Moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2014 11:37 AM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi guys

i am looking to move to spain (hopefully) in the near future and need help with how to go about this.

I have been looking at Murcia and would like information from others who have moved there?

i have 2 children aged 3 and 8 so would like to know what options i have in relation to schooling?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated as i havent really looked into it yet

thanks

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 1:23 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you can support yourself financially when you are living Spain then go for it if you require a Job to support a family then forget it sorry to be blunt.

Like 1      
11 Aug 2014 1:26 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

hi

i work offshore so would be able to keep my job when i move.

not sure how that would work for tax.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 3:04 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Know a few off shore workers who live near the city of Lorca ,Murcia area of Spain. Approx 1.15 mins from San Javier airport . Many excellent  local schools , colleges and other facilities.

re tax. Best to inquire via UK tax office.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 3:15 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

thanks floella

do you know any websites to look for long term rental properties?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 3:33 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Most agents here advertise on rightmove.co.uk...or could be .com. But don't know if they are any rentals or just sales.

Will PM you website of local Spanish agent, who speaks good English, and you can see if any properties appeal.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 3:42 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

ok that would be great

so how long have you been there and are you happy you moved?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 4:04 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

8 years and love it. Obviously our children are grown, so schooling not a priority, and although one does need a car, because it is tooooo hot sometimes to walk. In my village , as in neighbouring ones here, we have everything we need to be self sufficient close by but properties with large gardens so lots of space.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 4:11 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

what like are house prices and cost of living?

its sounding good so far

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 4:20 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Annual cost of living here , excluding rent, on par ,in euros, with your costs in UK in £.

House prices vary. From 250€ to over 1mil €. Based primarily on what the seller has personally valued his property at. But all properties at least 3 + bedrooms with a minimum of 5,000 sq m of garden space will pools etc.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 4:32 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

11 Aug 2014 5:31 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The OP does not say why he/she has chosen Spain as his preferred destination. I'm interested to know his/her reasons. There seems to be an acceptance on here that it's a good idea. Mainly perhaps because most contributors have already made that choice themselves.

There are many other destinations across the world that may offer an improved lifestyle compared to UK. Many Spanish people are now leaving to seek a better life elsewhere because of economic deprivation. I read somewhere that net emigration in Spain is higher now than it's ever been. So why is Spain perceived by many British people as a good idea? It cannot be just because of climate, can it? Cost of living is relatively high depending on your values. Taxation is high by any standard. Property is now cheap compared to most other countries in Europe so perhaps that's a clue.

Spain is a good country but there are many others that equally offer something that's often misunderstood or more difficult to assimilate into in the short term. However in the long term hugely more rewarding.

Like 1      
11 Aug 2014 6:52 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

He says in his post-------------I have been looking at Murcia and wo.uld like information from others who have moved there

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 9:18 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

my first choices were australia, canada and usa but pretty impossible to get into.

i know spain is in trouble just now but its right on doorstep so handy for family.

getin the kids a school and us all learning the language is my main concerns.

ive seen a few properties at golf resorts but dont know which resorts are fnshd and which ones are ghost towns

Like 0      
11 Aug 2014 10:31 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Mickyfinn. 

I think you might find that the Spanish who have left Spain are for the most part the young people who haven't a cats chance in hell of work in Spain, I have met many who have said no work, no money, all have been the young ones, haven't met any older generation who would leave or have left.

The weather is the biggest selling point along with a certain amount of relaxation in the lifestyle, taxation is getting bad here now in the UK, and changing for the worse every month or budget time.

You want price rise's look no further then here, if you don't buy it today tomorrow it's gone up.

Another point to remember as to why do people want Spain is because it's in the EU and we can move over with relative ease unlike as been said with many other countries.

England has changed beyond what anyone who left it 8-10 years ago could ever believe it would, come back and feel the shock.

Like 2      
12 Aug 2014 7:44 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Yes I agree with those comments Baz. The UK I knew over 30 years ago has long gone. I guess it depends on your personal values but a little struggle at first for a more sustainable life in Australia or Canada looks a more attractive idea for bringing up a family in my view than Spain. If he finds that difficult it's nothing compared to what he will face in Spain.

