Mount tv in Spanish brick wall

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2012 4:56 PM by rockinrodders Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Hi,

I'm trying to mount a flat screen tv at my duquesa apartment and drilled directly into an external wall. The drill went through about 1 inch then hit hollow then a small piece at the back.

I believe these are Spanish ceramic bricks. Has anybody tries mounting a fly screen and are the walls secure?

Thanks

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 10:08 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Difficult to say, but all depends on weight of tv plus bracket and how far away from wall your bracket design allows the tv to extend for swivelling adjustments etc.

however you have little strength as described and would need many fixings to ensure safety.

possibly you could bolt through wall and plate fix on the outside as an alternative

Norman

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 10:40 PM by duquesasuites Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I have done this 3 times and none have fallen

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 12:27 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

whatever method and fixings you use make sure you test it with your own weight before risking the tv

Norman

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 2:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I had to hang a very heavy mirror on a wall, I drilled the fixing holes lager than require, I then filled the holes and the hollow areas with mortar,  using  a plastic bag, similar to an icing bag. When the mortar had set, I drilled the fixing holes in the mortar.

There used to be a company which sold and installed  unsupported canopies on terraces etc. Their advert showed a car parked on a canopy. I called to find out how they achieved it.  They said they pumped in a resin based mix under pressure to fill all the voids .

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 2:48 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

I suppose a lot depends on the bracket you are using , if it was bought in Spain it may have a larger base plate in anticipation of the country's wall construction.

if it was a smaller base for fixing to solid walls then you could always reinforce it by fixing to a larger plate and spreading the load with more fixings further spaced.

you have a few choices

Norman

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 2:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A simple answer, as a TV is not really very heavy, would be to use cavity wall butterfly fixings screws,  

see pic at http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=fasteners&MainCategoryID=8&ProductCategoryID=232

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 5:49 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

I am afraid the simple answer would only be applicable to a very  light tv flat to the wall with no bracket projection into the room - definitely not recommended unless most unlike the current tvs that these brackets are purchased for.

Norman

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 6:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Norman,
                               I am sure you have given careful consideration to the answer I gave first,  where I explained how a considerable weight, far more than a TV,  can safely be mounted on a Spanish wall.

I am also sure that you bear in mind that I have many  years of experience of dealing with in this type of construction and in similar areas.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 6:17 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

It must be the heat!!

Please tell me we are not going to get in a lather about what's the best way to screw a tv to the wall.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 6:37 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

No heat here I am afraid, in fact if it gets much worse we will need winter fuel payments all year round.

Still by then the tvs wont be 70 kg but rolled foil that you can paste on.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 6:37 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

sorry unexplained duplicate

This message was last edited by normansands on 16/07/2012.

This message was last edited by normansands on 17/07/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

finances - 0 posts
Advice Needed - 2 posts
Come and join us in Baza Granada - 0 posts
podiatrist/chiropodist needed (CB) - 2 posts
Building a business...?! - 5 posts
drink driving - 53 posts
beware "EXACT CHANGE" Bureaux in Malaga Airport - 1 posts
- 0 posts
- 0 posts
New - 4 posts
Best Internet Landline and Mobile Provider - 1 posts
SabadellCAM - 5 posts
The Politicians in a Panic - 24 posts
Indian Restaurant Mojacar Playa - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
using unsold apartment - 52 posts
LATEST AUSTERITY MEASURES. - 2 posts
civil residency -> gift tax -> and tax :) - 0 posts
What will I spend it on - 1 posts
Any bicycle hire shops near Algorfa? - 1 posts
Bank witholding information - advice please - 4 posts
New airport bus service from Playa Flamenca to Alicante - 2 posts
Help needed - 1 posts
Shutter repairs in Torrevieja - 2 posts
Small Chest Freezer for Sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x