Electrical Goods

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

Were about to furnish our property, my question is "I'm looking to buy a flat screen TV" Is there a spainish equivelant of Comet or Currys, or I could use the internet.
Is there anything different in the specification ie. would a uk tele work in spain.

Thanks

Derek Cooke 

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 10:15 AM by passion Star rating in Estepona. 15 posts Send private message

I have heard that not all UK tvs work in Spain so perhaps best to buy here. What area of Spain are you buying in? If Costa del Sol, then there is plenty of choice. El Corte Ingles has a good selection but best to buy in its Hipercor departments as normally cheaper. Also Boulanger and Idea.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 10:43 AM by ika Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Carrefour, Media Markt, Ikea, depends on where you are, they are all in the Costa Blanca. Ika

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 7:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Look at the thread for Spanish TV lower down the page.  Lots of questions are asked and answered on this thread.

Lots of places to buy electrical goods but highly recommend Carrefour superstores who have a good range with competitive prices.  Service support is also excellent and they tend to have quite a few English speakers on the staff (well, the one in Torrevieja has anyway).

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 10:49 AM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Hi, The difference in UK & Spanish TV's is the PAL system they run on, a lot of newer UK TV's will be ok operating in Spain but if you have an older version then the likleyhood is that you will get a picture but no sound.

UK TV's operate on PAL1 whereas Spanish is PAL2, your local dealer should be able to tell you if your TV will work.

I bought a TV from Boulanger and it is excellent.

Hope this helps

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 11:08 AM by john buckley Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Morning everyone, just a quick question. We are down at Angel first week in December and may be buying TV and DVD player. My question is will English DVD'S purchased in UK play ok on Spanish DVD players. Any information appreciated.

Many Thanks

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 11:21 AM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Hi John, yes UK DVD's work well on Spanish players. I have quite a lot of them, you can of course buy Spanish DVD's as well just make sure that it displays idiomas Inglese.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2006 12:34 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Europe is DVD region 2, so as long as the DVD player and discs say region 2 you'll be fine.

jfj

Like 0      
27 Nov 2006 10:22 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi all

Probably leaving it a bit late now, but talking of electrical things, can anybody recommend a reliable english speaking electrician in the Estepona area please?Obviously he'd have to be compliant with the spanish wiring system, I understand they can be a bit hit & miss sometimes when installing wiring, even using telephone cable for electric on one property prog I was watching! I'm flying out tomorrow evening and need some bits doing, I dont think my pidgin-spanish would be enough to explain what I need!

Cheers

Hobby

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 1:13 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 3:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I bought a TV and DVD player from Carrefour and had no problems.  Also bought the air con units which are excellent and have had for over two years with no probs whatsover.  Considering the price I paid for them (less than 200 euros per unit and the same amount to have them fitted) I reckon the value was brill!

Away from electricals, I bought a chair (an expensive one) that was damaged when we opened the box at home. Had no problems exchanging it and a very good English speaker (far better than my Spanish) helped us out and offered a full refund or a new chair.  I took the chair and they delivered it that afternoon free of charge.  The delivery guy unpacked it and checked it over for me so I have nothing but praise for Carrefour.  Haven't had any problems with the electrical goods so couldn't comment on that.  Maybe I was lucky on these occasions but, having no connection with Carrefour whatsoever, have always received good service regardless.  Plus I found their prices quite cheap to other outlets.  Perhaps the fact that I tried doing it all in Spanish helped although I had a problem with the Spanish for receipt (Who would have thought it is as complicated as "ticket"?)

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 3:25 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Bob dont wish to dampen your enthusiasm for Carrefour and I agree that for many things they are excellent VFM. Nevertheless, under Spanish Law just as in the UK any retailer is required to offer replacement or refund for faulty goods so they were only doing what they had to otherwise risk the wrath of the law. In a great many cases they are also required to repair faulty goods for up to two years after purchase (as long as you keep the "ticket" or recibo). If the goods cannot be repaired they are required to replace. I dont know which specifics the 2 year warranty applies to but certainly electrical goods and probably others. Will try and find out.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 4:51 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 4:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I wasn't trying to post an advert for Carrefour, it's just that they are very convenient if you don't live in the area and want a one-stop place if you haven't time to go scouting around the place.  I also accept that they have a responsibility for changing faulty goods just like in the UK.  If you have ever had to exchange things in UK, you'll probably realise the barriers the UK dealers (some of the very big ones too) put in your way.  This is why I was pleased with the service I got on the only occasion I had to change something.  As for the language problems, try buying or exchanging something in UK and only speaking Spanish!!! 

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 6:22 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
01 Dec 2006 6:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Currently have a top duplex in Blue Hills which we have had for about 4 years.   We are buying a house on Residential Albamar on the south outskirts of Quesada in order to retire there.  The new place has been promised for 18 months time, so give it 2 years plus.  We want to retire there in about 3 years or so.  Currently having problems putting the duplex up for sale as the developers haven't come up with the title deeds yet (after 4 years?) so a lot of our time when we visit is taken up with visiting solicitors and builders etc.  Hence the reason we don't have too much time to scout around electrical dealers, especially as she who must be obeyed loves the markets so much it usually takes up 2 days at least of our week stays.  Went at the beginning of November and will next be there at the end of January courtesy of BMI baby flights at £7.99 each way (less extras, of course) and the total of £73 return for two of us is cheaper than the train to London for a weekend.  Really looking forward to putting my feet up over there even though my parents reckon I'm too young to retire.  Hopefully, the entertainment stuff I bring from UK will work in Spain without too many probs (Plasma TV, DVD Recorder etc), if not, guess I'll be hunting the electrical outlets so kindly recommended by the nice people visiting this site.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts
mortgages - 10 posts
Property owned by Spanish SL - 4 posts
Bank Valuations - 10 posts
wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts
General help please - 1 posts
mortgage advice - 2 posts
Expensive in Madrid - 1 posts
Lights are not always included - 5 posts
Arcos de la Frontera - 3 posts
pets on the move - 0 posts
Best bank for expats - 100 posts
Don't pay for your bank guarantee - 14 posts
villa required 27th feb to 4th march in murcia region - 2 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x