe is actually known as 2nd property tax. The question is if a non resident who does not own any property in his own country but owns a property in Spain does he have to pay ´wealth tax´?

Answers in a brown envelope please

Like 0      
09 Aug 2015 8:35 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I think I've read on here that the thinking is that if you aren't a resident then your residence must be in some other country. They don't seem to be interested in whether you own that residence or rent it. Or whether you sleep on the beach. It is your residence, nonetheless, and therefore the Spanish property is your second home. Ha ha ha.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 12:01 AM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

The wealth tax does not apply unless your property is over €700.000,00 so is of no concern to most

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 8:43 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Steone:   The question is if a non resident who does not own any property in his own country but owns a property in Spain does he have to pay ´wealth tax´?

I think may be you are confusing Patrimonial Tax (wealth tax) with imputed tax, the so called ‘second home tax’.

As stated the patrimonio tax does not affect the average owner, but if you own a property or properties in Spain when you are not resident in Spain then you must pay the tax on each property you own.

For interest:  My son is non-resident, he has 2 apartments and a separate parking space in a garage.  He pays tax on all three properties.

For interest.  

Residents in Spain pay the tax, in their annual tax return, on all properties, other than their main home, where ever they are in Spain or the world.  Thus if as a Resident, one owns say one property, their main home,  and a store room and parking space, unless they are included in the same Escritura, they pay tax on the store room and the parking space.  

In addition to my home, I have a lock up garage nearby,  I pay the tax on that.   My wife, resident in Spain, owns a house in Philippines she pays imputed tax on that house ( to Hacienda) here in Spain.

More 'light reading' here:-   http://www.lawbird.com/services/fiscal_representation_faq

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 12:51 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If you are non tax resident in Spain but owns a property here, you still need to pay taxes on this, despite you actually make no financial benefit of it as  Tax regulations understand you receive a benefit.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 3:32 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

@maria. Very approximately, how is the tax calculated? Thank you.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 3:59 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Guy

I understand you are asking about the Imputed Tax (2nd home tax) on a property not  (officially)  producing any income, owned by a non-resident.    If so:- 

It is 1.1% (or if not revalued in past 10 years 2%) of the catastral valor, (as shown on the IBI demand).  So say that is amount 'A'

thus:-     A   X   1.1%  x    24.75%.= tax due

It must be paid between !st January and 31st December , for the prevous year,  So this year for property owned in 2014.

The details are available. In English,  at:-

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT.internet/en_gb/GF00/informacion.shtml

I understand you are asking about the Imputed Tax (2nd home tax) which is a property not(officially)  producing any income.  If so:- 

Just for info.  

With regard to a resident with a property outside Spain, it is 50% of the price paid, no matter how long ago it was purchased ,     x 1.1%   x   24.75% = tax due.      And as I said, that is declared as part of one’s annual tax declaration made in May/June.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/08/2015.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2015 5:15 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Thanks, John!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAJAMAR BANK CLOSING PENSIONERS BANK ACCOUNT - 7 posts
Aeromax wireless internet - 3 posts
WANTED long term rental murcia or benidorm - 0 posts
Non EU Residencia renewal - 3 posts
Key Holder in Villamartin - 3 posts
Television - poor signal - 1 posts
Legal tip 1315. NEW! MANILVA COSTA S.A. - BANK ACTION WON IN FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAIXABANK S.A. FOR A BUYER AT JARDINES DE MANILVA - 16 posts
This could happen to your Building if it was built in the 1960's - 6 posts
cheap "pay as go" sim card - 6 posts
long term rent with 2 dogs!! - 8 posts
Top weekend getaways in Spain - 0 posts
HIdralia - 7 posts
DVLA - 28 posts
Non Residents Tax Question - 7 posts
Air lock in hot water pipe - 4 posts
Loan for a new property - 9 posts
urbanización Camposol de Mazarrón - 51 posts
Ideas for towns to stay in within 45 mins of Valencia and info on Valencia itself... - 7 posts
Hi Everyone - Looking To Retire - 40 posts
Is there anyone really willing to relocate to Spain soon? - 1 posts
Valencia SIP Cards - 2 posts
Looking for a lawyer near Alora - 0 posts
Proof of entitlement - 17 posts
use of membership number for discount on ferry travel - 1 posts
Car hire - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x