Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2019 16:21 by mackemman Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

i have just bought a spanish registered car here in the uk, the itv has expired but i need to drive the car to spain via france, how can i legally do this?

Like 0      
31 Mar 2019 15:18 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5246 posts Send private message

Unlike in U.K. where one can drive to a previously arranged MOT appointment, in spain that is unlikely, depending on who one asks.  Under U.K. law Mac you might be able to drive, starting the journey to an appointment, albeit in spain, to say a port of embarkation (an interesting legal point to argue) even so if one came by ship to say Santander, it would mean taking it on a truck to the ITV test. I would think driving through France would not be permitted either.

Probably not cost efficient

PS   Maybe worth looking at, but probably not cost effective either. Register the car in U.K. and MOT it, drive it Spain and then register it in Spain 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/04/2019.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2019 20:36 by windtalker Star rating. 1710 posts Send private message

You are not the registered owner in Spain /it has no itv/no insurance/no tax....why on earth did you buy this car in the UK.


Like 0      
02 Apr 2019 08:35 by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1837 posts Send private message

The simple answer is have it taken to Portsmouth by transporter and drive it on the ferry to Santander or Bilbao. Then ITV it there. You're probably going to discover years of unpaid Spanish road tax to settle when you try to register it in Spain at the address where you live.

Time is the school in which we learn Time is the fire in which we burn. Delmore Schwartz.

Like 1      
02 Apr 2019 09:12 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5246 posts Send private message

Thanks Micky.  

I had forgotten the law was changed so now one can have the ITV test done anywhere in spain

Driving to the port of embarkation as I said might be permitted under uk law

Extract from

  • You’re only allowed to drive your car when its MOT has expired if you’ve booked an MOT and are driving to the test centre.
  • If you’re stopped by the police on the way, you’ll have to be able to prove that you have an appointment.


This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/04/2019.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/04/2019.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NIE number online? - 1 posts shut down - 12 posts
Patronising "No Reply" email - 153 posts
UK Registered Car - 18 posts
Spanish security licence - 4 posts
Contingency Decree for Hard Brexit - 4 posts
New Mortgage Act in Spain - 0 posts
New Royal Decree on Housing Rental - 0 posts
Anyone in Illora, Granada - 1 posts
Resin sun loungers - 2 posts
Buying apartment - Fees - 48 posts
Manchester House Buyers - 1 posts
Ammex Administrators - Sabinillas - 3 posts
Northerners - 7 posts
WH Smith Corvera Airport Rip Off Water - 10 posts
Introduction - 1 posts
Tax and Residency - Staying in Spain between 3 months and 6 months a year - 6 posts
mobility scooter - 9 posts
Brexit effect - 102 posts
Exchange Spanish LHD car for UK rhd car - 7 posts
Firefly/Do You Spain extra charge for 75+ drivers - 8 posts
Suitability of Location for Air Con Units - 3 posts
Spain post Brexit for British residents. - 68 posts
Buying a rural property in the Malaga region - 22 posts
Campo delivery of water - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x