Latest weather and Murcia airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Sep 2019 7:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

With the current bad conditions and warnings to travellers, does anyone know if Corvera is running as usual? I notice Ryanair diverted their Madrid and Alicante flights today and we are due to fly tomorrow. Hoping the main roads to Mojacar are still intact too, unlike about 5 years ago when it was washed away at Lorca.

Thanks for any info out there.

Mark

edit: The weather could pale into insignificance if the predicted strike on the 21st comes to fruition. Maybe an extended stay in Spain sad

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 13/09/2019.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2019 7:34 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Most of the ones this morning and afternoon were cancelled but now back to normal. Hopefully will remain open unless the heavens open again.

Murcia Today has updates and shows pretty bad road conditions earlier on.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2019 7:34 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Most of the ones this morning and afternoon were cancelled but now back to normal. Hopefully will remain open unless the heavens open again.

Murcia Today has updates and shows pretty bad road conditions earlier on. It also gives a link for the DGT website on road conditions.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 13/09/2019.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2019 8:32 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

That's great, thank you yes

Like 0      
14 Sep 2019 6:23 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Has anyone any experiences to share as to what happened at Corvera? The reason I am asking is if we had hired a car to return on Friday and all the roads and the airport were closed, what would have happened. ie. You can't get to the airport to return the car, you can't get to the airport to get coaches that presumably would be laid on to take you to another airport? If you were diverted on an inbound flight what would happen with regard to your hire car, pick up say Alicante return to Corvera?

Like 0      
14 Sep 2019 10:09 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just leaving Corvera now. It was closed yesterday, i suppose you would have had to return the car to Alicante? Our shuttle transport we used today was picking up and dropping off at Alicante yesterday.

Edit: Lots of water flowing across the approach road still, probably about 6" deep in places.

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 14/09/2019.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 9:50 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hello Jarvi

You say ‘’if we had’’ which I presume you did not.

I very much doubt there will be a clear answer to any ‘’IF’’ that may only occur once every 20 years or more. However my granny still has her WW11 air raid shelter in her back garden in Bradford in case we go to war with China. 

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 10:06 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

angel

The reason I say "if we had" is that we are going to Corvera this Friday, and had we booked our trip to go earlier could have been affected.  As the situation on Friday is one that I can never remember happening with San Javier airport, I just wondered what happened to people who had to return their hire cars and try to get to the airport. There are people who would have a clear answer they are the people who either were to leave or land at Corvera last Friday. I may find out from people who live in our village when I get there.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 10:28 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

‘’had we booked our trip to go earlier’’ more ‘’IF’’ but you did not. There must be at least 30 hire companies, who on EOS can possibly know all their procedures in the event that happened? In fact I suspect most companies did not have a clue themselves. The whole area came to a total standstill, fact, and no one could do anything.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 10:42 AM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

Happened at San Javier a few years ago December time , take car to Alicante and just pay a surcharge for returning to another airport, they would rather see the hire car returned to another airport and accounted for, rather than being abandoned at the side of the road, that would be costly for both parties.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 11:02 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

A few practical questions....

Are you saying that car hire companies have no plan in place in the event of floods preventing clients returning vehicles to their original destinations? 

Is there currently no standardised approach to this across the car hire sector in Spain?

Does car hire insurance cover this eventuality? i.e. Is there insurance protection in place to cover the costs of surcharge for returning the vehicle to another airport in the event of flood?

This message was last edited by ads on 15/09/2019.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2019 11:48 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Ads, I do not know the answers to your practical questions and it would be a brave member on EOS to say they do. I suppose you would need to carefully read the terms and conditions of each care hire company to see what they say in the event of a major flood, earthquake or act of war. You would also need to read the insurance policy details to see if you are covered for surcharges and the vehicle being washed away.

