Moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Aug 2014 1:57 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Maybe because Mickeyfinn only knows the purpose built  , mostly horrendous, golf urbanisations built near lifeless bland surroundings so  would agree with him regarding those. But that isn't the real Murcia which compared to the adjoining part of Almeria and it's miles of never ending rows of covered poly tunnels looks positively green and lush.

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 2:06 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well that is interesting Floella, I always think that it is Murcia that has the terrible poly tunnels and always breathe a sigh of relief when I get into Andalucia!!!      Though I do concede that since the economic downturn, we have more tunnels in Almeria now than we did 10 years ago.     But whatever the rights and wrongs of how many tunnels (I am sure someone will come in with exact stats), it cannot be denied, surely, that the coastal landscape of Murcia, is flat and dull, compared with Andalucia, starting with Almeria.    I don't have a downer on Murcia, I think it is a lovely old city, and I stay regularly around the Mar Menor - and I love the Dos Mares shopping centre.   BUT for scenery, it is a bit bland.      

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 2:16 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Only ones I know of are the few  poly tunnels near Aguilas. Otherwise inland we 

have fields of solar panels.

Murcia city , Lorca and Cartagena are fantastic cultural places ..but Mar Menor....that's just another flat piece of reclaimed land with tall hotels instead of the beautiful mountains surrounding the plateau of Lorca.

Never said everything was beautiful but far more attractive and undulating than the Murcia and Almeria you seem to know.

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 2:17 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Flat! You have obviously never driven round Cartagena and over the mountains. The new Taken 3 movie has just been filmed there respresenting the Santa Monica hills. The scenery is stunning! Then what about the Sierra Espuna?

Saludos

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 2:30 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I don't have any particular 'downer' on Murcia but have any of the posters been to La Manga recently? I said parts of Murcia were interesting especially the north of the province. Caravaca de la Cruz, the Sierra Espuna to name but two places. I know Spain well and compared to other Spanish regions Murcia is in my view one of the least attractive or economically prosperous. The city of Murcia is different to the province as a whole and compares well with the rest of Spain but for me that's where it mostly ends.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 2:30 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Cartagena is beautiful - couldn't agree more.   It is also almost into Almeria (tongue in cheek).

I think we can all agree that inland, almost anywhere in Spain, there is breathtaking beauty to be found.   

But truly Floella, are you thinking that fields of solar panels are better than poly tunnels?  I don't think locals would agree......  

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 2:33 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Totally agree Juansheetisplenty - the Sierra Espuna is probably top of my list, an absolutely breathtaking area, quite fabulous.  We always stop off at the Monastery which is now a hotel - beautiful and quite unique.

But there are other places - Murcia city is rather special a combination of interesting historical buildings and superb shopping.  Not far behind is Cartagena and of course the almost continous range of beaches surrounding Mazarron and beyond, including Bolnuevo, Perchelles, Isla Plana and La Zhoria.

Anyone who calls Murcia flat simply hasn't been there with their eyes open.  Indeed when we first went there 15 years ago moving around the area was difficult due to the various ranges of mountains.  But now there is an excellent motorway network.  The mountains are still there!  But there are a few tunnels to make moving around easier.

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 2:39 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well - have a look on a good map and compare to further south.   Of course there are mountains inland, but around Murcia city, and the coast - it is flat.   I stand by what I said.    Maybe a difference in persepective?    A lot of people think of hills as mountains.    

Like 2      
12 Aug 2014 3:33 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Roly2, a quich cut n paste from Wikipedia:
<Cordilleras Béticas mountains and it is influenced by their orography. These mountain ranges are divided as well in the Prebética, Subbética and Penibética mountain ranges (from north to the south).

Sierra de las Moreras

Traditionally it has been considered that the peak of Revolcadores, in the range of the same name, was the highest point in the Region of Murcia, with a height of 2,027 meters; but in measurements of the most recent maps of the SNIG (National Service of Geographic Information of Spain), Revolcadores appears with a height of 1,999 m, and the mountain, Los Obispos ("The Bishops"), located slightly further north, is higher(2,015 m).

Approximately 27% of the Murcian territory can be described as mountainous, 38% as intramountainous depressions and running valleys, and the remaining 35% as flat lands and plateaux.
>>

Every winter many of these have snow each and the authorities often close the Sierra Espuna due to the snow and ice on the untreated roads.  These are not hills.

There is also a range of mountains all along the coast from Categena* to Mazarron and down to Aguilas.  It's about 30 minutes by new motorway but will take you at least 2 hours using the previous mountain road due the continous hair pin bends.

*(If you travel along this road between Mazarron and Cartagena will go close to the actual guns used for the filming of the Guns of Navarrone - it wasn't portrayed as being a flat area in the film either!)

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 3:38 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Only ones I know of are the few  poly tunnels near Aguilas. Otherwise inland we 

have fields of solar panels.

Murcia city , Lorca and Cartagena are fantastic cultural places ..but Mar Menor....that's just another flat piece of reclaimed land with tall hotels instead of the beautiful mountains surrounding the plateau of Lorca.

