Dog barking

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2015 2:56 PM by petnetty Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Does anyone have advice about the law and incessant dogs barking,my friend has a neighbour with two dogs who bark day and night.

Body p

Like 0      
18 Aug 2015 3:45 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

There may be a local noise nuisance law, but this is unlikely and generally there is nothing like that in Spain.

The Police can be quite responsive, if that becomes necessary.  But no doubt they will expect you to have spoken to the neighbours and made them aware of your concerns.  If you are obliged to involve the Police make sure that it is at a time when the dogs are in full voice.

If it was me I would try and obtain the support and involve others to depersonalise the complaint.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2015 4:48 PM by petnetty Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks Acer,what adds to the problem is the neighbour is a Guardia civil officer,fortunately he is renting,contact has been made with the English owner & hopefully the rental will not be renewed.It is an awful problem with very little help available.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2015 4:54 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Unfortunately, barking dogs are a fact of life in Spain. (look throught this forum, there are numerous compaints) I have often wondered if the Spanish are deaf as noise doesn't seem to bother them! Acer's suggestions are good if your friend can involve others. Is this home in a community, if so can she/he speak to the president?

TBH the major reason we sold up in Spain was the unacceptable (to us) noise levels. Over time, the farmland behind our apartment was taken over by someone keeping dogs, horses, a donkey, chickens, ducks but even worse were the screaming cockerells and peacocks. The noise at night was horrendous and we just couldn't sleep. I don't think that place even had planning permission as extra buildings sprouted like mushrooms. Most of our Spanish neighbours didn't seem too bothered so we decided to call it a day.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2015 5:08 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I can totally understand GB45, but we're all different and as far as petnetty is concerned I would persevere.  Tell the Guardia Civil officer that the noise is unacceptable as politely as can be done.  The report it as you would regardless, making sure the dogs were barking at the time.  If there are no supportive neighbours that is unfortunate, perhaps someone else suitable?

It might work, so long as you keep it pleasant there shouldn't be an adverse reaction, but not an easy one.

Failing that, buy some ear plugs!  But good luck!

Like 0      
18 Aug 2015 8:17 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Unfortunately, as far as the law is concerned there is nothing you can do about it. The law here states that you can make a claim if the dog is left outside and is barking. However, balconies, terraces, gardens and yards are not classed as outside as they are within the property (I know, that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard too) so there's nothing you can do. A woman in our village has five dogs that are causing problems for her neighbours. They have complained to her and to the local police and the police have told them that as they are within the property, there's nothing they can do. Also, from what my Spanish partner tells me, they have a decibel limit here between certain hours of the night but the limit is so high that a dog's bark doesn't actually exceed this limit. That's what she tells me but I don't think the Spanish understand their own laws anymore than we do. I suffer from the same problem where I live now, I also suffered at my last house in Spain and it seems that regardless of whether you live in a flat in the city or a castle in the countryside, your neighbours will have dogs, they will be left outside all hours of the day and they will bark a lot.

I sleep with earplugs in and keep myself busy after work to avoid going mad.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2015 7:38 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

As a man on the inside, I was hoping there might be some words of advice from Johnzx as how to deal with a problem like this when the miscreant is a member of the Guardia Civil. 

I've had no dealings whatever with the any part of the Spanish police during my 15 years of living partially in Spain (long may it so remain!).  But I have heard that they are a bit like the UK was 50 years ago, "looking after their own", so I understand petnetty's implied reluctance to make a complaint.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2015 9:18 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Perhaps the noise of the dog barking in Spain triggered of the dispute.

Like 2      
20 Aug 2015 10:35 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Acer. As a man on the inside, I was hoping there might be some words of advice from Johnzx as how to deal with a problem like this when the miscreant is a member of the Guardia Civil. 

I have no personal knowledge in Spain on that, however, the police are subject to the law just like any other citizen, so if one has a genuine complaint make a denuncia.  

Generally speaking in the UK, not only are they subject to the law, but many expect a much higher standard of them than the population from which they come. 

In another thread, a post said that one of the police officers on the Magaluf attachment,  who allegedly wrote somewhere that when she finishes her shift she was going out to drink, thought she should get the sack for that. i.e. acting just like any other citizen when not working.

However, back to Spain:  A man was fined 300 euros the other day for calling a police officer ‘mate' (colega)    Article 37.4 "the lack of respect and consideration provided to a member of the security Forces.

In addition to that,  there are offences contrary to the criminal code in Spain in relation to libel/slander against the police. I understand that would include making posts which could result in legal action against the owner of the site and the poster.

So maybe one should be careful when making broad allegations against the police in general or in partcular in Spain. It is certainly something I would avoid, (even if I still had a warrant card) 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 20/08/2015.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2015 12:10 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Thanks for yours Johnzx.  

I'm not saying the British police are perfect, but my experience in recent years has been very positive.  In my youth I had a couple of silly situations where an individual PC behaved unprofessionally towards me for personal reasons and I had to make a fuss to sort matters - the attitude was well portrayed in the series involving Philip Glenister in "Life on Mars". 

These days I reckon the British police are about as good as you could reasonably hope for - there'll always be the occasional exception.  But I reckon the Spanish police could learn from them too, in my mind it's wrong that you are obliged to be wary of saying a word out of place to them.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Long term/annual car parking at Alicante & Murcia airports - 3 posts
Hi hoping to move to spain - 4 posts
Hispano-Suiza - 3 posts
Cars for sale - 3 posts
Closing an account with Caixa Catalunya from the UK - 0 posts
Exporting car from Spain to UK on behalf of my Grandad - 3 posts
exchanging driving licences - 11 posts
Would you shop anyone? - 56 posts
sublet property - 1 posts
Complaints book/Hoja de reclamaciones - 8 posts
heating your home in the winter - 21 posts
van from Barcelona to North Wales - 0 posts
NEW! Banks condemned to repay on illegal mortgages - 20 posts
British Bobbies In Magaluf - 34 posts
Teenagers in Playa Flamenca - 0 posts
HOW TO TRANSFER PHOTOS FROM LAPTOP TO C.D.DISK - 1 posts
Shopping on Sunday!! - 8 posts
Wealth Tax - 7 posts
CAJAMAR BANK CLOSING PENSIONERS BANK ACCOUNT - 7 posts
Aeromax wireless internet - 3 posts
WANTED long term rental murcia or benidorm - 0 posts
Non EU Residencia renewal - 3 posts
Key Holder in Villamartin - 3 posts
Television - poor signal - 1 posts
Legal tip 1315. NEW! MANILVA COSTA S.A. - BANK ACTION WON IN FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAIXABANK S.A. FOR A BUYER AT JARDINES DE MANILVA - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x