What would you do differently?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Aug 2015 5:46 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

As its a weekend  and not many new post go the forum I thought I would ask this question, and hopefully it will help new budding buyers.     What would you do different if you was buying or moving to Spain again, what lessons have you learned from mistakes in the past ???  

This message was last edited by newworld on 23/08/2015.

Like 3      
23 Aug 2015 7:42 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Kicked the bloke from Atlas where it would really, really hurt.

Like 3      
23 Aug 2015 8:14 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

If I had a chance to do things differently, I'd stay at home in the UK and just come to Spain on holiday.

Like 4      
23 Aug 2015 8:18 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

As a generalism I like Spanish people, so I don't wish to offend anyone. 

But I would realise they have lower ethical standards which is probably due to a combination of the weak legal system, poor standards of representation and an absence of the basic consumer protection legislation that you would expect. 

In short, you're on your own chum!  So trust no-one, not even your own solicitor who may not actually be on your side, or even be qualified!

Like 3      
24 Aug 2015 12:14 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I often give the ( I am thinking of buying posters) advise and always start my reply by saying rent first before you buy l bought without renting first what a big mistake that was.

Like 6      
24 Aug 2015 12:25 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I would word this a little differently by asking the good legal firms that have arisen from this last decade of injustice to come together to consistently monitor and report their findings wherever instances arise that give cause for continuing concern, and thereby safeguard the rule of law by exposing any disproportionate favour, conflict of interests, contra legem rulings, regional inconsistencies, etc.

In effect, bring greater transparency to the system of justice and cleanse from within. (ever the optimist! wink)

Like 4      
24 Aug 2015 8:40 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

An ex business collegue of mine and his wife fell in love with the Northern Costa Blanca and ended up having a gorgeous 4 bed, 3 bath villa with pool built. They were certain that they could rent it to high worth visitors for a premium, the visitor's book and on-line rental callender indicate that it rents out for circa 12 weeks a year. Their cleaners/managers are taking them to the cleaners, they don't even complete a full clean prior to new guests arriving.

Their three kids who loved the villa when they were young now comprise of a doctor, a dentist and an accountant who don't use it anymore, however when they start families I reckon that it will become attractive again. Their parents have now downsized in the UK in order to pay off a good amount of the villa loan, however they don't visit it that much themselves, was it all worth it? 

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 24/08/2015.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 1      
24 Aug 2015 7:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I wouldn't tell anyone I speak Spanish, would never answer my phone or open my door. I would make sure I am totally illegal, fly by the seat of my pants and stay under the radar.

But that's not me.....!

cheeky

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Aug 2015 8:41 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

It's hardly surprising that a country that was a facist dictatorship up to 1975 has some wierd and wondrous ways of treating people who wish to come and settle in it. I suppose that the passive rule obaying brits are the ideal folk to be sold defective property and taxed until their pips squeak. However in 2013/2014 circa 90,000 brits packed their bags and left Spain for home, the French and Germans had done similar far earlier, perhaps the Spanish dream has turned into a nightmare for some. 

Like 1      
29 Aug 2015 8:57 AM by appyinspain Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

I would move to France instead.

Like 1      
29 Aug 2015 9:03 AM by tonydean Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I would have kept a home in the UK and bought a smaller property here. Bought in a village where I would have had to speak Spanish to survive. What are my likes and dislikes.. After 10 years my wife and I cannot cope with the weather. Brits with bellies hanging over their belts, tattooed, and not wearing a top. British women do not have a clue how to dress. The continentals are so elegant. Northern accents I cannot understand. Spanish food. The restaurants are appalling, Meals maybe cheap but why eat poorly cooked food?Tradesman who either don't turn up or try to rip you off. There is more but not a lot.