Murcia is a very poor region of Spain. It has attractive areas in the north of the province but the coastal strips are tatty and the hinterland dedicated to industrial agriculture. I don't think a golf resort in Murcia is a suitable place to integrate children into a Spanish life. They are basically holiday camps and deserted in winter except for a few oldies. They are separate from any active Spanish community. Property is also cheap for a reason usually because of massive overhead costs. Most avenues of employment are already taken up by an existing expat community in these places and even they are struggling despite what they will tell you.

I would advise the OP if he wants to come to Spain to move to a thriving Spanish village or town in the north of Murcia. Get some language skills before moving and some work skills he can sell to the Spanish. It will be very tough economically to become established but in the long run his children will be much better prepared for a sustainable life in Spain. 

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 8:48 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Beach1980

Schools in general are very good.

The children start school at 6. For your younger children they can go to pre-school (free) at most local schools from 3 yrs old. For the 2yr old, only option would be private nursery or wait until he / she is 3.

For the 8yr old it will be tough for the first year but he / she will be OK in a good Spanish school. Recommend you start intensive Spanish courses for the 8yr old ASAP and ensure you have a good private tutor when you get here who will work with the same curriculum as the school (take the private tutor to meet the teachers and understand what they need etc.) .

Understanding Spanish (especially grammar) for the parents is very important to assist with school homework etc.

Alternative there are private international schools but do your research.

Good Luck

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 10:04 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the posts before answering. 

OP has stated.."he works off shore"  but would like family to relocate to Murcia and was inquiring about schools. Therefore renting on a mostly abandoned golf resort isn't ideal.. Could be in this instance because of the weather for all off shore workers in my area come from the north Englamd or Scotland.  

Maybe once visited , and investigated, Murcia isn't for him but this once predominately farming  region and coastline, certainly isn't tatty and the inhabitants are far from poor now. Lorca area  thefamilies abandoning farming to become professional  folk with  50% speaking good English. So education here must be good. Best thing about it is, for the most part, it isn't overloaded with vacant holiday communities and there are fewer Brits than else where in Spain.

The fact the region is to my liking doesn't mean it will suit others. OP is serious he will take on board what has been said, by all, and thoroughly investigate.

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 12:52 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Mickeyfinn - it is not a question of a bit of a struggle, the OP has already said that he would have considered US, Canada or Australia, but they are impossible to get in unless you meet very strict criteria.  So for me, Spain looks like a good choice.   There are quite a few off shore workers around the Almeria area - if that is of any interest to the OP.  

I don't know about the schools in the area though - but the advice to work on the Spanish is excellent.  

Good luck, and don't be put off. 

Like 2      
12 Aug 2014 1:31 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Floella, it seems to me that Mickeyfinn has a downer on Murcia, he never misses an opportunity to make negative comments whenever Murcia is mentioned.  I hardly know inland Spain at all, but I've lived on the coastal areas of CDS, Valencia & Murcia and they all have their good and "tatty" parts.  Murcia is certainly less developed that most other coastal areas, but the house prices and cost of living compares well and the OP is right to include the area in his shortlist.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Sale or Swap - 0 posts
YourViva and other 'News' Items on SPI. - 2 posts
Airport Transfer Friday 15th - 5 posts
Broadband speeds on new connection for an extended stay - 0 posts
Advice or ideas Please - 7 posts
Anual travel insurance. - 6 posts
smoking rules around a private community pool - 2 posts
high cost of used cars in Spain - 8 posts
Help!! Completion of Modelo 210 online - 6 posts
Solar Power - 11 posts
Best PAYG Sim only or Phone deal August 2014 - 5 posts
Road Tax - 10 posts
Is this a good mortgage rate? - 2 posts
newby needs help! - 4 posts
Spains retro asset grab on Pensioners - 4 posts
capital gains tax when selling property - 4 posts
DRIVING UK-SPAIN / SPAIN-UK please read below - 0 posts
TORREVIEJA VERSUS VILLAMARTIN. - 1 posts
recommendations for hotels near murcia court - 4 posts
Glaucoma and Cataract Operation - 0 posts
New to Forum - 3 posts
Spain registered car in uk ( originally uk registered) - 5 posts
Internet - 13 posts
Advice needed on air con, villa Martin Costa blanca area - 3 posts
night view of spain from satellite - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x