AVG ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Can anyone help me, I have just had a notice flash up on my computer

screen saying that the AVG anti virus 7.5 that I  use for free will run out

on the 12th april 2009. When I try to download the new 8.5 that they recommend

there is a charge of approx 66 U.S. dollars.Is there any way I can use another anti virus

programme without having to pay for it.??

GYPSY

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 2:42 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Gypsy

I use AVG free, and have been very pleased with it. You can still get AVG free but only from there website direct.

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Steve

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 3:32 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi

I upgraded to AVG version 8.5 free yesterday but I did have to search the screen to find it. I think the download button was right down at the bottom of the page. Have another look.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:26 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

F.A.O. team gb and j & n.

thanks for the info, followed the instructions till it said download should start shortly,

if not click on here !!, did this as download did not start and a window pops up do you want to run

or open this file but it may harm your computer if you do,how can I check if I am now on 8.5 edition.

I am still a novice with this computer stuff.

GYPSY

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:36 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Gypsy

I'm no Bill Gates but,

Make sure you are downloading from the AVG site direct, the link i posted earlier goes straight to where you need to be.

When you get the dialogue box click on run and install the software, the old version AVG will probably warn you about all manor of things, You may have to disable your old AVG before you start.

If you are able to succesfully download the software you will then be able to see if its version 8.5 from the 'about' section.

Steve

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:45 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

to team gb

just had a trial run, when you get to the part where

you press run to install it shows a time of

over 2 hours to install . is this correct before

I go back to install it, it seems a long time to me!!!

GYPSY

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:48 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

to team gb,

forgot to say, I am still on 7.5.

also how do I disable old avg

if needed HELP

GYPSY

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:57 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

If you download the new file (just short of 60MB) and click on install, it will shut down your old version during the install.Don't worry aboutgow long it says to install as this will change as it goes along.You will need to reboot your pc once the new version is installed and download the new updates. The click on the AVG icon in your system tray (bottom right) and open the user interface. You can then click on the Help tab and About, this will tell you the version number.

Mark

Like 0      
20 Mar 2009 6:58 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Gypsy

To disable AVG go to the icon on the bottom toolbar(where the clock is) and right click on the icon and then on exit.

It should only take about 30 mins on ADSL (Broadband)

No more help now, going to Pub

Steve

Like 0      
21 Mar 2009 2:58 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Thank you to everyone who replied to me,

I am now on AVG free version 8.5. Yipeeeeeee

GYPSY

Like 0      
21 Mar 2009 5:17 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Can I make a suggestion here...

Dont be in too much of a hurry to ditch AVG 7.5.

Yes. I know they say they are withdrawing support for this version in April , but this is exactly what they said a year ago when they brought in AVG 8.0

Those who took the hint then and downloaded AVG 8 downloaded a program that was so buggy that certain aspects of it effectively brought their internet to a standstill. The fact that AVG8 has gone from v8 to v8.5 in the space of less than a year suggests to me that it is still not entirely bug free.

These bugs are covered by a couple of entries on this forum. Justin might remember the problems since he too was affected... 

By far the biggest problem was associated with email virus scanning and url virus scanning; these alone slowed access dramatically, because AVG 8 scans an email before allowing it to be opened and scans all of the content of a web site before displaying it. The email scanner can be turned off but url scanning cannot.

If you use Google, Yahoo or msn email you dont need the virus scanner anyway since all fo these have their own built in scanners and the two scanners running side by side raises problems of incompatibility.

There were compatibility issues between AVG 8 and Norton too...Again these incompatibilities brought our computers to a standstill. We have three computers and AVG 7.5 was installed on each. We have removed Norton from all of them, but please be advised that if you decide to go this route too and remove Norton using the Add/Remove Program facility in the Windows Control Panel certain Norton files get left behind that can screw up your computer and have to be 'surgically' removed using a different method.

If anyone wants  information on this file removal operation I can dig up the information.

For myself, I hung onto AVG 7.5 and experienced none of the problems we had on our other desktop machine to which we downloaded AVG 8 (and promptly regretted).

I'm going to play wait and see...my AVG 7.5 still gets its daily update...if it stops on April 12 then I might just think about upgrading, but on reflection I might just go elsewhere; there are plenty of other free programs out there just as good if not better!

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 3/21/2009.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
21 Mar 2009 6:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I am in the process of evaluating Comodo which is a firewall and anti virus programme. At the moment I have only the firewall installed on my PC and firewall, anti virus on my Son's. I noticed with AVG the updates would regularly fail, especially when big updates came out and everyone was trying to download. Then there was the problem with the corrupted file which meant manually updating the virus signatures untuil a patch was found.

Not sure on what I think of AVG 8.5 yet!

Mark

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 5:58 PM by Angell Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

On my first computer which was given to me by a friend it had AVG which never gave me any trouble but when I bought a new computer the dealer fitted the NOD 32 Anti-Virus and that updates regularly without any problems, I am quite happy.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Samsung F480 TOCCO Mobile Phone - Brand New - 0 posts
Year 2000 Hyundai Car 995€ or Swap Large Van - 0 posts
Would anyone be interested....? - 22 posts
"Living next door to Alice" - 1 posts
Lots of questions about electricity connection/contracts/meters etc !! - 2 posts
Will Atlético move to Estadio La Peineta? - 1 posts
Newbie - 2 posts
what is the difference between potentially and realistically - 1 posts
Sea fishing - 8 posts
Merienda - 7 posts
Fines and the Guardia Civil - 9 posts
Hacienda Taray- Hacienda San Cayetano - 6 posts
Contract revision: an alternative to judicial affair - 0 posts
Sky dish 1.9 inc digi box, cable and card for sale - 4 posts
Hi everyone - 4 posts
sole trader - 0 posts
pattison1951 - 1 posts
Flamenco - 8 posts
Mugging in Duqessa - 36 posts
Newbie - 2 posts
Dynamic Currency Conversion - 0 posts
stay in uk - 28 posts
Experienced fish fryer required for fish and chip shop in Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
News for Barclays Spain mortgage holders - 8 posts
Help Moving to spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x