We can all make useless guesses, and don’t forget car hire companies can change terms and conditions on a daily basis.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 9:25 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Angeleyes - this is more likely a "force majeure" situation where contract conditions will not apply.  The car hire company may try to see it differently, but the law of the land is far more important.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 10:03 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

You may well be correct acer. Call it what you like, but I have a feeling that the hirer’s will be dipping into their pockets and the car hire companies will have theirs sown up, whatever the law says.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 11:30 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Probably in general terms worthwhile suggesting visitors review the following

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 12:44 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Angeleyes, just making the point that in law a car hirer cannot be held liable for the consequences of this kind of event, whatever the contract terms might say.

They are fools if they meekly "dip into their pockets" as you suggest.

Like 1      
16 Sep 2019 3:53 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Yes acer, but this is Spain where in many situations the law seems irrelevant, it’s a make it up as you go along society, and if you don’t like it, see you in court at your expense in 5 years.

Some Brits will meekly dip into their pockets when told, it’s their habit, and others will just have their credit card pre payment debited.

This is car hire not the church society.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 5:46 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Angeleyes,
Below is an extract from a summary of the law applicable to contracts in Spain:

Force majeure
Is force majeure recognised in your jurisdiction? What are the consequences of a force majeure event?

Yes, force majeure operates as a matter of law. The definition and effects are included in article 1105 of the Civil Code and are implied into any contract. Parties may expand the definition of force majeure events and widen its application in a contract.

A force majeure event releases the affected party from liability and relieves the party from the duty of partly or fully complying with its contractual obligation. It can also suspend the execution of an obligation or allow an extension of time to perform the same.

For a force majeure event to relieve a party from having to comply with its contractual obligations, the event must meet the following three criteria: externality - the situation that leads to the non-performance of the obligation must be beyond the control of the party alleging the force majeure event; unpredictability - the party must not be able to foresee the occurrence of the event (if the event is foreseeable, the party must be prepared for it); and irresistibility - the consequences of the event could not be avoided.

The burden of proof lies with the party wishing to be discharged from its contractual obligations.

Quite honestly, it's probably not a "cut & dried" (bad pun) case.  Maria might well say I'm talking rubbish.  But for sure your attitude towards the problem is completely wrong.  Too many people give in too readily and don't stand up for themselves against companies who spout their "terms & conditions" or "their policy" which are not easily enforceable in a situation like this. 

So don't throw the towel in too easily.  Worse still - don't encourage others to do so!  Should they really be responsible for the consequences of bad weather?   That doesn’t make sense to me.  In practice the law invariably makes a lot of sense and there is no need to be so negative in the advice you provide.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2019 6:04 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Acer I accept everything is correct that you say. But it is a case of the law vs reality. I would expect most car hire companies will try it on, and probably get away with it. I am not being negative, but warning readers what they may encounter.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2019 4:33 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Good post acer

Force majeure
Is force majeure recognised in your jurisdiction? What are the consequences of a force majeure event?

How will insurance policy holders who have suffered flood damage to their homes go on with insurance company claims.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Operation Yellow Hammer - 159 posts
A Cunning Plan.. - 4 posts
Funeral Plan Sellers - 25 posts
renewing passport - 22 posts
Am I a "squatter"? - 13 posts
A Real Indiana Jones - 0 posts
Leeds Bradford to Murcia Ryanair Winter Flights Cancelled - 1 posts
Changing to individual water accounts - 9 posts
Dance Teacher - 0 posts
Keeping Your Cash Safe - 10 posts
Residencia query - 3 posts
Change in Administator -AGM or EGM - 10 posts
What Spanish Banks should offer every UK mortgage holder ( 2 x 1) - 13 posts
I'm spanish, maybe moving to Tenerife (various questions) - 0 posts
Solicitors fees - real or imagined - 0 posts
plusvalia - 5 posts
Off plan purchase -warning - 69 posts
Dilemma - 15 posts
Layz Spa parts - 0 posts
Personal Injury Lawyers - 7 posts
Proxy votes AGM - 4 posts
Transferring pension to spain - 10 posts
Freeware Accounting Progam for a Small Club/Association - 1 posts
need to change uk address - 59 posts
IBI tax on property - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x