ITV & Tyres

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2012 3:45 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

It is ITV time again for my car.

Last being 2 years ago

One question regarding tyres

In Spain they are dated with week/year of manufactur

I have the same make of tyre on the front wheels and the same make on the rear

I have been told that no matter how good the tred is on the tyre. it may fail as the tyre may be out of date.

Can anybody tell me how old a tyre has to be to fail the Spanish ITV

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 5:02 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

No, but as a rule of thumb tyres should be binned once they are 4 years old.even if they haven't been used, eg a spare. The rubber starts to degrade.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 5:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

All tyres, probably everywhere,  have a date code.

My Car is 15 years old and has original tyres, it passed its ITV a month ago without any problems. However.    A friend told me his car failed because of the age of the tyres, which were younger than mine.    He does not speak Spanish so maybe it was not the date but something else.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 5:48 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Date of manufacture is on every tyre. I can't believe anyone would buy tyres without glancing at the date in case the dealer tried to foist old ones. Just like when you buy a box of eggs or a carton of milk. Except you are forking out hundreds instead of pennies. In Spain the sunlight and the heat will accelerate degredation. Also, if you keep your car in a garage with electric motors running the ozone will be an accelerant.

And John, ** EDITED **, I am surprised that you would drive around on 15 year old rubber. You are playing Russian roulette. Paradoxically, the less the tyre is used the more likely the rubber is to fail as the "conditioners & softeners" don't get regularly worked through the rubber.

This message was last edited by GuyT on 19/07/2012.

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 19/07/2012.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 6:31 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Courtesy of Bridgestone

How old is too old?

This is a subject of much debate within the tyre industry and no tyre expert can tell exactly how long a tyre will last. However, on the results of experience many tyre companies, including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture. Based on their understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 6:38 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Aren't you lucky to have tyres that last more than a year. My SL AMG shreds them in 12000 Km, so for me sever sets per year.

David

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 7:24 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi D B S.

I can beat that I need a new set of tyres for my Honda RC 36 VFR every 5.500 miles each good model Bridgestone.
Back to my Car. I purchased it 3 years ago 2009. Covered approx 7000km as not a resident and only use the car to save on hire charges.
On the car are 3 tyres dated 2009 and 1 dated 2008.
All tyres Still looking brand new with the spare being a brand new Pirelli.
I will be going to ITV in Lorca tomorrow. I will try and get an answer.
Wait out

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 5:17 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Well back from the ITV station in Lorca.

€36 paid

20 min later Pass

Paper work received back with renewal September 2013

2 years ago I lost 2 months by doing it early.

This year they gave me the 2 months back

So New ITV 14 months

I asked the question on Tyres. They say that if the correct make and pattern are on each axel as per matriculation and the condition of the tyre is good. No problem.

Nothing about the date on the tyre

This message was last edited by El alamillo on 21/07/2012.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 8:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

@GuyT: I'm surprised you're surprised at John - have you seen the state of most police cars here? Clearly, they don't have to pass an ITV every couple of years. And what's good enough for the police...

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 10:11 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

"I asked the question on Tyres. They say that if the correct make and pattern are on each axel as per matriculation and the condition of the tyre is good. No problem."

Well, there you have it in a nutshell. You can have ignorant dangerous behaviour on the one hand putting people's lives at risk.

But you're within the law. And to some people that's all that matters. 

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 10:16 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Having been a tyre fitter and outlet owner also, i might be able to give some insight to tyre condition, which is similar to Spanish Matriculation requirement.

In the UK the tyre has to be marked in accordance with EU regulations, so would be the same in Spain. this makring is a circle with a number in it, EG, e11. The "e" designates the tyres suitable use in the EU, and the accompanying number is the country of manufacture code. To use a tyre in the EU, this number MUST be displayed on the sidewall of the tyre.

Secondly the tyre must be in good condition, Ie, no cuts tears or bulges in its construction that would be conceived to affect performance or integrity, and also to be of uniform shape.

The tread depth must conform to the depth decreed by the country of use.

As to age, some countries may take this into account also, although there is no regulation for this in the UK. There is a marking starting with the letters "DOT", and nowadays ending with four digits, EG, 3512. this denotes that the tyre was made in week 35, year 12, and so is easily determinable. The main reason age is not enforced in the UK is thattyre manufacturers say that any tyre older than around 7 years needs replacing, and the UK ministry say thatmost tyres will have worn out after 7 years anyway.

I am not totally au fait with Spanish metriculation regulations regarding tyre condition , but they will not be drastically different. In short if you have any doubt about your tyres condition, replace them. Remember its the only thing controlling the car that touches the ground!

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 12:30 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

'I can't believe anyone would buy tyres without glancing at the date in case the dealer tried to foist old ones. Just like when you buy a box of eggs or a carton of milk'

GuyT -  I'm single, blonde, relatively old,  female and came to driving late - I have 'glanced' lots of things on my new tyres but certainly haven't noticed anything that suggests a date - I'll have another look in the daylight tomorrow. The previous pair of tyres I bought were via my garage, but for reasons best known to themselves they have re-located some 25 miles away. I know the suppliers that they used, so went to them to replace the other pair. Big mistake on my part. Patronising Jack the lads is all I need to say. I won't be using them again. (I am referring to Spain, not UK). 

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 9:08 AM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi aly

If you take a look at your tyres you may find the date marking which should be a small circle showing the Year and the week in the year of manufacture.

Eg 09-23

This shows that the tyres were manufactured in week 23 of 2009.   Or it may be the Manufacture country code not sure as said in a previous post.

But that is how I have always thought

This message was last edited by El alamillo on 19/08/2012.

This message was last edited by El alamillo on 19/08/2012.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2012 1:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

All the info about what is 'written' on tyres is here:-- 

http://www.northstaffstyreandbattery.co.uk/tyre_markings_stoke_on_trent_5.html

This message was last edited by johnzx on 20/08/2012.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2012 4:07 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

the law as it stands in Spain OR the UK is effectively the same regarding condition and test standard, the legal depth is even identical. All this seems to indicate to me is there are an awful lot of people driving vehicles in either country totally ignorant of the law regarding tyres!

Having been a Tyre  Fitter in recent years maybe i am more aware than most, but i dont think i will be accepting any lifts offered from anyone soon, without inspecting their tyres first!

Good luck everyone at your next MOT/ Metriculation!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

embargo on my account - 2 posts
Golf Coach on board - 0 posts
The law regarding kids in front seats... - 6 posts
Reforms to health care for EU expats - - 3 posts
New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts
New satellite channel receivable UK TV Costa Blanca - 4seven - 0 posts
Recommended Structural Surveyor near Estepona/ Marbella/ Gibraltar - 11 posts
How should I play this? - 3 posts
Agricultural Water - 3 posts
Spain needs reform NOW - 93 posts
Latest info re EU Citizen Registration (formerly Residencia) - 17 posts
Travel to Malaysia - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Security Problem - 2 posts
Plumber/DIY person wanted around Quesada area - 0 posts
GOOD NEWS FOLKS - 3 posts
ENDESA - ELECTRICTY DISCONNECTED - 14 posts
WONDERFUL - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia region - 0 posts
Jet 2 NEMA to Murcia - 1 posts
banks - 0 posts
Mount tv in Spanish brick wall - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x