Builder looking for work

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Sep 2019 4:43 PM by Rosnashane Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi my name is Hannah and I am a new member, as I'm based in a rural town in Seville province, I'm looking for advice on local forums to join.

At present I'm looking for work for a builder friend of mine. He's from Ireland and would like to come over to my area for the winter/spring/as the weather at home isn't great. Any advice would be very welcome, thank you in advance.

Like 1      
22 Sep 2019 6:09 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Welcome to EOS Hannah. Without going into detail your friend has about as much chance of winning 1st prize in the lottery as finding work in Spain.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2019 6:50 PM by Rosnashane Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi thanks for your reply, local Spanish people are telling me builder's are always working, I just need to find a contractor.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2019 7:30 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Rosnashane,

You are right there's plenty of work - but at the right rate.  I tend to use Spanish contractors who charge 30% to 50% what northern european contracts expect. 

Some of them can earn more if they establish  contacts in ex-pat communities, but these are largely limited to the semi tourist areas.  You need to do your research.

Like 2      
22 Sep 2019 7:43 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Yes acer there is only 7 million recorded unemployed in Spain who all speak Spanish. Hannah’s Irish friend will just walk into a job.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2019 9:54 PM by Rosnashane Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Acer, you're right, research needs to be done and that's exactly what I'm doing on this forum.

As for just walking into a job kavanagh, I did, and he can but try.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2019 6:00 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Rosnashane, is your Irish friend fluent in Spanish, the ** EDITED - Inciting -Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 9/23/2019 6:58:00 PM.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2019 7:28 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Kavanagh - you say "...there is only 7 million recorded unemployed in Spain who all speak Spanish"... that's as maybe, but how many of those 7 million recorded unemployed are experienced builders?

Equally important how many of the many hundreds of thousands of so prospective wealthy north european customers prefer to deal with a builder who speaks fluent English!

In practice there are thousands of UK, Irish and other north european contractors working successfully in Spain who don't speak Spanish, so why shouldn't Hannah's friend do the same?

Yourself and angeleyes seem to delight in spouting unpleasant negative comments.  Why?

Like 2      
23 Sep 2019 9:05 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Actually just over 3 million unemployed but let's not let the real figures get in the way.

Like 1      
24 Sep 2019 12:18 AM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

I totally agree Acer.

The forums are not for continued negative comments.

but hopefully to help people or give impartial advice, the it can help them make the right decisions.

I am a great believer that there is plenty of work out here for reliable, trustworthy, tradespeople who produce decent quality workmanship at sensible prices.

Like 3      
24 Sep 2019 8:46 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The unemployed in Spain is currently 3 million people not 7 million people,  Mariedav has given the correct figure.  You must also consider that quite a few of those are working in the hidden economy.

I do believe there is work for a builder that speaks little or no Spanish, in certain areas of Spain, specially in areas where many foreigners own properties.  The friend of Rosnashane will just have to research and look around to see which areas are preferrable for them to settle in.  If he makes the effort of learning enough of the local language and is good and reasonably priced, he might get work from Spanish people eventually.  I live in the Costa del Sol and in general this would be a good place to start the research.

I agree with what has been said about the negativity and figure exageration of some people.

Like 2      
24 Sep 2019 9:13 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Population Spain 46.72 million

Unemployment rate June 2019 14% = 6,540,800

Like 0      
24 Sep 2019 10:27 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Angeleyes, the fact is that a good builder who works hard and builds up a reputation can easily succeed if he speaks either Spanish or English. 

I admit I use a Spanish builder, he's skilled and is very imaginative with solutions to problems.  I've used him regularly for over 5 years.  At first we communicated in Spanish (with difficulty) now it's in English as he's made a big effort to learn the language to expand his business!

So I reckon there's a bit more too it than the unemployment figures you continually recite.  With good research and right business ethic and plan Hannah's friend will succeed.

Like 4      
24 Sep 2019 10:36 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Angeleyes

Population Spain 46.72 million

Unemployment rate June 2019 14% = 6,540,800

Right, of course it is. Counting all the children and babies now in unemployment figures? 

Like 1      
24 Sep 2019 1:35 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Angeleyes,

Perhaps you attended the Diane Abbott School of Mathmatics?

Surely, also, with an Irish passport Hannah's friend will shortly be better placed than many to start work here!

Like 2      
24 Sep 2019 5:03 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Angel eyes, in addition to babies, children and young teenagers, you are counting  everyone over the age of 65 as unemployed?

Like 2      
24 Sep 2019 10:51 PM by Rosnashane Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement and positive comments, I was beginning to think I had joined a hostile forum of nutters 😂 but Acer and others kindly shared their good advice, I'm in La Campana Seville province, a little remote, so my friend maybe should be looking elsewhere. A good jobsite would help.

Thanks again everyone.

Hannah

Like 0      
25 Sep 2019 12:45 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Thank you Hannah, members are always here to help and counsel within the capacity of their knowledge.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2019 2:46 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I don't think the idea is that far off.

After a long recession in the real estate business, Spain is clearly once again building. I see new houses going up everywhere. 5 years ago or so I could call any builder in my area and he would offer to start work the very next morning. There was so little work for them to do. These days they have much more work and you need to wait a long time. So I think there is sufficient work if you know how to market your services.

The builders who did all the work around my house are all Spanish and I manage to explain what I want in Spanish. But I can definitely see a market for builders who speak English. Although they should ideally speak Spanish too as they need to talk to all sorts of people and file the paperwork

Like 0      
26 Sep 2019 4:08 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

That's a very fair comment Lobin.  

I'm currenty trying to refurbish a bathroom, including a few features like underfloor heating. 

I tried a couple of Spanish recommendations but the need for complete understanding of the detail drove me to a British plumber/builder - even though I'm going to have to wait until the New Year, as he's so booked-up.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rental sites - 8 posts
Returning after 6 years in UK - 76 posts
I'm selling my 2 bedroom flat in Torrequebrada(Malaga) - 2 posts
RECIPROCITY - IN A 'NO DEAL ' CONTEXT - 18 posts
Latest weather and Murcia airport - 24 posts
Operation Yellow Hammer - 159 posts
A Cunning Plan.. - 4 posts
Funeral Plan Sellers - 25 posts
renewing passport - 22 posts
Am I a "squatter"? - 13 posts
A Real Indiana Jones - 0 posts
Leeds Bradford to Murcia Ryanair Winter Flights Cancelled - 1 posts
Changing to individual water accounts - 9 posts
Dance Teacher - 0 posts
Keeping Your Cash Safe - 10 posts
Residencia query - 3 posts
Change in Administator -AGM or EGM - 10 posts
What Spanish Banks should offer every UK mortgage holder ( 2 x 1) - 13 posts
I'm spanish, maybe moving to Tenerife (various questions) - 0 posts
Solicitors fees - real or imagined - 0 posts
plusvalia - 5 posts
Off plan purchase -warning - 69 posts
Dilemma - 15 posts
Layz Spa parts - 0 posts
Personal Injury Lawyers - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x