What do I like. Cost of living. Relatively quiet. Not a lot of traffic except for the summer. Health service. Availability of better quality drugs in the pharmacy. Beaches, weather September to June. Street markets, having a coffee on the beach in the winter. Cheaper diesel, Zenia Boulevard, Plus a lot more. I like Spain more than my wife does, and am happy to put up with its idiosyncrasies. My pension goes further than in the UK. At 72 I would probably be shelf filling or doing home deliveries. If we could sell our villa and recoup the money we have put into it I would be happy. The South of England beckons as do our little grand daughters. At the moment we have a feeling of being trapped which is sad.

Like 2      
29 Aug 2015 9:49 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Brits with bellies hanging over their belts, tattooed, and not wearing a top. British women do not have a clue how to dress.

Sums up your typical stereotype expat and Brit in the med and sadly this is the veiw of many Spanish and others across Europe

I would add a few

The drunks, the loud cackle laughers, the bad language (especially women) in public places

Like 2      
29 Aug 2015 10:50 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

These people you describe Tadd all originate from the UK where there are umpteen more of them. So no point going back there when Spain loses its appeal.

It's strange but that this element of Brutish Britishness does not exist in France or Italy. So logically there's something about Spain that attracts them. It is not the authentic Spanish culture which is the antithesis of their loutish behavior. The Spain that has been created as an attraction for these people has been deliberately created by the Spanish for economic reasons. They contribute enormous sums to the Spanish treasury. So no incentive exists for the Spanish to change anything. In a sense it’s exploitation of simple minds. It’s the expat who finds it appalling who is living in the wrong place.

I saw a group of young women walking down a Spanish resort street recently with the written words  “Slappers on Tour” emblazoned on their ample chests .Would they do that in Britain? Probably not.

Negative football culture has similar comparisons. It's a form of collectivly sticking up two fingers to society. 

Like 2      
29 Aug 2015 11:01 AM by ironwheels Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

It is sad that many people on this forum are not happy with their lot in Spain ,maybe its a case of under research or just falling out of love with the country. I personally havent moved here yet but have owned a home for 8 years .Being 61 years old and still working in the UK let me tell the ones who  are thinking of coming back that you are in for a mighty shock ,yes ,you may keep up to date via the news etc but its not like being here. Council tax is extortionate and services are being cut all the time ,we are being inundated with migrants wanting to come here who mistakenly feel that the UK is  El Dorado and the ones who are here are taking priority in lots of cases above indigenous people (and before I get a kicking on line I include black and asian in that) and take a walk down any High St on a friday or Saturday night and you could be back in Spain ,with the drunks, the litter, the swearing women and menwhen El Dorado turns into the Alamo.I enjoy my frequent visits to Spain and I know it has lots of shortcomings ( red tape ,the manana effect etc) but in my personal opinion I am much happier when there than in the UK .Ok ,some may say," see you how you feel when you live here full time " and you may be right but I feel that I have made the right decision to move there on my retirement. I may miss my grandchildren but I am only a 2 hour flight away( and so are they and I can offer them so much more when they come to Spain to visit than I could in the UK (just a visit to Thorpe park /alton Towers would wipe out my pension .The cost of living is another factor to include .Spain is not as cheap to live as it was a few years ago but it is still better than UK by around 30% the last time I tested it out ..Then of course is the weather and as I sit in my house typing this the skys are darkening ( well it is Bank holiday) and rain is forecast for this afternoon ( August in uk ,I love it NOT!!!  ) summer is my favourite day of the year over here . Maybe we are moving away from what this forum was supposedly asking and if I was asked I would say .

1.Do your research thoroughly.

2 Do not go with a lawyer that your building company suggests .(ask people already there for an independent lawyer recommendation)

3 Take your time ,it took me 3 years to make my decision. 

4 Rent first if possible .

5 Think very carefully about moving on to an Urbanisation ,although some are fine I hear many horror stories of little England and presidents whe fall just short of dictators.

6 dont try and fiddle the system . It will eventually bite you on the A---e. (not registering car ,not declaring tax tec)

Be happy.

Like 9      
29 Aug 2015 11:11 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

France and Italy don't build reservations to house the worst of the brits, neither do they allow said brits to completely destroy their respective cultures with pubs, sky bars etc.  The Spanish developers knew what they were doing when they were busy buying up scrub land in the likes of Torrevieja for 5 pesetas a metre back in the 1950's, their chickens have now well and truly come home to roost.  

