Clarification of the Horizontal Law of Property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2019 3:11 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Is this thread locked?

Like 0      
03 Mar 2019 7:54 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

I stand corrected Lobin thanks for update was going to bring this up at  our AGM in 12 days stand by for fisty cuffs

Like 0      
03 Mar 2019 6:51 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Yes, Ads, the changes to the Horizontal Property Law deal with holiday rentals (known as touristic rentals) in that communities may, by the vote of 3/5 of the owners, limit those rentals or subject them to some conditions like for example making the owners pay 20% more to community expenses.  Those changes were already in the DL approved by the Government in December 2018 but rejected by the Parliament.    Now they are in another Royal Decree approved the 1st of March.

Like 1      
03 Mar 2019 2:29 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

According to the Spanish Property Insight article it appeared that the references to Horizontal law were included in significant changes effective from 4th March 2019 following Royal Decree on 1st March 2019....

Like 0      
03 Mar 2019 11:46 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

The problems of minority government.

Government introduces changes to HPA.

Parliament later rejects it. ☹️

Like 0      
03 Mar 2019 10:18 AM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

The law below was  not passed in the  Madrid Goverment Pleno on the 24 January 2019, hence suspended until put throiugh again after Elections in April, so no channge as yet.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2019 10:00 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Re further clarification....I noticed this in a recent article from Spanish Property Insight titled “ new rental regulations rushed into law need to be taken seriously by landlords”  

• Holiday lettings: Spain’s Horizontal Act is amended allowing Community of Owners to vote by a simple majority of 3/5 to ban outright holiday rentals within a community. ...... this step was necessary, as the Horizontal Property Act at the time required unanimity to ban them, which logically was never going to happen because landlords would vote against it because of their vested interest. This measure has no retroactive effects.
  • Holiday lettings: Spain’s Horizontal Act is amended allowing Community of Owners to increase the communal quota assigned to a landlord (capped at 20%) of the overall community budget. In plain English, communities of owners may now vote to increase the community quota of a property owner who uses his property/ies as holiday lettings. This agreement will have no retroactive effects.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2019 9:58 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Here is a link to the updated Horizontal Property Law in Spanish

https://www.comunidades.com/legislacion/comunidades/ley-de-propiedad-horizontal/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2019 9:51 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Has anybody got a copy of the Horizontal Property Act please in Spanish?

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 6:07 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

Hi Decordiva,

I noticed your comment 

'Like many communities here in Spain, over 60% or Owners are non resident which means the President holds more proxy votes than the Owners who attend the AGM. This means the current President is able to put through issues which resident Owners do not agree with'

Non-resident owners, or any owner who cannot attend AGM/EGM can give their proxy vote to any owner, it doesn't automatically go to the president.  Indeed the president can't vote on behalf of anyone unless he has their signed proxy.  So if there are a number of owners who have a particular view on any matter it is down to communication between them and owners making a considered decision about who they want to vote on their behalf.

I believe you can ask to see the proxy votes if there is any concern about them being used incorrectly. Our first president (guess what, that was the developer) sent out the first proxy vote forms which gave the impression that the only option was to appoint the president as proxy, which is rubbish of course.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 4:06 PM by decordiva Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

It is now called

The Los Altos de Marbella Blogspot, you should find it!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 3:03 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Decordiva

I googled it and found the site but this the answer it gave me.Hope you help restore the Blog.

"Blog has been removed

Sorry, the blog at losaltosdemarbella.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs.

Did you expect to see your blog here? See: 'I can't find my blog on the Web, where is it?"

Thanks

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 2:46 PM by decordiva Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Nigel

Yes it said I was not allowed to post links to this forum, but if you google the blog it is The Los Altos de Marbella Blogspot it should come up eventually, it is new though, so not easily found yet.

We had some very interesting points made by a lawyer that was commissioned by one of our Owners regarding applying the Law of Horizontal Property to pueblos that are not technically communually shared buildings.

