Ron

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Apr 2019 2:56 PM by rono13 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have property in La Marina Urb and have received a bill from SUMA for a property that I do not own, I cannot get the Postal Address of this property. The bill is for property tax going back to 2010, 2011 and 2012, I was told that suma cannot chase debts over 4 years old. Any clues if this is true?

body p

Like 0      
14 Apr 2019 3:40 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Rono and welcome to EOS

A bit of a long shot but have you thought about contacting SUMA office?

Like 0      
14 Apr 2019 3:42 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Pop along to the SUMA office. I don't know which one La Marina/San Fulgencio comes under but there is one in Santa Pola and one in Rojales. I've found the Rojales one to be very helpful. If it's not your property, and never has been, then you shouldn't be liable for it.

Go into the SUMA website (it's in English) and enter your NIE and the reference number on the bill. This will show you what bills are outstanding and for what. You may get the property address from there.

SUMA

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 10:00 AM by rono13 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies, Yes I have been in contact with SUMA but they continue to say I am liable for the bill.

As I said before I am in UK at the moment and is difficult to get SUMA to answer my questions. The address on the bill is not a postal address so I do not know where the property is. I have asked them to look at the NOTA SIMPLE and they will see who owns the property, but still no sense our of SUMA.

Ron

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 11:21 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If the SUMA have confirmed you are liable then they must have an associated address that relates to the bill?

Did the original bill come in the form of an email? This isn’t a phishing scam is it?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 12:37 PM by rono13 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

No the bill came to my uk address via post

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 12:53 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Rono are you actually saying you have no knowledge of this property whatsoever and you have never had any association with it, ownership, renting or business?

Or are you asking if you can get out of the debt through some 4 year rule?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 4:07 PM by rono13 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have never owned this propert, I do not know where it is,

Never rented it or had anything to do with it

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 4:41 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Well Rono you best get someone who speaks Spanish to visit the SUMA office and find out what this is all about and what evidence they have before they take a charge over your La Marina property and your UK property which they have the details of.

If you’re not careful you will be the next star on ‘’can’t pay, we’ll take it away’’.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 5:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry, I can't offer any enlightenment, but this sounds a very curious case indeed! If, as you say, you do not know where the property is, how do you know that you've never owned, rented or had anything to do with it? I'm unfamiliar with "SUMA", but I've never seen an IBI bill without the address of the property in question on it. Are you sure there's no reference to the address of the property for which the bill relates to? You say it's not a postal address - so what exactly is it? 

Do you perhaps own a garage place or trastero?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 5:25 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If this is an error, perhaps just as concerning is a system that can allow this wrong cross reference to happen in the first place, without any inbuilt checks to ensure that all essential data associated with the property is available from the outset. A data base to cross reference is only as good as the data held within it....Is this a manual system or computerised I wonder?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2019 5:41 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Just a thought.....Is this a case where the back tax might refer to your own existing property (since you say it doesn't reference a postal address) and has never been paid by previous owners (not picked up by your conveyancing lawyer), and you, as existing owner, become liable?

Like 1      
15 Apr 2019 6:37 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Error or not it needs sorting out.

Perhaps the clue is in  ‘’I was told that suma cannot chase debts over 4 years old. Any clues if this is true?

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 15/04/2019.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2019 3:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Last year the IBI (SUMA) for my sons apartment was not paid though my bank.  Cutting a long story short.  When I questioned the town hall  they said my son had sold the property. They gave me the details of the supposed new owner.  Finally it was discovered the town hall had made a mistake.  

Just telling you this as the ‘new owner’ like you, would have got a bill, for a property which they had no connection with, had I not got it sorted. 

Like 0      
17 Apr 2019 5:39 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Error or not, it’s stressful when there appears a breakdown in willingness by the authorities to get this resolved. 

John in your experience of resolving problems do you think that errors of this nature are quite common, or is this a problem connected with the need for translators to prevent misunderstandings, or perhaps a problem in the system itself ( which is just as frustrating for those administering as for those at the butt end of errors)? Do you have any suggestions to solve this type of error going forward?

Like 0      
17 Apr 2019 6:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ads

To solve this problem Ron needs to discover what the facts are regarding the property to which the debt is attached.   Until he is able to do that then it can only be a guess what has gone wrong and how it can be put right 

That the debt seems to be from more than four year’s ago adds the to mystery.   I understand that such debts can only be claimed if steps had been taken within the four years for payment.  But even that can only be a guess in the absence of facts  

Like 0      
17 Apr 2019 8:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well unless the original poster rejoins the discussion, we'll all be left guessing, regardless of systems, adminstrative bureaucracy, laws, regulatory compliance, blah blah blah, checks, counter-checks, accountability, blah blah blah, intransigence, corruption etc etc etc....

My guess (for what it's worth): there's a perfectly rational explanation & it's probably a simple misunderstanding, so speculating on this being yet another (perceived) case of injustice is premature to say the least.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Apr 2019 4:23 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

rono.

Have you got anywhere with this problem, I think people would be interested to know?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Love spain - 5 posts
Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, San Roque, Estepona, Tarifa, Alcalá, San Pablo, Jimena, Gaucín... - 3 posts
NIE - 3 posts
Mortgage problems with Sabadell Bank? - 0 posts
Today´s European Commission - Press release on ‘No-deal' Brexit preparedness - 0 posts
NIE new form - 3 posts
Traffic Fines - Phishing scam - 3 posts
Help - Father passed away - can't get money from Bank - 7 posts
Game of Thrones Season 8 - 3 posts
Short-term rental contract help - 2 posts
Big valuations of the past are favourable for you now if you want to sell your Spanish property - 0 posts
Abandoned Villages in Spain: come and buy one! - 0 posts
Is the EU responsible for Brexit chaos - 207 posts
New to the community! - 1 posts
Finding a reliable contractor - 5 posts
itv - 4 posts
NIE number online? - 1 posts
Firstone.tv shut down - 12 posts
Patronising "No Reply" email - 153 posts
UK Registered Car - 18 posts
Contingency Decree for Hard Brexit - 4 posts
New Mortgage Act in Spain - 0 posts
New Royal Decree on Housing Rental - 0 posts
Anyone in Illora, Granada - 1 posts
Resin sun loungers - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x