November 14th General Strike - flight cancellations?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Oct 2012 8:26 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

The general strike is on November 14th - does anyone know if flights are likely to be affected?  I've checked Ryanair and Easyjet's websites but they make no mention of the strike.  I note that in the March strike, all Ryainair flights in to Malaga were fine, and only one Easyjet flight was cancelled.  I'm due to fly to Malaga that day from Bristol.  Does anyone have more information about whether Air Traffic Control are striking this time?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 2:37 PM by spacer Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have the same question.  I am flying from rome to madrid on 11/14 and would

like to know what my chances are of cancelation on Ryan air.  I already have a hotel

reservation on that date which I can not cancel.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 3:09 PM by gcdave Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

If the info I have is correct then this is the following flight problem.

Iberia Airlines have cancelled 350 flights internally and externally in spain.  Ryanair have now sent emails to customers booked to fly on this day offering alternative flights or refunds, Including myself, flying from Gran Canaria to Barcelona and Barcelona to Liverpool to see my sick father.  I phone ryanair to explain that I also have a return booked for sunday 18th Nov to be told that at the moment they are not offering any refunds because they do not know if the strike is going ahead.  WELL excuse me but if Iberia know and have cancelled 350 flights and if as expected the strike will ground all airlines then why are we not entitled to refunds.  Ryanair do not have any other alternative flights for me on Thurs so basically I have to now book with Thomson on thursday and come back on monday with thomson but I still dont know if a refund is going to be given.  I hope the info is incorrect and all Ryanair flights will be fine but it doesnt look good.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 4:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Read this over the weekend on the RA website.

Mark

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 8:51 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I gave up waiting for anything to appear on Easyjet's website, so moved my flight from the 14th to the 15th at a cost of £35. I did this the day after posting this question!

Ryanair has now got a statement on their website, saying it is out of their control so no refunds, no free transfers. Easyjet also is announcing the problem, and is offering free transfers to other days (damn, l could have waited, but then l might not have got the exact date l wanted). Both have a list of cancelled and postponed flights. Some flights to Madrid are cancelled - so Spacer you meed to check their website. Good luck!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 9:30 PM by spacer Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Would u please post the link to the cancellation list?  I could

not find it on the website.  thanx

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 9:38 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
In red, just below the half-dressed young ladynon their homepage :-)

http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/121112-ES-FR_Poss_Strike_EN-GB

Like 0      
12 Nov 2012 9:38 PM by spacer Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

another question:  ryan air says that there is no fee for changing the flight, but if

the price of the new flight is higher, do I have to pay the difference?

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 8:36 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Yes, l believe you do. That was one of the reasons l decided to change my flight a couple of weeks ago. Though l had to pay the change fee (as Easyjet weren't admitting a potential problem), the flights on Nov 15th were at THAT stage no more expensive.

If l were you l'd do it as soon as possible before prices rise even more.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 9:07 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tamara, hope you don't find that on the 15th all the planes are in the wrong place so the disruption will be just as bad.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 11:08 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

This general strike is one very good reason for not wanting Murcia MJV airport to close in favour of Corvera.
Because it is a military base they cannot take action and therefore the service shouldn,t be disrupted tomorrow.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 3:28 PM by fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

Gosh that's a relief. I think that you will find that tomorrow ( and Mondays and Fridays) there are 3 movements. Easyjet from Gatwick and 2 Madrid flights. Will it be any busier this time next year if Corvera opens?

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 7:12 PM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

In our understanding ALL air traffic control is run by the military and air traffic controllers are forbidden by law to strike.

Daveil

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 7:24 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Don't forget this strike is across four European countries. Typically air traffic control will be a complete mess.

Juan

Like 0      
13 Nov 2012 7:30 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Then at MJV ALL the personal must be employed by the military because on the last general strike this airport was fully operational.
I know because I travelled that particular day.
Without security officials and luggage personal an airport ceases to function.
Tomorrow we have 3 friends flying from there . All of whom changed from their original airport, Alicante, only yesterday.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2012 7:10 AM by spacer Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Looking at Ryanair's flight info page, there appears to be delays but no cancelations as of 8 am.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2012 2:26 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Have a good trip "home" Tamara looks like you may possibly have delays

Like 0      
15 Nov 2012 3:04 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I'm happy to report no problems today, and l understand that there were very few problems yesterday either as far as planes went. In Colmenar even the town hall was working at full strength.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electricity Charges - 0 posts
picture postcards - 0 posts
New to site. - 39 posts
Declaring cost of works to reduce tax liability - 0 posts
Spain - 8 Years Hence ?????? - 9 posts
Freesat changes - 2 posts
What grows in Spain? - 11 posts
Electricity meter - 8 posts
How to contact English Speaking Staff at Iberdrola - 1 posts
PARKING IN SEVILLE OVER CHRISTMAS - 2 posts
Laundry - 0 posts
flights - 2 posts
Television - 0 posts
Furniture pack - 0 posts
Cancelled SIP cards (Healthcare Access) - 0 posts
Uci bank - 8 posts
Empadron, non owner, living rent fee - 1 posts
Dickmanns Car hire... Alicante airport - 13 posts
Cash withdrawals in Santander Branch - 0 posts
Electricity Supplier takes over without contract!! - 8 posts
Driving Conditions to Santander in February - 4 posts
Should it be illegal to film or photograph police officers? - 24 posts
Cockroaches! Thank God they've gone! - 31 posts
Spain cracking down on prostitution! - 22 posts
Advice on Solicitors - Cash Purchase - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x