Travel to Malaysia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jul 2012 9:13 AM by josephgoh Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello everyone, me and my sister will going travel Melaka from Singapore on September 
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a train from Singapore to Melaka? 
I understand Melaka may be Melaka does not have its own railway station so where should we get off and how to continue onwards to Melaka? Also, how long will the entire trip take? 
If not, what other alternatives are recommended? Any help would be really welcome 
Thank you 

Like 0      
17 Jul 2012 2:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In case you do not get any first-hand suggestions:  

I just Googled    "KL to Melaka"  and found a lot of info which might be helpful.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 2:11 PM by ohnoes Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

You can't get a train from S'pore to Melaka at present - there's been repeated talk of building a new branch line from Tampin, but it's not happened. From Singapore you can get the Singapore-Malacca Express. It's something of an institution and does what it says on the tin, and is a hourly express shuttle service. Last bus is fairly early though, about 7pm, so plan accordingly.

Journey time depoends very much on the traffic at the border, but on a good day about 3 or 3.5hrs is realistic. It's best to travel in the middle of the day, and go mid-week. At weekends the border is horrendous, paticularly saturday mornings and sunday evenings.The SME departs from Kallang Bahru Complex, which is easy walking distance of Lavendar MRT. (some sites still say Golden Mile, but this has changed since Golden Mile was redeveloped). It arrives at Melaka Sentral bus station in Malacca. 

Note that at the border you have to alight and reboard twice with all your belongings (once for Singaporean side, once for Malaysian side).

Once the borders are dealt with, the route is good. Outside of the city centres, it's expressway all the way. 

The nearest rail station is at Tampin, which is on the West Coast mainline (Singapore-KL-Butterworth). All KL/Butterworth/Had Yai bound trains stop there. From Tampin you need to get a local bus into Melaka, allow about 45 mins. The old station in Singapore closed last year. Now you need to go to Woodlands Checkpoint (which is NOT Woodlands MRT, though there is a frequent bus between the two) and pick up the train there. It's really not worth the hassle though.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Swimming Pool Security Problem - 2 posts
Plumber/DIY person wanted around Quesada area - 0 posts
GOOD NEWS FOLKS - 3 posts
ENDESA - ELECTRICTY DISCONNECTED - 14 posts
WONDERFUL - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia region - 0 posts
Jet 2 NEMA to Murcia - 1 posts
banks - 0 posts
Mount tv in Spanish brick wall - 11 posts
finances - 0 posts
Advice Needed - 2 posts
Come and join us in Baza Granada - 0 posts
podiatrist/chiropodist needed (CB) - 2 posts
Building a business...?! - 5 posts
drink driving - 53 posts
beware "EXACT CHANGE" Bureaux in Malaga Airport - 1 posts
- 0 posts
- 0 posts
New - 4 posts
Best Internet Landline and Mobile Provider - 1 posts
SabadellCAM - 5 posts
The Politicians in a Panic - 24 posts
Indian Restaurant Mojacar Playa - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
using unsold apartment - 52 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x