Don't pay for your bank guarantee

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Over the past few weeks I've noticed on many of the development message boards that people are being made to pay for their bank guarantees for their off plan properties.

This is so wrong.

The developer has to by law issue you with a bank guarantee free of charge.  If your lawyer doesn't know this or isn't doing anything about it then it's time to find a new new.

Maria de Castro, who is an Eye on Spain approved lawyer, recently wrote an article about this for our magazine.  Click here to read it.

You have the information to hand so please use it.  Don't give these developers any more money than you have to. 

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Nov 2006 1:41 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

I have been trying to get this point across myself in a number of threads. I wholeheartedly concur. So many people seem so happy to take their lawyers (or are they the developers lawyer) at face value and simply accept what they say.

RGds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Nov 2006 3:34 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The problem seems to be worst when people use the lawyers recommended to them by the developer.  In this case the lawyer will rarely act in the best interests of the buyers.  Always find your own lawyer when buying your off plan.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Nov 2006 9:16 AM by taxiparrots Star rating in Deepest Suffolk. 149 posts Send private message

E O S Team,

Regarding Bank Guarantees. I have read nothing that says the Bank Guarantee has to be provided free of charge.I have read Maria de Castro's article,can't see it there.Can you show me something written in law which says it has to be provided free of charge? I suggest it's entirely up to the developer if a charge is made.Anyone who decided to challenge the issue in court could well lose.Some of these developers are big powerful companies and know exactly how they stand on this matter. It's ok for forum members to ask for a free guarantee but not to take it further.

taxiparrots

Like 0      
26 Nov 2006 10:44 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Taxi Parrots I am fairly certain the developer has to provide it at no cost. I read something about it roughly 10 months ago. Will see if I still have the article. At the end of the day the devloper will simply price it into the cost of the apartment.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
27 Nov 2006 10:10 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for a bank guarantee certificate unless the purchase terms clearly state that it's a chargeable element at the outset! Nevertheless, I would STRONGLY recommend that any reader of this forum who dosn't possess an original guarantee (Not a photcopy) from their developer for their FULL deposit plus iva, immediately takes steps to obtain it.

I and more than 20 investors at a development who intended to claim against ours discovered that our solicitors had either not obtained a guarantee for the full deposit paid over or had not received one at all! To make matters worse we all believed our Promotor recommended solicitors were do a good job for us. In the end no matter who may be ultimately  responsible for providing it, it is each buyers responsibilty to check that their guarantee is in place!

Mike T

Like 0      
27 Nov 2006 10:26 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
The obligation of providing a bank guarantee is of the Developer since 1968, by virtue of the Law I specified in my article ( 57/68), in that same law it states that develoeprs can be fined witha  fine of the 25% of the amounts they should have secured whit Insurance instruments or Bank Guarantees. No doubt, purchasers don´t need to pay for that.

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro
LAwyer
www.costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Nov 2006 9:21 PM by taxiparrots Star rating in Deepest Suffolk. 149 posts Send private message

I've still not read any document stating the developer has to pay for the bank guarantee. I understand the developer is obliged to provide one but nothing to suggest a charge cannot be made.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2006 10:23 PM by dorothy3 Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

"However some developers are incurring in the unlawful practice of charging the consumer with the costs of the guarantee."

taken from...........

www.marbella-lawyers.com/index/articles/showArticle/buying-property-developer-spain

Anyone not already bought off plan could find this of interest...

www.spanishlawyers.eu/news-from-andalusian-lawyers/Andalusian-Lawyers-News-June-2006.pdf

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 2:14 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 7:06 AM by taxiparrots Star rating in Deepest Suffolk. 149 posts Send private message

Tell me Maria L de Castro, how many developers have been fined, since 1968 for charging for their bank guarantees?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 9:25 AM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

On a positive note, we have bought through MRI in Porto Fino and are using their recommended legal team. Thus far we have had no problems, even to the point of asking yesterday for confirmation that they hold an original bank guarantee. They emailed straight back with the confirmation and attached a .tif of the document. Can't ask for fairer than that.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2006 2:50 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2006 1:11 PM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

At last!!!!!

Word back from my solicitor as follows in the last half hour........now I can finally relax and enjoy the holiday period.Please find attached the two annexes, one for each purchase, through which Luz de Almoradí confirms that you can sign the title deeds with the habitation license in place, as well as confirming that there will be bank guarantees at no cost, as requested

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

''

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 7:53 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Congratulations!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

villa required 27th feb to 4th march in murcia region - 2 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 3 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 0 posts
Do you like the new logo? - 20 posts
Accountants - 0 posts
Flights to and from GLASGOW - 0 posts
ADVICE - 2 posts
Finca parcs development - 0 posts
Deposit - 4 posts
Community Minutes - 0 posts
Administrators - 34 posts
cost of living? - 1 posts
Lifts - 0 posts
Gogo Estates, Aguilas - 30 posts
thinking of buying in porto fino - 1 posts
Neuvo Vera Apartment - 1 posts
jimena latest - 9 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
any information on building progress on torre alcantara? - 0 posts
furnature in fureteventura - 4 posts
3 months longer for developers to sell a new development - 0 posts
MRI international - 93 posts
kids football teams - 0 posts
Andalucian dream homes? have you used them? - 86 posts
Laguna Golf - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x