Like 4      
29 Aug 2015 11:25 AM by tonydean Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Everything you all say is true. It is refreshing to read that other people feel the same as we do about expats. We are fully aware of the situation in the UK. A decision would not be taken quickly as to whether we would go back. Ideally  we would like to buy a reasonably priced motor home or static holiday caravan and use it as a base. Then we would have the best of both worlds. I thought George Osbourne had solved the problem of finding the dosh to buy something by allowing pensioners to draw on their pensions,  but my pension is in Gibraltar so I have to wait for the Gibraltar Government to accept the UK change of rules. All we ever seem to be doing is saying "if only"

Like 0      
29 Aug 2015 11:37 AM by tonydean Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

We have contemplated moving to France. Around Poitou Charente as it is only 7 hour drive to Calais. France has become very racist and also with the immigrant problems it is a major concern for us as we cannot tolerate racism of any kind. Oh well nice swapping moans now to jump in the pool. Yes at the end of the day we must count our blessings.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2015 11:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A bit of reserarch by the hand of honest, good, independent professionals:  relocator lawyer,  will make the difference.

As an initial piece of advise: I would never sign a deposit contract without previous legal review.  We see, one after another, buyers in a crazy hurry when choosing a property-- sometimes illegal--- and signing a deposit contract. This initial step can entirely compromise the rest of the purchase, so take it  seriously.  Do not allow agents or sellers to impact your decission making process in a way you will regret. Calm down: there are hundreds of good, legal oportunities in Spain these days.

We have written consistently on this since years ago:

http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/blog/property-purchase-spain-important-step-deposit-contract/

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 29/08/2015.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 6      
29 Aug 2015 12:17 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

What would you do differently?

Not touch the Spanish property market with a very long pole. Even at low cost prices the market is toxic.

Like 1      
29 Aug 2015 12:19 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

What would I do differently...absolutely ZILCH, NADA

However think there is an element of good fortune to be accredited as well as constant research ironwheels.  Think most of us have had heartstopping moments even though every " t"  thrice crossed.

Love where I live which is in a Spanish village. Every amenity within 15 mile radius but far far away from the Brit enclaves and the string vest brigades.  Returned to UK for a short visit a few years ago and realised everything had changed. So emergencies apart no more easyjet flights for me.

Naturally one misses the grand kids  but it is not so devasting as to be in the same town/ village in UK and still not see them. Has, and is, happening to many people I know because children grow up and apart. Add mobile devices into the equation and the only thing to get most folk chatting again is paralysis of the fingers....crying

Only downside is the devaluation of properties. But even that isn't really any big deal because the inheritors are going to inherit something that hasn't cost them a dime. So, they get less than they hoped for....big deal.....but still 1,000% more than most previous generation received.

Like 8      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PLAYING C.D. OR D.V.D. ON A COMPUTER - 3 posts
Tabarca Island - 1 posts
Cyclone Android X4 for Sale - 0 posts
Can I ask... - 13 posts
Maths Question - 9 posts
Bipolar - 1 posts
Furniture set for sale - 0 posts
Hi everyone I am new and thinking of moving to Spain - 21 posts
Garden Planters - 0 posts
Fishing advice! Help! - 0 posts
tax - 4 posts
Ski jobs - 0 posts
Help me to check the company in MURCIA - 5 posts
Smoking In Spain - 8 posts
Unaminity votes - 13 posts
Dog barking - 13 posts
Long term/annual car parking at Alicante & Murcia airports - 3 posts
Hi hoping to move to spain - 4 posts
Hispano-Suiza - 3 posts
Cars for sale - 3 posts
Closing an account with Caixa Catalunya from the UK - 0 posts
Exporting car from Spain to UK on behalf of my Grandad - 3 posts
exchanging driving licences - 11 posts
Would you shop anyone? - 56 posts
sublet property - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 115

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x