Let me know how you get on and if you can find us!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 2:09 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi  Decordiva

It says your Blog spot has been removed,whatever that means.Please re-activate for us

Many Thanks

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 12:03 PM by decordiva Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

When I originally posted this question to gain some clarification as to the Horizontal Law of Property we have been investigating how this applies to our own Pueblo.   We are currently publishing our findings on our new Blog and also on our facebook page.

I thought it would be a good idea to share the information we have found with you as I know this has been affecting some of you as well.

If you wish to read our  latest findings we are publishing them on our blog.

The Los Altos de Marbella Blogspot

Like 0      
17 Nov 2012 11:34 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Community of owners has just authority and jurisdiction on commun elements of the development. 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Nov 2012 11:30 AM by actcnm Star rating in villamartin . 17 posts Send private message

Hi am I right or wrong in interpreting the law by saying that the community is responsible for ensuring that the houses are kept in good condition not by  the community doing the work but by ensuring that the owners keep their own property in good condition and only if they dont then a company is hired to do the work on that house and the cost put on the individual owners fees.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2012 11:37 AM by decordiva Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

Thank you for your reply however it offers no clarification at all to my questions.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 10:52 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Hello Decordiva and all:

According to  the Horizontal Property Act, since this Law came into force, all communities, regarding of the date of its constitution are governed by the rules of this Act. They actually had a couple of years to adapt any internal rules/ estatutes to the regulations passed in 1960.

I do hope this clarifies!

Maria

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 08/11/2012.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Nov 2012 11:59 AM by Decordiva Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Again

Thank you for responding, it is most helpful.  It appears my community is obliged to undertake some form of responsibility for the maintenance of our private properties.  As you rightly stated it is a debatable point of Community Law and I would welcome any further advice to help me understand the implications which we are facing.  The current situation is our Board has recruited an assessor to inspect all the properties in our pueblo to idenitfy where maintenance work is necessary.

Our Board has advised this matter will be agendered and voted upon at our next AGM in April.  Like many communities here in Spain, over 60% or Owners are non resident which means the President holds more proxy votes than the Owners who attend the AGM.  This means the current President is able to put through issues which resident Owners do not agree with.

I would welcome any advice on the following questions,

Is our Board legally required to let the Owners have full detailed information of both the Terms of Reference and the outcome of the assessors report with their findings together with the cost implications?

Regarding the LPH10.1 has anyone defined what constitutes "adequate maintenance to meet due structural conditions in regard to water tightness, living conditions, access and security".

My understanding of "structural" would include the foundations, pillars, beams, load bearing walls and roof.  The rest of the construction i,e infill brickwork, exterior rendering of walls, exterior painting of properties and even the application of cosmetic roof tiles are not structural but comprise the superficial fabric of the buildings.

How does "water tightness, living conditions, access and security" apply and relate to a pueblo of private independent townhouses and villas?  Would it include leaking window frames, loose roof tiles, security rejas/grills, door locks, etc?

I am sure I cannot be the only person who is confused about the application of this Law.  But when our Board tell me I only own the interior area of my property and they own and are responsible for all the exterior surfaces/areas I cannot believe this is what the LPH10.1 can possibly be interpreted to mean.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

van space - 3 posts
Bankia bail out (Mortgages) - 4 posts
INDIAN MEAL IN LOS MONTESIMOS???????? - 18 posts
Card Craft shops - 2 posts
Bifocals -v- Varifocals - 6 posts
November 14th General Strike - flight cancellations? - 17 posts
Electricity Charges - 0 posts
picture postcards - 0 posts
New to site. - 39 posts
Declaring cost of works to reduce tax liability - 0 posts
Spain - 8 Years Hence ?????? - 9 posts
Freesat changes - 2 posts
What grows in Spain? - 11 posts
Electricity meter - 8 posts
How to contact English Speaking Staff at Iberdrola - 1 posts
PARKING IN SEVILLE OVER CHRISTMAS - 2 posts
Laundry - 0 posts
flights - 2 posts
Television - 0 posts
Furniture pack - 0 posts
Cancelled SIP cards (Healthcare Access) - 0 posts
Uci bank - 8 posts
Empadron, non owner, living rent fee - 1 posts
Dickmanns Car hire... Alicante airport - 13 posts
Cash withdrawals in Santander Branch - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x