Moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2014 6:14 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

In the winter months.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2014 8:45 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

A recommendation?  Málaga province, anywhere inland about half an hour from the coast.  But especially east of Málaga, away from the over-developed western side.  Unless of course the coastal urbanisations between Málaga and Marbella suit, and they obviously suit a lot of folks.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
16 Aug 2014 10:13 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Inland the spain without the tourists north of granada good climate nice folks lovely vilages lakes who needs the seaside.

Like 1      
17 Aug 2014 4:15 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1221 posts Send private message

Spain is a big place with many, varied areas. What suits some may not suit others. Some like to be close to the beach, others the mountains. Some like quiet villages whilst other like city centres and most something in between. If you like the look of Murcia then have a look and see what is available. I note not many have answered your original question about schooling except those in Murcia. As you are going to be away for extended periods (I assume this will be your offshore job) then think if you want ot leave your family in a village with no other (or very few) other Brits around or whether it would be better with some support from other people in a similar situation.

There are lots of places around and you are the only one (along with your family) who will be able to make the choice. Can your wife drive or will she need transport? Do your kids like the beach or are they happy in swimming pools?

I would ignore the suggestion about Madrid. A beautiful city and well worth visiting but you'll spend more time trying to get away from the extremes in temperatures at certain times of the year. If city living is your thing then I would suggest Valencia has more going for it. Lots of areas on the outskirts with some nice, and reasonably priced, houses that have metro links such as Torrent. Valencia itself is a beautiful city with loads going for it.

We looked at Murcia about 15 years ago and, like some posters, found it flat, dusty and quite frankly boring. However a lot of infrastructure and improvements have been made and it is a lot better now. Murcia and Cartagena are really nice places but you should check on the transport facilities wherever you move to.

You could pick anywhere you want providing it ticks the boxes you want.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 5:01 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

thanks mariedav

very good answer and has got me thinking.

would say kids would be happy with pool.

i have seen the kings college for kids but pretty darn expensive lol.

would prefer to be outwith a city

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 5:16 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Beach1980, I would think your first priority is to locate which airports, both from UK and to UK, service your requirements best and keep within an hour radius.

If your working shifts are 2 weeks on and off you don't want to waste valuable family time in travelling.

Once you have chosen to your advantage then come out on a recce to see which locations you prefer.  Your choice can only be down to you and your family for what one person loves another hates. 

Like 1      
17 Aug 2014 5:34 PM by Conchi Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Inland Granada area is freezing in winter. Many parts are colder than the UK. Sea level is warmest and cooler in summer too

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 5:43 PM by beach1980 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

good thinking floella never thought of that

dont seem to get flights direct from aberdeen to murcia

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 9:07 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Assume then that the off shore workers who live in my locale must travel to and from Alicante, which is a 90 min + drive via the busy E15. Not the best journey especially with the added distractions of young children in the car 

So suggest you look around the Alicante area, at least for he immediate future, until you decide whether or not Spain is somewhere you all want to live on a permanent basis.

Orihuela, perhaps. Good expat community but not necessarily on urbanisations . English cinema and surrounding countryside attractive and with greenest golf course I have ever seen.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 9:37 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well I would not dismiss Madrid.   Airports.  Schools of all descriptions.   MUCH easier to understand and learn the Spanish of Madrid.   The variety and possibility for integration.  The football - I can go on.   I would certainly not just dismiss it. 

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 10:57 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1221 posts Send private message

I would think an average low temp of 2C in the winter and highs of 40C from the end of July through August may be the reason all the Madrilenos disappear. As for football, Valencia and Barcelona would rival them and it wouldn't be a 4 hour drive to the coast either. Even our Elche now has a premier league football team.

Madrid is wonderful, I agree, but I certainly wouldn't want to leave a family there.

The Costa del Sol might be a good place to look. Direct flights from Aberdeen to Malaga, good train service that runs all the way up the coast and very different towns. Whilst Valencia and Madrid are my favourits cities, Valencia airport doesn't offer the same flight options and Madrid would be out for the reasons states.

If I had my time over again, I'd have chosen Valencia. Or one of the towns within 20 or so minutes of it.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2014 8:48 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I propose that we change the name of Eye on Spain to Black IS white.

I am out of here.    Like so many others........

Like 1      
18 Aug 2014 9:10 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Don't be petulant Roly

All I can read here is healthy debate and differing ideas, The OP is lucky.

Like 3      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Sale or Swap - 0 posts
YourViva and other 'News' Items on SPI. - 2 posts
Airport Transfer Friday 15th - 5 posts
Broadband speeds on new connection for an extended stay - 0 posts
Advice or ideas Please - 7 posts
Anual travel insurance. - 6 posts
smoking rules around a private community pool - 2 posts
high cost of used cars in Spain - 8 posts
Help!! Completion of Modelo 210 online - 6 posts
Solar Power - 11 posts
Best PAYG Sim only or Phone deal August 2014 - 5 posts
Road Tax - 10 posts
Is this a good mortgage rate? - 2 posts
newby needs help! - 4 posts
Spains retro asset grab on Pensioners - 4 posts
capital gains tax when selling property - 4 posts
DRIVING UK-SPAIN / SPAIN-UK please read below - 0 posts
TORREVIEJA VERSUS VILLAMARTIN. - 1 posts
recommendations for hotels near murcia court - 4 posts
Glaucoma and Cataract Operation - 0 posts
New to Forum - 3 posts
Spain registered car in uk ( originally uk registered) - 5 posts
Internet - 13 posts
Advice needed on air con, villa Martin Costa blanca area - 3 posts
night view of spain from satellite - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x