Tax on property owned outside Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Nov 2016 2:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

"The tax man is stupid, or so some think."

A friend of mine, tax resident in Spain, ‘forgot’ to inform Hacienda that he had a holiday property in Ireland.    He has just had a fine for not doing so and has to pay back tax with interest added.

He never told them but they found out.

For those who are not ware:  If one lives in Spain they must pay imputed tax (often called second home or holiday home tax) on all properties they own, which are in additon to their main home in Spain. That applies no matter where in the world the property/properties are, i.e. in Spain or say UK.

Example: My wife has a house in Philippines and I have a lock-up garage in Spain, we pay imputed tax on them in Spain

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/11/2016.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 5:27 PM by valentinaradu Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Totally correct. The Tax Man is not forgiving or forgetting anything. If you are a tax resident in Spain you need to declare in your tax declaration all your assets in the world!

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 5:27 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hacienda must have had some sort of reason to check on him, either he hasn't filled in tax returns, or income to high against tax to pay to low, maybe he has given them grief and opened a can of worms for himself, why did they single him out of the many thousands, English and I dare say Spanish doing the very same....Don't sound right somehow.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 6:05 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The taxman has an easy cross check with the Modelo 720 asset declaration form! 

If you enter a second property on there as an asset (which you should if over 50k€)they are going to be looking for an income to be declared on your tax return or a second home tax payment

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 6:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

valentinaradu   If you are a tax resident in Spain you need to declare in your tax declaration all your assets in the world!

I do not believe that is as you state it.

One must declare all income worldwide and pay imputed tax on property as I described, in June of each year.

One must also declare on a form 720 assets  located outside Spain if they amount to 50,000€ in any of the three categories specified by law, by end of March each year.

They are separate declarations.

See here for more specific info re  720 declarations.

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/News/BlevinsFranks/Article/spains-form-720-what-do-you-need-to-do-in-2015

Team GB. My friend does not have an income from his property in Irelands.   As I said, it was imputed tax which he was fined for not declaring and  paying.

Baz. The friend (tax resident)  of whom I spoke, I know has been declaring and paying tax on an apartment which he lets in Spain and on all his other income, pensions and investments etc.,  in UK and Ireland,  and has made tax declarations (paying around 18,000 €  p.a.) all the years he has lived on Spain.

Knowing him well and his financial situation I know it would be very unlikely he would have come up as a potential tax dodger.   I believe as we have been told, that with the exchange of information countries are now making, his error came to light just as a now routine matter.    

I posted this as a warning to all those not making full declarations or none at all, believing they can ‘live under the radar’ and escape detection.  I believe those days are no more

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/11/2016.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 6:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

John's friend "‘forgot’ to inform Hacienda that he had a holiday property in Ireland", so presumably he either didn't include it on his 720, or never filed a 720. Either way, if the fines etc. that were reported at the time the 720 was introduced are true / correct, I think he's in big trouble.

How much is the fine in relation to the value of the property, if you can tell us, John?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 7:08 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Out of interest,the automatic exchange of financial information will not go live until mid to late 2017. That's if there are no more delays!

Like 0      
14 Nov 2016 10:02 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The friend (tax resident)  of whom I spoke, I know has been declaring and paying tax on an apartment which he lets in Spain and on all his other income, pensions and investments etc.,  in UK and Ireland,  and has made tax declarations (paying around 18,000 €  p.a.) all the years he has lived on Spain.

Your friend pays about 350€ a week in tax to Spain declaring all his income in the UK and Ireland yet his rental property wasn't covered by this large amount of weekly tax, very unlucky I should say your friend is.

Like 1      
15 Nov 2016 3:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Team GB  Out of interest, the automatic exchange of financial information will not go live until mid to late 2017. That's if there are no more delays!

But we know Hacienda and Inland Revenue, now HMRC have been exchanging  info for years.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Threads keep vanishing ? - 8 posts
Mobile phones - 4 posts
Gas Conversion - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 4 posts
Organizations/Social Groups/Clubs in Xabia/Javea for 30 year olds. - 5 posts
short changed from ATM machine - 8 posts
Christmas day Santiago De La Ribera/San Javier - 0 posts
3 bed accommodation sought - 3 posts
FIFA Bans Poppy - 8 posts
Shower screens/enclosures - 6 posts
Equestrian rental - 1 posts
Tax implications of owning two properties, one in UK, the other in Spain? - 2 posts
Property Sales Warning - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Form 210 in English, and with instrutions - 54 posts
Taking the plunge - Moving to Spain - 13 posts
New members - 13 posts
Spanish official electronic certificate - 1 posts
The dangers of the new smart meters - 8 posts
AGM VOTING PROBLEM - 9 posts
Looking for a long term rental in valencia area - 1 posts
CONSTRUCTION FINANCE IN SPAIN – WHAT DOES THE TERM LOAN TO VALUE MEAN - 2 posts
Spanish radio - 0 posts
gypsy flower sellers - 3 posts
weekly newsletter - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x