Never said everything was beautiful but far more attractive and undulating than the Murcia and Almeria you seem to know.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 4:42 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I did not say there were no mountains - point to me where I said that?  And I said if you look on a map the area AROUND MUrcia City is flat.   And it is.   

But we are distracting from the original poster's query.   Amongst all the stuff on this thread, there is a clue to finding something special in Spain and that is to either go inland or go to one of the lovely old cities.  

Plenty of choice so enjoy doing some research. 

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 5:47 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Murcia compares favourably with other regions of Spain.

much of it is mountainous, many towns are relatively unspoilt.

several beaches are blue flag, and there is something for everyone.

Some of the derogatory comments here make name wonder if the posters have actually been to Murcia!

Like 3      
12 Aug 2014 6:28 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Why is considered derogatory when a personal opinion is expressed? If Murcia works for you as a desireable destination in Spain where to spend your life then that's fine.

I feel differently. I'm not right or wrong nor derogatory or have any 'downer'. Spain is a wonderful country that varies considerably and everyone has a valid view of where they would prefer to live. In fact if you research web sites such as Trip Advisor you will see what I mean.

What folks think of something means very little. John Paul Sartre once said 'hell is other people.' Was he wrong?

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 9:17 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Roly2, you  refer  to Murcia City and surrounding area towards the coast and San Javier as being flat. This is true but this is the same as most cities in the world...apart from Rome which is built on 7 hills...so I understand. Lol

Murcia City is not the region, which is undulating and  attractive.

I have just returned from driving to Alicante airport via E15/AP7 . Driving the complete length of Murcia on this road. One has mountains, yes, definitely mountains on both sides. Saw only a few poly tunnels....by Alicante airport !!!.and a very small field of solar panels. 

Beginning to think that Mickeyfinn believes the Murcia region ends just before Almeria city , where the millions of ugly, but necessary, poly tunnels are situated, instead of 70 miles further north at Puerto Lumbreras.

Similar vista when travelling via AP7 toll road. 

True there are some areas of flat boring expanse inbetween the 2 motorways. But unless one is visiting a purpose built urb. hardly noticeable.

Like 1      
12 Aug 2014 9:29 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Hmm  - not sure floella.   There are a lot of VERY spectacular cities which are VERY mountainous in Spain - and the ones that spring to mind are those in Andalucia.  It is quite a big chunk around Murcia City that is flat, though as I stated before I rather like the Mar Menor and do not consider it dull, and I love the old parts of Murcia City (as I started off by saying).  It is just a perception - I prefer the Andalucian landscape - I am not going to the barricades over it.      

Like 0      
12 Aug 2014 9:46 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Can think of many more spectacular landscapes than there are in Spain.

Never been to CDS so cannot comment but thought the drive on E15 from Velez to Granda stunning. 

Murcia suits me though because I hate roads with sheer drops......a throw back to 1940' American black and white films where the driver was always looking over his shoulder whilst steering around hairpin bends..... So Murcia suits me well. Good dual carriages taking me through or over mountains so that I can see the spectacular scenery without the hazards involved.

Like 1      
16 Aug 2014 4:47 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

hi

thanks guys for all comments, im offshore so just got back on here.

yous have gave me a lot to think about.

i know this will probably have so many answers but if you could move anywhere in spain where would it be and why?

Like 0      
16 Aug 2014 5:25 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Tarifa in Cadiz. Wonderful countryside, pristine beaches washed by the Atlantic. Authentic white villages, green mountains in winter and clean air. Good fresh fish, friendly Spanish people, very few Brits and a mild winter climate. As a bonus cheap UK shopping in Gibraltar. 

Like 0      
16 Aug 2014 5:44 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

16 Aug 2014 5:46 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

is that where u stay mickeyfinn?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Sale or Swap - 0 posts
YourViva and other 'News' Items on SPI. - 2 posts
Airport Transfer Friday 15th - 5 posts
Broadband speeds on new connection for an extended stay - 0 posts
Advice or ideas Please - 7 posts
Anual travel insurance. - 6 posts
smoking rules around a private community pool - 2 posts
high cost of used cars in Spain - 8 posts
Help!! Completion of Modelo 210 online - 6 posts
Solar Power - 11 posts
Best PAYG Sim only or Phone deal August 2014 - 5 posts
Road Tax - 10 posts
Is this a good mortgage rate? - 2 posts
newby needs help! - 4 posts
Spains retro asset grab on Pensioners - 4 posts
capital gains tax when selling property - 4 posts
DRIVING UK-SPAIN / SPAIN-UK please read below - 0 posts
TORREVIEJA VERSUS VILLAMARTIN. - 1 posts
recommendations for hotels near murcia court - 4 posts
Glaucoma and Cataract Operation - 0 posts
New to Forum - 3 posts
Spain registered car in uk ( originally uk registered) - 5 posts
Internet - 13 posts
Advice needed on air con, villa Martin Costa blanca area - 3 posts
night view of spain from satellite - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x